Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Handstand advice for what it's worth ! page 3

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Just a thought- instead of handstands you could work on a killer side plank. You can extent the top leg up and grab the big toes with two fingers and pull that leg towards you keeping in a straight line all while keepi g those hips up. That's a challenging arm balance that will develop a lot of the same strength as handstands while keeping your head above your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Looks like this besides I can see my hip dropping down and back. Gotta get more strength in my arms and obliques. A worthy challenge for the handstand impaired IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Nice, Moluv, thanks!

I tried some wall crawls this morning, but if someone is interested in helping me build a handstand progression program... I'd appreciate it

For planks, right now I could do 20 seconds. I rested a minute and tried again, made it to 15 sec before I felt like vomiting. I tremble like a leaf the whole time.

I only "crawled" up to bring my legs parallel with the floor. I held for about 10 seconds until the headrush started to feel uncomfortable (but not TOO uncomfortable). Did that twice ,then ate breakfast =P. I'm wondering how long I should aim for in plank hold progression & how often to change up my wall crawling to progress to vertical (and then work on getting into a handstand myself after building up some of this muscle).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Nice, Moluv, thanks!

I tried some wall crawls this morning, but if someone is interested in helping me build a handstand progression program... I'd appreciate it

For planks, right now I could do 20 seconds. I rested a minute and tried again, made it to 15 sec before I felt like vomiting. I tremble like a leaf the whole time.

I only "crawled" up to bring my legs parallel with the floor. I held for about 10 seconds until the headrush started to feel uncomfortable (but not TOO uncomfortable). Did that twice ,then ate breakfast =P. I'm wondering how long I should aim for in plank hold progression & how often to change up my wall crawling to progress to vertical (and then work on getting into a handstand myself after building up some of this muscle).
    Keep up with planks and walk crawls. I really don't think you need more than 30 seconds on a plank. Keep wall crawling higher as you get comfortable.

Also, to get your body more used to vertical, try hanging off your bed (or similar object): like a wall crawl, but it lets your upper body be in more of a handstand position. Lift your butt up and push tall through your shoulders. Your body will be in a pike shape but your torso will be in a handstand.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, Mr. A, sounds good.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I really don't think you need more than 30 seconds on a plank.
    I agree with this. Much longer and you're in endurance territory rather than building strength. Id do more short duration planks target than longer ones.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Alright. For the more "advanced" folk. I don't know the name of this maneuver, but here is what I do to get into a handstand. Start sitting cross legged (indian style) on the floor. Press yourself straight up using hands. Yes it takes some core strength to get them legs up. Now rotate head toward ground while bringing feet between arms and start to extend legs vertically as you do a front press with your arms into a full handstand. Now walk around if you still got some strength left.

For me to get my legs through the arms I actually have to go to fingertips just for a moment to clear the floor.

Actually this is like a full body workout.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I agree with this. Much longer and you're in endurance territory rather than building strength. Id do more short duration planks target than longer ones.
    I think a minute should be the max.
    For a while I was hanging some weights from my dip rack leaving just enough room to crawl through so I could then lift the weight in the plank position. I was using around 100 lbs on my back. Not quite sure why I stopped them, thanks for the reminder !

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    I've been having a lot of fun getting to do handstands again. I practice by kicking my legs against a wall and also crawling on the wall. I've notice some very mild pain in my wrists when I do a handstand. Is this normal? It's nothing terrible, goes away in a minute afterwards.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yea its normal. You can try turning your hands outwards a bit to see if that helps.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Zach!
    Just tried it and it feels the same but helps with balance.
    Will it go away when I'm better at it? Am I building wrists muscles??? (feel so silly asking...)
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast