Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Anti-Fiber Guest Blog page 2

hedwards is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    The only problem I have with people pushing fiber is that they often times are pushing it to people who have other problems. Fiber will not help you with regularity and cramping if your problem is some sort of food intolerance. My digestion didn't get better on fiber, or my cramping for that matter, but both got better almost as soon as I stopped consuming dairy.

That being said, fiber does have legitimate uses, and as such, a person should make a decision about how much based upon their own body and their own life circumstances. Metamucil and Citracel can be quite helpful at coping with cravings during a fasting period without doing any harm to the body. As one example.

otzi Guest
    Anyone with a bit of time could make the exact same arguments FOR fiber using PubMed and Wikipedia. What needs to be done is a bit deeper digging–we evolved a gut that thrives on fermentable fibers and produces butyrate in return. To wholesale say all fiber is bad is total quackery designed to sell a book.

What we really need is a scientific consensus on what constitutes fermentable prebiotic fiber, what is the optimal dose. Al the other aspects of fiber are meaningless: soluble, non-soluble, stool bulking, etc… this means nothing except ways to market bakery products and junk food.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hedwards View Post
    The only problem I have with people pushing fiber is that they often times are pushing it to people who have other problems.
    I think anyone pushing 'fiber' is just as wrong as those pushing 'no-fiber'. The term 'fiber' is meaningless. Sawdust and styrofoam are fiber--don't eat it. What chaff is fiber--don't eat that.

Konstantin's problem is he's taking 'no-fiber' to dangerous heights and people are listening. There are now nearly two pages of comments on today's guest blog--mostly against his 'no fiber' stance. He chose to reply to only one comment so far--this is his answer:

Nida,

…because most people prefer to consume fruits for taste, flavor, etc… To some extent, fiber-rich vegetables are even more harmful than fruits because, in addition to a similar sugar content, they may contain more fiber, particularly a soluble kind, which may be even more damaging for children and older adults because its ill effects starts showing themselves in the small intestine.

Read more: Dietary Fiber Is Bad for Sex – That’s the Only Claim About It That Isn’t a Myth | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ludicrous!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think Konstantine just suffers from putting too much hyperbole into everything he has to say. Basically nobody needs to supplement fiber. Whatever you get in the normal course of eating primal foods should be sufficient and there probably is no actual requirement for any fiber at all. You'd have to work hard to go zero fiber just like you'd have to work hard to go zero carb. So supplementing and completely avoiding are two ends of an extreme you do not need to do.
    +1. I don't think Konstantin is anti-fiber from regular food. He's just against people pushing us to eat fiber from veggies, and then when we get constipation, pushing bran to keep us regular, and then pushing psyllium when the bran doesn't work, and then pushing pro-biotics when the gut gets all confused. Soon the side effects, and cures, and more side effects pile up until it's all a Rube Goldberg fiber machine which totally obscures the root cause, which is too much sugar and too many veggies. Simply eat real Primal food, eliminate the root cause, and the constipation disappears without need for supplements.

As an aside, now that I'm Primal I found that apples are a mild laxative.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    +1. I don't think Konstantin is anti-fiber from regular food.
    Nope, he is anti-fiber from all sources, actually saying that supplements may be better. He is really anti-vegetable/fruit. I'm glad mark let's guys like this post, but it would be funny to ask him, "What do you think of me eating a big-ass salad every day?" I know what his answer would be -- 'don't do it!'.

His advice on fiber is straight out of CW. He was against all the healthy whole-grain, Grape-nuts, Metamucil, Wheat-a-bix pushing from 30 years ago and has railed against fiber ever since. The trouble is, along with undoubtedly harmful and unneeded substances, the term fiber also contains many substances crucial to our health--pectins, gums, mucilages, and even resistant starches. These are all 'fiber' as defined by KM.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I actually cannot eat too much fiber or I blow up like a balloon and get intense gas pains, so badly that I feel as if someone is killing me. I actually even had my large intestine removed because of my fiber consumption. There is definitely a happy medium.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I actually cannot eat too much fiber or I blow up like a balloon and get intense gas pains, so badly that I feel as if someone is killing me. I actually even had my large intestine removed because of my fiber consumption. There is definitely a happy medium.
    You had your large intestine removed so you couldnt eat fiber???

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Maybe Mark is on vacation and let someone else manage the store

I know we are all after optimum health through diet (and exercise) but sometimes in reading a lot (maybe most) threads people trying to over analyses or maybe trying to overly bioengineer their diets. It's a lot like trying to apply animal husbandry to ourselves.

I tend to step back and ask: Based upon evolutionary human biology that formed my ice-age hunter/gatherer ancestors' diet, physical activity, and body composition (Sisson's "Grok" is a good metaphor), how would I best mimic their diet and lifestyle to reach my fitness goals? I figure evolution had a longtime to workout the problem, and by following that basic prescription I'm probably going to be fairly close to those goals. I may not know exactly the macro ratios they were eating but I know what they weren't eating (or not eating throughout the year).

I don't know the Guest poster. He read like he was down on all fiber. I don't really care what he thinks although I think some of his arguments about supposed CW health benefits are probably overblown or non-existent. From a Primal/Paleo POV it doesn't make sense to go out and buy a box of All Brand to get my fiber. I'll just keep eating real food based mostly on my meats and vegetables. Now if I could quit drinking so much wine and snaking on cheese and/or nuts most week nights - but I enjoy them - It be easier for me maintain my desired body comp.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

hedwards is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    That shouldn't be happening if you're eating indigestible fiber. Metamucil will do that to some people, because it starts to ferment in the bowel. Citracel doesn't normally do that because the body can't break any of it down, so it's just roughage.

Sounds like you had diverticulosis. That's definitely a reason to keep fiber to a reasonable portion of the diet and a good reason why people shouldn't be pushing fiber additives without establishing that a person really needs it.

Obviously, if you have that much trouble with it, it's a moot point as to what the precise reason is, as long as you know what to do to keep yourself healthy.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You had your large intestine removed so you couldnt eat fiber???
    I had my large intestine taken out because I ate too much fiber, it couldn't move through, so it was going to explode. Quite possibly the WORST experience of my life. I can still eat fiber with it no longer in my body, however I have to be VERY careful. This is why I am a huge fan of the paleo/primal lifestyle.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast