Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Schools ' NO Bull$hit ' Training Discussion Thread ! page 7

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been trying to figure out what changes to make to my workout when I hit some lifting goals (soon). I tend to change up routines one or twice a year, since I've been lifting basically my whole life and need new challenges and goals periodically to keep me going. Current goals are 405 deadlift, 315 squat. Deadlift was 395 yesterday, squats are progressing pretty well after years of slacking on them. Not worried about adding much to bench; work sets this week are 3 x5 at 255. I weigh 155, maybe 158 right now.

Right now I'm doing 3 heavy full body days per week with 4-5 lifts each workout plus some accessory work if time permits.

Can't decide if I want to switch up to something like a 5 day split routine and aim for a little hypertrophy (not more than 10 lbs, max), or stay with 3 days but split it up by doing one day chest/triceps, one back/biceps, one legs.

I really like being in the gym only 3 days per week, and if I can keep making gains by the 3x split I'd probably want to do that. I worked out 6 to 7 days per week for years and have a huge capacity for work without getting overtrained or run down, but I've been really enjoying the less-is-more approach the last year or so.

Convince me either way. Anyone at a relatively high level switched to once per body part per week and still gotten good gains? Rep schemes?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

John Watson is offline Member
    Great thread!!! How much protein/BCAA are you all getting each day? I personally have gotten a lot stronger with dips and pull ups but haven't gained a lot of size. Maybe one day or year it will all come together!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I've been trying to figure out what changes to make to my workout when I hit some lifting goals (soon). I tend to change up routines one or twice a year, since I've been lifting basically my whole life and need new challenges and goals periodically to keep me going. Current goals are 405 deadlift, 315 squat. Deadlift was 395 yesterday, squats are progressing pretty well after years of slacking on them. Not worried about adding much to bench; work sets this week are 3 x5 at 255. I weigh 155, maybe 158 right now.

Right now I'm doing 3 heavy full body days per week with 4-5 lifts each workout plus some accessory work if time permits.

Can't decide if I want to switch up to something like a 5 day split routine and aim for a little hypertrophy (not more than 10 lbs, max), or stay with 3 days but split it up by doing one day chest/triceps, one back/biceps, one legs.

I really like being in the gym only 3 days per week, and if I can keep making gains by the 3x split I'd probably want to do that. I worked out 6 to 7 days per week for years and have a huge capacity for work without getting overtrained or run down, but I've been really enjoying the less-is-more approach the last year or so.

Convince me either way. Anyone at a relatively high level switched to once per body part per week and still gotten good gains? Rep schemes?
    Our numbers are pretty close, but I am still using Starting Strength Advanced Novice template (spaced out further to accommodate my other training) at the moment with pretty good success.

What kind of split did you have in mind? Something like 5/3/1? I'll definitely do something like that in the future. In your case, you could do each of the main lifts on its own day, then do all your fun bodyweight stuff afterwards as the "accessory" work. I've definitely seen a lot of pretty advanced lifters claim to do well on 5/3/1.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

What kind of split did you have in mind? Something like 5/3/1? I'll definitely do something like that in the future. In your case, you could do each of the main lifts on its own day, then do all your fun bodyweight stuff afterwards as the "accessory" work. I've definitely seen a lot of pretty advanced lifters claim to do well on 5/3/1.
    I was thinking about 5/3/1,since I've never done it but always hear good things from people who have, but...

Here's my deal: I'm lazy about working out. Ok, not lazy; I work my nuts off, but I HATE having to track and log stuff. That's literally the only reason I've never done Leangains or similar things. I'm at a very zen place right now: eat when hungry. As much as I want. Lift weights. Only have to remember 2 numbers--my squat weight and my deadlift weight from last time--so I can add 5 pounds each week. No counting calories, or programming notebooks, or whatever. Low - stress. I get enough stress everywhere else in life.

I just don't think I'm up for lots of tracking if I can at all avoid it.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Primal Kas is offline Member
    Mr. Anthony...I'm the same way. Over the years whenever I've tried a "regimen" either eating or workouts I get "lazy" in regards to tracking.

Now that I've stopped tracking and just starred eating when hungry and working out 3-4 days weekly I feel great and I'm feeling results (not seeing yet, but working on it).

Reading THIS thread is helping me to push forward and keep going...workouts feel like such a time sink at times, but I know the payoff when I get to go out and run around with my boys is well worth it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    I see what you did there. Thread about lifting. Ain't worth squat. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I was thinking about 5/3/1,since I've never done it but always hear good things from people who have, but...

Here's my deal: I'm lazy about working out. Ok, not lazy; I work my nuts off, but I HATE having to track and log stuff. That's literally the only reason I've never done Leangains or similar things. I'm at a very zen place right now: eat when hungry. As much as I want. Lift weights. Only have to remember 2 numbers--my squat weight and my deadlift weight from last time--so I can add 5 pounds each week. No counting calories, or programming notebooks, or whatever. Low - stress. I get enough stress everywhere else in life.

I just don't think I'm up for lots of tracking if I can at all avoid it.
    Oh man, we are complete opposites. I can't lift a thing if it's not mandated by a spreadsheet, and I can't rest until I've logged it in both my online log and my composition notebook.

In any case, the 4-day split for 5/3/1 has 1 main exercise each day, meaning Squat, Press, Bench press, Deadlift. You could do the same exercises but choose your own sets/rep schemes, and still do the bodyweight stuff as "accessory" work. Pushups and planches on bench day, handstand stuff on press day, chin-ups and variants on deadlift day, and lunges, pistols, and/or jumping on squats day. Or, you might like to switch the accessory stuff around so you're doing your body weight stuff with less fatigued muscles. Something like:

Monday: Bench press, handstand work
    Tuesday: Squats, chin-ups
    Thursday: Press, push-ups
    Friday: Deadlifts, lunging/jumping

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Or, you might like to switch the accessory stuff around so you're doing your body weight stuff with less fatigued muscles. Something like:

Monday: Bench press, handstand work
    Tuesday: Squats, chin-ups
    Thursday: Press, push-ups
    Friday: Deadlifts, lunging/jumping
    I like this type of setup. like I stated above somewhere. I like doing accessory work on days that aren't hitting those main muscles.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I like this type of setup. like I stated above somewhere. I like doing accessory work on days that aren't hitting those main muscles.
    Yeah, I'd probably stagger things somehow along these lines too. I think they're spaced far enough apart here not to interfere, but if there are any other suggestions, I'd be interested to see them.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah, I'd probably stagger things somehow along these lines too. I think they're spaced far enough apart here not to interfere, but if there are any other suggestions, I'd be interested to see them.
    perhaps...
    M-bench+chin-ups
    T-DL+handstand work
    Th-squat+pushups
    F-ohp+lunges/plyo

i'm really aiming for a 3 day a week split for the fall and winter though. especially because bow season starts in 9 days
    Last edited by not on the rug; 09-05-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast