Thread: Suggestions please, for on the go lunches!! page

Cestrian_mum is offline Junior Member

Question Suggestions please, for on the go lunches!!

Shop Now
    I work part time in a Pre-school (Kindergarten), and on the days where I work through lunch and into the afternoon, I'm really stuck on what to eat. I run the lunch club on the days that I'm in, so I get to work at 11:30, and finish work at 4pm. I do need to take something in to eat, because I haven't a hope of lasting from breakfast through to my evening meal (especially with so much food around!). I don't feel like eating my lunch at 11am before I go to work, so that isn't really an option. I can't take anything nut-based, due to children with allergies, and I don't get to sit down, either, so I need to be able to pick it up and eat it! Something really easy to prepare is also a must - I have my own kids to sort out in the mornings, so I don't get much time for me, I'm afraid!!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated (and probably eaten!)!

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I actually really like CANS of things... Canned salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel, oysters, clams... Even Octopus - had that today actually. And if you get the easy open cans, that's even better. Plot the seafood on some greens and you're good to go. Go for packed in water (and add olive oil or coconut oil) or get packed in olive oil and actually eat it. It makes a great dressing on your greens!

I also cook up some meat patties and store them in tin foil for quick meals. I am never without a few packets of salt - LOL!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    it shouldn't be impossible to go 5 hours without food if you eat before work. skip early breakfast and eat at 10-11. then have an egg or something after work and go home and make dinner.

if you "don't feel like doing that"...

tins of fish, yes, or plan left-overs from the evening meal.

the other option is to be more organized in the morning.

all those kids are little germ factories and you're eating with your hands and touching them and interacting, yes? sorry. gross. they're not your kids.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Jerky
    Hardboiled eggs
    Boiled sweet potato
    Fruit
    Bacon strips
    Chicken breast, cooked fajita beef strips, etc etc.
    smoothie
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    it shouldn't be impossible to go 5 hours without food if you eat before work. skip early breakfast and eat at 10-11. then have an egg or something after work and go home and make dinner.
    I agree with this. If it works for you, eat a really large meal sometime late in the morning. On days (because of class) where I can't eat between 9-3, I'll have a whole bunch of eggs, bacon, and maybe a sweet potato or some fruit in the morning to keep from getting hungry. If you can't do that, stuff like carrots, nuts, cheese, apples, and crispy bacon strips work OK as snacks.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Cestrian_mum is offline Junior Member
    I'm quite new to Primal, and I'm still getting used to the programmed "you MUST eat regularly!". Yes, I probably could go 5 hours without eating, and I'll give that a go! Late breakfast/ brunch is a great idea, too.
    For the record, other people's 'dirty' kids really don't bother me - probably why I work where I do, and most likely why I seem to have an iron constitution! I'm exposed to so many germs that I rarely catch anything. Thank goodness!
    Luckily (or not for the children!), most parents seem to pack a 'beige' lunch for their children, so I'm not tempted by what I have to deal with. You wouldn't believe the rubbish that they eat...