Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Schools ' NO Bull$hit ' Training Discussion Thread ! page 2

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oldschool, Amen to your post. Fully on board with that, I'm all for low frequency, high intensity training. Single set of 6-10 reps going to failure.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    So we are talking about low reps, high intensity - would this be once a week / twice a week? Does it depend on other factors?

Also in training I read you have to think of balance - so if you do a press up, do the opposite movement as well - a row. Don't develop abs without strengthening your back, etc. Also using compound movements involving more than one joint is better, so a pullup will get you overall better biceps than a bicep curl because of the interaction between joints - it will lead to more functional strength.

For me personally, yes low frequency, less reps. I only train once a month, that could probably be increased a little but I wouldn't want to go past twice a month.

This gives my body all the recovery and rebuilding time it needs
    Last edited by Greenbeast; 09-04-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I do HIT lifting 2x/week with an upper/lower split.... basically this:

Workout 1

Pec Deck - 6 to 10 reps
    With no rest do Incline Press - 2 to 4 reps
    Pullovers - 6-10 reps
    With no rest do Chins - 6 to 10 reps
    Deadlift - 5 to 8 reps.

Rest at least 3 days.

Workout 2

Leg Extension - 8 to 15 reps
    With no rest do Leg Press - 8 to 15 reps
    Calf Raise - 12 to 20 reps
    Myotic Crunch - 12-20 reps
    With no rest do Hanging leg raise - 12-20 reps

Rest at least 3 days.

Workout 3

Dumbell Laterals - 6 to 10 reps
    With no rest do Shoulder press - 6 to 10 reps
    Chins - 6 to 10 reps
    Tricep Pressdowns - 6 to 10 reps
    With no reps do Dips - 3 to 5 reps

Rest at least 3 days.

Workout 4

Leg Extension - 8 to 15 reps
    With no rest do Leg Press - 8 to 15 reps
    Calf Raise - 12 to 20 reps
    Myotic Crunch - 12-20 reps
    With no rest do Hanging leg raise - 12-20 reps
    Rest at least 3 day.

Go back to Workout 1, etc.

Some Points Of Importance Are:

Slow controlled reps (I do about a 4/4 cadence).
    Only one set to failure, per exercise.
    Add weight as often as possible, while keeping form perfect.
    Have someone there to push you.
    Keep a training journal. .

Then I do some sort of metabolic work (i.e. HIIT/sprints) 1x/week. I'm actually doing a bit more frequency than what would be recommended though as you can see, but I enjoy it and am seeing consistent progress.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The pics of the old time bodybuilders are hot. What I like about them is they have some fat and aren't grossly lean.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    So we are talking about low reps, high intensity - would this be once a week / twice a week? Does it depend on other factors?

Also in training I read you have to think of balance - so if you do a press up, do the opposite movement as well - a row. Don't develop abs without strengthening your back, etc. Also using compound movements involving more than one joint is better, so a pullup will get you overall better biceps than a bicep curl because of the interaction between joints - it will lead to more functional strength.
    In my opinion the very minimum amount of exercises to work the whole body is 5.

1) A compound leg exercise ( Squats, leg press etc )
    2) A Vertical push exercise ( Front presses etc)
    3) A horizontal push exercise ( Bench presses etc)
    4) A Vertical Pull exercise ( Chin ups/Pull ups/ Pulldowns )
    5) A Horizontal pull exercise ( Barbell rows, Cable rows, DB rows etc )

If any area is really lagging then an extra exercise could be added to give extra stimulus to that body part but in general this would cover your whole body.

2 sets of each to total failure in the beginning and once you become better at applying maximal effort it should be dropped to one set of each !
    I would recommend a rep range of between 6-10, once 10 reps are possible some more weight should be added.

This is the most basic form of High Intensity training and is based solely on the progressive resistance principle. For some people this could be the only type of routine they ever need to reach their full genetic potential. For others progress will start off great but eventually the continual added weights will lead to aches/pains and niggling injuries. Fortunately there are many other techniques besides adding actual weight to the bar that can also stimulate an adaptive response within the muscle. I'll get to some of those next.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The pics of the old time bodybuilders are hot. What I like about them is they have some fat and aren't grossly lean.
    I totally agree, it is a much better and healthier look than the Bodybuilders that step on stage today.And lets not forget the women from that time such as Pudgey Stockton, they looked pretty darn hot as well !

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, she has a great figure. No mistaking her for a dude from any angle.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    In my opinion the very minimum amount of exercises to work the whole body is 5.

1) A compound leg exercise ( Squats, leg press etc )
    2) A Vertical push exercise ( Front presses etc)
    3) A horizontal push exercise ( Bench presses etc)
    4) A Vertical Pull exercise ( Chin ups/Pull ups/ Pulldowns )
    5) A Horizontal pull exercise ( Barbell rows, Cable rows, DB rows etc )

If any area is really lagging then an extra exercise could be added to give extra stimulus to that body part but in general this would cover your whole body.

2 sets of each to total failure in the beginning and once you become better at applying maximal effort it should be dropped to one set of each !
    I would recommend a rep range of between 6-10, once 10 reps are possible some more weight should be added.

This is the most basic form of High Intensity training and is based solely on the progressive resistance principle. For some people this could be the only type of routine they ever need to reach their full genetic potential. For others progress will start off great but eventually the continual added weights will lead to aches/pains and niggling injuries. Fortunately there are many other techniques besides adding actual weight to the bar that can also stimulate an adaptive response within the muscle. I'll get to some of those next.
    When I was a young athlete I had a coach swearing to do a full body program of 6 exercises, 3 days a week. That coach was a fundamentalist pretty much like Rippetoe, and you were a “pussy” if you did not do them exactly the way he told you! He hated bench pressing and we had to do very heavy bent arm pullovers instead, personally I pulled with 160 kg, pulling the bar over my face to get the scratches in my face almost like the dead lifters on their shins. Every exercise had two - three warm-up sets and one top set to failure (HIT!)

These are the exercises:

Barbell cleans
    Front squats
    Barbell pullower
    Chin-ups
    Military press
    Alternating cheating dumbbell curls (Heavy dumbbells, 70 – 80 pound, swinging them up by using the whole body!)
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast