Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Get More Omega 3? page 3

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Betorq, according to my scales, and an online conversion chart, 20g is 2 TBS.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Betorq, according to my scales, and an online conversion chart, 20g is 2 TBS.
    Fair enough! I stand corrected. Thanks!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Breezy111 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Why do you say it's not making much of a difference? How are you assessing your O3:O6 intakes?

Mark mentioned that he takes 3-4 of his Vital Omega fish oil capsules daily, regardless of his daily wild meat & fish intake. That's A LOT of O3 Marks taking in... I sometimes take 3 capsules of cod liver oil, but lately I just take 2. I eat lots of super-O3 eggs, fish & meat too. Though some PBers here poo poo O3 fish oils, there are lots of people, Paleo/PB or just regular folks, who take high therapeutic daily doses of fish oil, especially to treat heart disease.

Read more: A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson | Mark's Daily Apple :
    5. Supplementation Regimen: Every day I take 3-4 capsules of Vital Omegas (omega-3 fish oil), 2-4 capsules of Primal Sun Vitamin D (when Iím not getting enough sunlight), 1-2 Primal Flora and 1-2 packets of Damage Control Master Formula.

Might I suggest, try upping your fish oil &/or krill(expensive?), if you won't eat more fatty fish. And yes, sardines are little salty fish, generally packed in oil, w/ their little heads intact...
    Well, I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that mark suggests a goal of a 1:1 ratio? And the few times I've tracked my eating it seems my ratio is way off. Once it was around 26:2 and yesterday it was about 11:1. The fish+krill pills are expensive but I would considering upping them if it made a difference. Maybe I wasn't calculating it right when I added it to the tracker but it only changed my ratio from 1 to 2 when I added them in.

Here's my question: What does your daily/weekly diet look like? Can you post what you meals typically consist of? Quality & quantity...
    It's all over the place... I usually do IF randomly. Yesterday I stopped at Starbucks and had the unsweetened passion fruit tea, grabbed the bistro box and only ate the 3 apple slices, almonds, and 3 different cheeses. It's a wedge of Brie, one slice of aged cheddar and two slices of some other kind of cheese. I tossed the crackers and dried cranberries.

For lunch I was trapped in mediation so I did my best with the food they provided. I had a large salad that had pecans, feta cheese and what tasted like jarred red bell peppers. The dressing tasted like an oil and vinegar mix. I ate the ham, cheese and lettuce from a small sandwich and tossed the bread. Then had a small bowl of soup which had chicken, beans and corn but I only ate the chicken. Confession, I ate a bite of a cookie (my weakness) but I threw away the rest!! Lol

For dinner I ate two bowls of leftover soup I made the other day. It's an MDA recipe with chicken, avocado, heavy cream, chicken stock and some veggies. I had some shredded grass fed cheese on top.

Oh I also had a serving of unsweetened organic applesauce in the morning. Drank about 4 or 5 glasses of water.

The day before, I had that soup I mentioned above and two small filets of wild salmon that I cooked in ghee. I think that's all I ate. I might have had a bite of vanilla gelato... I'm trying to build up the nerve to do a sugar detox. I usually eat a lot more sugar than this but I'm trying to cut back.

Sometimes I go through phases where I will eat a package of bacon and some eggs or an omelet and maybe an apple earlier in the day with cheese or almond butter. I have a large salad a couple times a week. I'm sure I need to eat more greens than that.

Other times I might eat steak and eggs for my main meal of the day. I currently have a few grass fed organic steaks in my freezer but they were expensive and I got a deal on them so it won't be something I can buy regularly.

I used to juice a lot but that was way too expensive and time consuming. I wish I could do that regularly though. I was getting a lot of leafy greens that way.

Sorry this is so long lol. I eat a lot of bacon and steak and eggs. And butter. I got some grass fed butter and use it when I cook whenever I can. I eat a lot of apples and I try to get in a large salad a few times a week, I recently started using olive oil and vinegar as salad dressing instead of the sugary ones at the store. I rarely eat cooked salmon and on occasion I eat sushi with salmon being my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Sometimes I'll make a spread with cream cheese and scallions and put it on cucumber slices.
    That sounds good, I'll have to try it! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I agree it's not healthy to worry or obsess over something; however I think it's a good idea to try and fix something if you know it's out of whack. Fish is great for omega 3's, period. For people who can't afford fresh fish all the time (like me), canned or tinned fish works. Especially sardines, salmon and herring.
    Also, chia seeds are chock full of 3's; 20g a day really help the 3/6 ratio.

T.
    How do you eat the chia seeds? That's probably something I can easily incorporate.

Here's my question: What does your daily/weekly diet look like? Can you post what you meals typically consist of? Quality & quantity...
    I forgot to mention that I only buy organic chicken but when it comes to steak, it's usually not organic. And the bacon I buy is not organic or pastured but it is uncured and free of nitrates and nitrites (they don't sell organic steak or bacon at my usual grocery store but they sell organic chicken). When I buy eggs at the store I only buy organic but I will start buying the enhanced O3 kind. Occasionally I buy my eggs from a friend but I recently found out she feeds her chickens scraps of her and her family's food and they eat a lot of grains and non organic foods so I'm not sure if I should be eating those eggs anymore. They are outside eating bugs and other stuff too but... I don't know.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I am under the impression that chia seeds actually have a negative impact on your 6:3 ratios because the ALA is so poorly converted in humans.

EFAs, Fish & Fish Oil

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I am under the impression that chia seeds actually have a negative impact on your 6:3 ratios because the ALA is so poorly converted in humans.

EFAs, Fish & Fish Oil
    A negative impact? I've never seen that in any double blind studies nor associated literature on chia. That's not what scientists are saying lately, it's still being debated, but more recent studies are showing post-menopausal women & women 18-35 all convert ALA into EPA & DPA/DHA better than men:
    http://www.lhwfoods.com/the-science/
    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Chia-seeds-raise-blood-ALA-and-EPA-levels-for-postmenopausal-women-Study

Last edited by Betorq; 09-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

EFAs, Fish & Fish Oil
    Thanks for the info!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast