Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Do You Get More Omega 3? page 4

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    How do you eat the chia seeds? That's probably something I can easily incorporate.
    I soak them in filtered water overnight, then gently blend up in a yogurt, O3 egg fruit smoothie. But they are tasteless, so sometimes I just drink them plain, however I'm kinda hard-core & texture-wise (gloopy) my housemate won't touch chia alone in water, but she will consume it without complaint or even mention if it's blended into a drink. Unlike flax or almonds, it retains it's healthy properties even when baked.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    I forgot to mention that I only buy organic chicken but when it comes to steak, it's usually not organic. And the bacon I buy is not organic or pastured but it is uncured and free of nitrates and nitrites (they don't sell organic steak or bacon at my usual grocery store but they sell organic chicken). When I buy eggs at the store I only buy organic but I will start buying the enhanced O3 kind. Occasionally I buy my eggs from a friend but I recently found out she feeds her chickens scraps of her and her family's food and they eat a lot of grains and non organic foods so I'm not sure if I should be eating those eggs anymore. They are outside eating bugs and other stuff too but... I don't know.
    Well, "organic" chickens are usually fed organic grains, but are not pastured ie not roaming nor eating grubs, insects, grasses or small animals. And "Free range" really just means they are given "access" to an open door for x amount of hours/day, but chickens given free rein access of grains delivered daily to their coops won't venture outside their coops for grubs etc, as they are lazy given that choice. Some organic chickens are raised w/ supplemental flax or soy. They convert ALAs better than humans.

Grass-fed beef & wild fatty fishes (tinned, froze or fresh) are the optimal primary sources. Fish oil/krill is another option. Chia, olive oil are good supplemental sources from the plant kingdom. I eat walnuts more now instead of almonds(they have zero O3s), Walnuts still have some O6s, but are just a much better choice when attempting to improve my ratio of O6:O3 than my former regular consumption of soaked almonds. I still eat some almonds coz I like them.

Even 6:1, 4:1, 3:1 & 2:1 ratios all have health benefits. Is it easy to shift the omega-6mega-3 ratio of my diet to one that is more beneficial?
    Don't stress over this, just do what you can within your budget & patterns of living. Sounds like you have a lot of your plate right now (mediation)...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    A negative impact? I've never seen that in any double blind studies nor associated literature on chia. That's not what scientists are saying lately, it's still being debated, but more recent studies are showing post-menopausal women & women 18-35 all convert ALA into EPA & DPA/DHA better than men:
    http://www.lhwfoods.com/the-science/
    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Chia-seeds-raise-blood-ALA-and-EPA-levels-for-postmenopausal-women-Study

Even at the higher conversion rates, isn't there more n-6 than converted, useful n-3?

Eliminating any unnecessary n-6 seems like the much better bet to me.

Breezy111 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post

Well, "organic" chickens are usually fed organic grains, but are not pastured
    Yeah, I don't have access to pastured so I figure organic is better than nothing. But to be honest I don't like chicken very much. Too bland. I don't cool it very often and when I do I try to stick to thighs.

Grass-fed beef & wild fatty fishes (tinned, froze or fresh) are the optimal primary sources.
    I'll try to stick to this.

Even 6:1, 4:1, 3:1 & 2:1 ratios all have health benefits. Is it easy to shift the omega-6mega-3 ratio of my diet to one that is more beneficial?
    Don't stress over this, just do what you can within your budget & patterns of living. Sounds like you have a lot of your plate right now (mediation)...
    Thanks, I do have a lot going on but the mediation is the least of my worries haha. (Car accident from 2008)

I'm just concerned because I don't feel good most days and I'm not losing weight anymore. I also have little energy. I read Marks post about not getting enough calories and even though I have almost all the symptoms, I think I'm eating between 2 and 3,000 each day so I just don't know. Trying to make some small changes to see how they will help. I think I really need to give up the refined sugar. Maybe that's why I feel like crap most days.

jasperb is offline Member
    Is the color of meat an indicator of omega 3 content?

I eat a lot of beef from this organic brand my local supermarket sells and they use milking cows for their beef products. I'm sure they've been grain "finished" but the meat appears to be a darker red than the standard cafo stuff.

I'm just thinking out loud here but wild meat like venison seems to be quite dark in color.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234