Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Get More Omega 3? page 2

Breezy111 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't worry about it. I eat salmon often. I eat primal as best I can. But I think worrying too much about the little nutritionism details is not productive.
    I'm not really worrying about it, I just want to know how others up their omega 3 intake so I can incorporate some of those ideas if they sound doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Well, yeah sure, worrying too much about one's health is not good for one's health. When I was in Calif & Hawaii last fall & winter, eating lots & lots of fresh wild salmon & fresh ahi every week, I was getting plenty of O3. Now back east since January, I've been supplementing with 2 cod liver oil capsules a day, eating many O3 eggs & yes as much grass fed beef, & wild salmon (frozen) as I can afford. Canned tuna packed in water is cheap. I eat mackeral & sardines too. When I eat foods containing O3 in any given day, I generally skip the cod liver capsules.
    I take fish oil + krill every day but it still isn't making much of a difference. Can I take cod liver oil in addition to what I'm already taking?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Dont worry too much however everyone is right. Grass fed everything meat wise, pastuered eggs will help.

Otherwise I take mega doses of fish oil daily.
    How much fish oil are you taking daily?

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    also check asian markets or the freezer section of your regular grocer. you may find small, wild fish for pretty cheap. some can be strong-flavored, so you'll have to play around with mustard, hot sauce, broth, etc. to see what you like.

my basics are fresh/frozen smelts or whiting + tinned sardines or wild salmon.

we're eating lots of lobster this summer too cuz t's dirt cheap again.

why is your 0:6 so off the charts? are you still eating grains and junk oil?
    Lobster, yum . I'm not sure why it's so high, I don't eat grains and the only time I consume the bad oils is when I go out to eat and can't avoid it.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    I take fish oil + krill every day but it still isn't making much of a difference. Can I take cod liver oil in addition to what I'm already taking?
    Why do you say it's not making much of a difference? How are you assessing your O3:O6 intakes?

Mark mentioned that he takes 3-4 of his Vital Omega fish oil capsules daily, regardless of his daily wild meat & fish intake. That's A LOT of O3 Marks taking in... I sometimes take 3 capsules of cod liver oil, but lately I just take 2. I eat lots of super-O3 eggs, fish & meat too. Though some PBers here poo poo O3 fish oils, there are lots of people, Paleo/PB or just regular folks, who take high therapeutic daily doses of fish oil, especially to treat heart disease.

Read more: A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson | Mark's Daily Apple :
    5. Supplementation Regimen: Every day I take 3-4 capsules of Vital Omegas (omega-3 fish oil), 2-4 capsules of Primal Sun Vitamin D (when I’m not getting enough sunlight), 1-2 Primal Flora and 1-2 packets of Damage Control Master Formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    Might I suggest, try upping your fish oil &/or krill(expensive?), if you won't eat more fatty fish. And yes, sardines are little salty fish, generally packed in oil, w/ their little heads intact...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Here's my question: What does your daily/weekly diet look like? Can you post what you meals typically consist of? Quality & quantity...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Mackerel and herring are pretty mild flavored and easy to fold into omelets or salads. Sometimes I'll make a spread with cream cheese and scallions and put it on cucumber slices.

The value of oil supplements is highly debatable, I never touch them myself.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I agree it's not healthy to worry or obsess over something; however I think it's a good idea to try and fix something if you know it's out of whack. Fish is great for omega 3's, period. For people who can't afford fresh fish all the time (like me), canned or tinned fish works. Especially sardines, salmon and herring.
    Also, chia seeds are chock full of 3's; 20g a day really help the 3/6 ratio.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I agree it's not healthy to worry or obsess over something; however I think it's a good idea to try and fix something if you know it's out of whack. Fish is great for omega 3's, period. For people who can't afford fresh fish all the time (like me), canned or tinned fish works. Especially sardines, salmon and herring.
    Also, chia seeds are chock full of 3's; 20g a day really help the 3/6 ratio.

T.
    20g/day? That's a LOT of chia. I do 2-3 TBS. Which I'm a fan of, after researching it & successfully using it for myself since late 2010, for moving my bowels like clock-work(Paleo was constipating for me, initially). ALA conversion to EPA for chia is pretty good, conversion to DHA is ok. It's got the best conversion of any seed. Perilla seed oil is excellent & hemp is ok too, imo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Read more: Dear Mark: Hempseed, Too Much Omega-3, and Vitamin D’s Halflife | Mark's Daily Apple

"Thanks for your website and efforts. It really is excellent and I really appreciate all the work you must put in.

Is it possible to take too many omega three supplements?

Thanks again!"
    Dan
    {Mark Sisson's reply:} Yes. Remember that we talk about limiting polyunsaturated fats because they are inherently unstable and prone to oxidation (which can happen on the store shelf, on your counter, when cooking, or in your body), and omega-3s are in the same category.

Polyunsaturated fats – all of them – are fragile, and very powerful. Remember that the only essential fatty acids are the polyunsaturates, and that goes for omega-3. Be careful with the dosage, as several studies show that while a lack thereof is dangerous, an excess can also be harmful. One study found that pregnant rats with either an omega-3mega-6 dietary ratio of 14:1 or a ratio of 0 (no omega-3 at all) gave birth to pups with impaired hearing; the excessive omega-3 group also had pups with retarded growth. Another study showed that when compared to a diet high in olive oil, a high omega-3 diet increased LDL oxidation in humans, most likely because of its inherent instability. It was overrepresented in the LDL particles, and the LDL particles were becoming more fragile.

Don’t forget why we take omega-3 in the first place. We’re not trying to cram as many in as possible. We’re trying to offset the imposing presence of omega-6 in the diet. Processed foods, vegetable oil, restaurant fare, and conventionally-raised animals all contain disproportionately large amounts of omega-6 fats. Fish is the best source of omega-3s, but few people eat much fish. And what fish they do eat is of the lean, low omega-3 variety, often covered in bread crumbs and deep fried in more vegetable oil. Adding omega-3 can help correct the skewed omega-3mega-6 ratio, so if your omega-6 intake is abnormally high, or you’re trying to eat better after a lifetime of Standard American Dieting, taking higher initial doses of omega-3 has merit.

How much is too much? Don’t stray past a 1:1 omega-3mega-6 ratio. If you keep your omega-6 intake low by avoiding seed oils like corn, canola, or soybean and processed junk foods, you won’t have to take much omega-3 to balance out the ratio and you won’t be in danger of taking in excess.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-03-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spacing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast