Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Handstand advice for what it's worth ! page 2

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I've noticed quite a few recent posts about doing handstands. Learning to do them the traditional way kicking your legs up against a wall can be a little iffy and possibly lead to hyper extension of the spine.

In my humble opinion it is better to work at them by facing the opposite way and doing Wall Crawls. This is an awesome exercise that gives you all the benefits of regular handstands while keeping your spine in a better position. Transitioning through from the push up position into the handstand position is also one of the best upper body exercises there is.

This is me doing them some time ago:

Neat video and great advice. I worked on trying to get my handstand from that wall position for the last two years and couldn't ever let both legs go. Kicking up from the ground is what finally got me there. Having the wall behind me gives me something to tap my toe off of for balance so I can stay up longer. I'm coming from a long yoga background so I think the handstands are different and have a different purpose. Namely, balance and focus then power and strength. It is also a goal to perform backbends in the handstand so the hyper extending is sort of necessary. But this is for people already doing the backbends in other positions. For any yogi handstanders out there I will say this- don't forget to do plenty of camel pose or dancer pose to open the chest back up, I neglected to do that for a few days and found the front of my shoulders and chest were all closed up, while the back of my shoulders were very loose and open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    There are many ways one can train for a handstand and different people have had different success rates with different techniques. There's lots of good tips and advice in this thread already, but I figured I'd add a little more. Here's a quick video I created with various tactics you can use to work toward a freestanding handstand. No matter what methods you employ, the key to success is lots and lots of practice!

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    There are many ways one can train for a handstand and different people have had different success rates with different techniques. There's lots of good tips and advice in this thread already, but I figured I'd add a little more. Here's a quick video I created with various tactics you can use to work toward a freestanding handstand. No matter what methods you employ, the key to success is lots and lots of practice!

Very nice Al!!!!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Do you have any suggestions dealing with the headrush? I've always been quick to feel very uncomfortable when upside down. The blood rushes to my head within seconds and soon I can't speak/think well and feel like my eyes are swelling shut =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Do you have any suggestions dealing with the headrush? I've always been quick to feel very uncomfortable when upside down. The blood rushes to my head within seconds and soon I can't speak/think well and feel like my eyes are swelling shut =\
    Keep working on handstands. One day you will notice it is starting to get better, and then one day sometime later you will notice it is gone.

Zach is offline Banned
    I wonder if some people just cant be upside down. Kind of like some people cant dive deep in water because they cant equalize their ears.

IMO if a freestanding handstand is your goal then you should learn to kick up away frim a wall as soon as possible. Kicking up to a wall gives you a crutch and wont allow you to feel the sweet spot between under kicking and going over. Either use a crash pad or learn to round off straight away and you can start kicking up anywhere. A few tips i found very helpful when starting is to look at the floor, not through. Keep your arms straight and hands slightly wider then shoulder width, this will help with handstand presses as well because you need a wider stance to do them. Keep your feet together and keep your body very rigid, butt tucked. The three points of movement should be a little play in your hips to correct from going under, shoulder for balance and hands to press your fingers for going over and into your palms for going under.

Balance and constant practice is key to holding a handstand but i agree with the OP that strength is going to help a ton and thats where wall walks help. Also wall runs where you walk your body up the wall to a handstand and then alternate your hands touch your shoulder. Of course handstand presses against the wall is key as well. Tons of ab work is also essential, L sit work, leg raises, planche work, planks, etc.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I so get this. A few months ago, my trainer gave me a handstand challenge. We always have a challenge of some sort going. My first thought was "crap..I hate the feeling of blood rushing to my head". For me, it's the pressure I feel in the veins in my neck and then I feel like my eyes are going to pop out. Happily, like ekatherine said, it goes away. I don't know why, but it really does.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Make sure you're not holding your breath; people tend to do this for some reason.

Also, learn to roll out of a handstand properly (straight arms, candlestick position, not folding in half) since it can be the easiest way to keep from getting hurt if you go over.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I tend to twist when I'm falling from a handstand. Flipping backwards scares me, as does rolling, but these are things I should work on. I'm going to start with planks & wall crawling and go from there. I have very little bodyweight strength. Thanks for the tips!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

moluv is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Just a thought- instead of handstands you could work on a killer side plank. You can extent the top leg up and grab the big toes with two fingers and pull that leg towards you keeping in a straight line all while keepi g those hips up. That's a challenging arm balance that will develop a lot of the same strength as handstands while keeping your head above your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast