Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Handstand advice for what it's worth ! page

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member

Smile My Handstand advice for what it's worth !

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed quite a few recent posts about doing handstands. Learning to do them the traditional way kicking your legs up against a wall can be a little iffy and possibly lead to hyper extension of the spine.

In my humble opinion it is better to work at them by facing the opposite way and doing Wall Crawls. This is an awesome exercise that gives you all the benefits of regular handstands while keeping your spine in a better position. Transitioning through from the push up position into the handstand position is also one of the best upper body exercises there is.

This is me doing them some time ago:

John Watson is offline Member
    Looking good!! Have you tried holding the handstand for longer amounts of time??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Nice!

They can also be a good progression to a planche if you don't move your hands as fat forward when you walk down the wall, stopping and holding your feet in the wall about a foot off of the floor (for add long as you can).
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Looking good!! Have you tried holding the handstand for longer amounts of time??

Yes buddy, this is a pic of me doing shoulder taps while holding the position. My intention was never to be good at handstands per se though, my only reason for doing the wall crawls and shoulder taps was to improve my shoulder strength/shoulder stability and general upper body strength.

John Watson is offline Member
    Awesome! I'm trying to get to a handstand! Currently, I am working on dips, pull ups, and squats M, W, and F. Walk 3-4 miles on T and Th. Rest and Relax on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Awesome! I'm trying to get to a handstand! Currently, I am working on dips, pull ups, and squats M, W, and F. Walk 3-4 miles on T and Th. Rest and Relax on the weekend.

Sounds good buddy, don't forget to work the core, that plays a huge role in handstand holds !

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    When we were kids we just did handstands out on the grass. Not sure why adults need walls, but I admit my handstand days are long in the past.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Handstands and training to do one can be good/fun, my only advice would be to ensure you have strong shoulders before attempting them.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    When we were kids we just did handstands out on the grass. Not sure why adults need walls, but I admit my handstand days are long in the past.
    Because we are weak and can't stay up and hold balance.

It's embarrassing to fall over on your back or on your face. And then you have to get your glasses fixed.

But the more we do them, the stronger we get.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hikes, yeah tell me about it. Even as a guy I remember easily doing them as a kid.
    I'm doing a few every day and gradually getting better.

Want to progress to be able to do the sort of thing Mr Anthony does (without the death defying)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast