Thread: Intro: My baby's allergic to SAD breastmilk page

Intro: My baby's allergic to SAD breastmilk

Hi, folks! My name is Erin, and I'm a former RN turned stay at home mom to my 2 year-old and 5 month-old daughters. Previously, we ate standard, but homemade Midwest meals. Tons of whole grains, corn on the cob, lean meats, etc.
    When I was about 36 weeks pregnant, I started having horrible gas and God awful liquid stools. I assumed it was pregnant-related and didn't worry about it. A month later, my daughter was born, but my GI symptoms continued. When she was 5 weeks old, she started screaming almost constantly, which led to me pigging out on ice cream and chocolate to destress. She started having mucusey stools about the same time. We went through a month of this: ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1378239110.734459.jpg

My mom suggested cutting dairy and soy out of my diet, which seemed insurmountable, since it would mean giving up my comfort foods. I did it, and it helped, but she was still reacting to something, so gluten was next on the chopping block. Then grains. I Googled "dairy-free, soy-free, grain-free recipes", and all the results were primal/paleo!

She's recently had a reaction to me eating wild rice. Then poultry. It's been a wild dietary ride:
    May-Dairy, soy, and eggs
    June-Beef(Grassfed might be ok)
    July-Papaya, grains, poultry
    August-Nuts and wine (I'll add them back in a few weeks and observe.)

This diet has been a Godsend to our family. I donated all our whole wheat pasta, steel cut oats, and cereal, and changed the whole family's diet. My 2 year-old isn't a screaming grape addict, my husband isn't dying of hunger as soon as he gets home, their eczema is gone, he and I are both down at least one pant size, his asthma has improved, and best of all, my baby's happy.
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1378240215.361638.jpg

If any other breastfeeding moms read this, feel free to message me, especially if you're on an elimination diet. Don't give in to everyone who tells you to just use formula. Every commercially made formula is based on a protein my kiddo couldn't handle in my diet. She's not colicky, she's not high-needs, she's not spoiled, she's not "delicate". She just needs both of us to eat as nature intended.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Wonderful story! I'm so glad you have found this way of eating for the health of you and your family. This would make a really great success story to submit to the site, I think
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    That's fantastic! Well done for working hard to do the best for your baby.

I was eating Primal from about six months before I got pregnant (and I'm sure it helped), but at about five months pregnant I began to get bloated and constipated whenever I ate dairy. So I cut it out. The one time I've had dairy since giving birth, I was fine but my baby was definitely unsettled. Interestingly my husband also has a mild cow's milk protein intolerance.

Thanks, ladies! I think I'll submit a success story when I'm done losing weight. I'm down 25 pounds, with another 50 to go. I'm at 245 now, but was 305 pre-baby :/

Breastfeeding, natural-birthing, paleo/primal, dirty hippy mama who learned the hard way!

justme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congratulations on your new found health and wtg on figuring out how to help your baby!
    Both my son and my daughter are intolerant/allergic to dairy, soy, gluten and citrus. My son weaned himself at 15 m and my daughter is that age now but still very fond of her nursies.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app