Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis page

melgirl is offline Junior Member

Chronic Plantar Fasciitis

Primal Fuel
    Anyone have any tips on how you transitioned to minimal shoes? I have had plantar fasciitis in both feet for over 1.5 years. I have tried an endless amount of treatments. My case has been very stubborn and I am at my wits end.

Stretching my calf and foot has not been helfpul and only makes the pain worse - which has stumped many of my healthcare providers because they always tell you to stretch.

I have had trigger point work done and continue it on my own using the "stick" and my hands. I am trying the minimalist thing again because 1) it makes sense to me 2) i want to be barefoot again (doing yoga and pilates) 3) I dont want to be in shoes the rest of my life.

I know transitioning into minimalist shoes, does give you a natural stretch. Last week I made the attempt again to do this and I had 3 good days but then the pain set in. I took it so slow and walked barefoot for 2-3 minutes at a time 2 -3 times a day.

Then it all caught up with me and my pain has gotten worse since Friday. I am hoping to try this again and plan on just wearing the NB minimus shoes and doing the same thing but every other day.

So I am wondering from everyone, if you've been through this, what type of pain did you experience during the transition.

diene is offline Senior Member
    The first time I got plantar fasciitis was when I started running in VFFs. I guess I didn't transition into them slowly enough. I tried to run through the pain, and it finally got so bad that I had to limp around for 2-3 weeks.

I've had plantar fasciitis on my right foot since late April. It's not as bad as my left foot so I've been functional this whole time. I was always able to run through the pain; however, it wasn't healing. I also got acupuncture for over 2 months. Acupuncture helps me with most things and has helped my foot before, but it didn't work this time. I finally got sick of it and severely cut back on my running. I cut out the long runs and then the short runs too--cut everything except the once a week sprints. It's finally started to heal.

So my advice is to stop doing whatever it is that you're doing that's causing the plantar fasciitis (or cut back significantly, as I did). Let it heal before transitioning slowly to minimalist footwear. My feeling is that transitioning to minimalist footwear too quickly or transitioning while your PF is bad will just make the PF worse.

Oh, and a lacrosse ball works slightly better than the stick, IMO. Also, icing your feet may help as well. Try acupuncture. It may or may not work. If you go to the runner's world forum, you'll see that a lot of people swear by it. When the PF on my left foot flared up about a year ago, acupuncture totally fixed it, but it didn't help my right foot. I have no idea why.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I use a foam roller before and after I run and other times when my calves are tight.

I don't know if you've seen this video, but it has helped me:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury

There's some good info here on transitioning as well:

*** NEW BAREFOOT OR MINIMALIST RUNNERS START HERE *** | Runner's World Community

I still deal with PF, but its bearable using the foam roller and trigger point massage. YMMV. I hope you get it figured out.

Roller the calves & stand on a golf ball(Roll it around your feet) It really hurts but stick with it. Do this for 4-5 days . As often as you can bear.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I use a foam roller before and after I run and other times when my calves are tight.

I don't know if you've seen this video, but it has helped me:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury

There's some good info here on transitioning as well:

*** NEW BAREFOOT OR MINIMALIST RUNNERS START HERE *** | Runner's World Community

I still deal with PF, but its bearable using the foam roller and trigger point massage. YMMV. I hope you get it figured out.
    I've actually gone to see that doc! I think the approach is good but it just hasn't worked for met yet

I am amazed that you all can run with PF. I haven't run, let alone jumped in over 1.5 years. Even going on a bike aggravates it -however the stationary bikes that you sit with your back against a chair don't as much - but I hardly do that either.

I have tried accupuncture, it helped a little but I was doing other treatments at the time so I have decided to give it a try again. I also am trying these magnet insoles next week - kind of hokey but magnets draw blood to your feet and supposedly have some effect on healing. If they work I will let you know!

Oh also that doc said I should be eating 100 g protein a day (for me - I weigh 135 pounds). I have been doing that and I think it's helping. I include a really clean, grass fed version of whey protein, called whey cool.

diene is offline Senior Member
    How did you get PF? You don't weigh that much. The people who get it are usually either runners or overweight.

With acupuncture, you should ask around for a good acupuncturist. Like everything else, you really need a good practitioner in order for it to be effective.

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    I battled PF for many years and tried every fix imaginable. Before I switched to VFF's for running, and during the transition, the only thing that truly helped me was wearing a night splint to keep my foot stretched while I slept. The best one I've found is the Strassburg sock:

The Strassburg Sock - Official Manufacturer Website

It has the advantage of being portable and lightweight. Any night splint is a PITA when you get up during the night for a trip to the bathroom, but there was no substitute for me.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    I battled PF for many years and tried every fix imaginable. Before I switched to VFF's for running, and during the transition, the only thing that truly helped me was wearing a night splint to keep my foot stretched while I slept. The best one I've found is the Strassburg sock:

The Strassburg Sock - Official Manufacturer Website

It has the advantage of being portable and lightweight. Any night splint is a PITA when you get up during the night for a trip to the bathroom, but there was no substitute for me.

Good luck!
    Did you experience pain while wearing the vibrams? how bad was it?

I have run sporadically. but I used to do a lot of aerobics and was overdoing it but getting away with it. It wasn't until I went sightseeing one day I started feeling the pain, then I did a hike and it set in forevvver. I had no idea what it was because I have always been pretty healthy and don't run enough to be injury prone.

I did a gait analysis and that showed that I was walking with my hips leading and not activating my glutes. So maybe my poor gait caught up with me.

I have tried night splints, stretching, endoscopic surgery, shockwave, orthotics...I think my last resort will be putting a cast on each foot and immobilizing it for a few months...hopefully it doesn't get to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast