Thread: Low GI food and their role in triglycerides page

paint94979 is offline Senior Member

Low GI food and their role in triglycerides

Primal Fuel
    What role do sweet potatoes, squash etc have on triglycerides?

To the top

otzi Guest
    I don't know if you'll get many responses to this...I read it yesterday and, for once, had nothing to say.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I don't know if you'll get many responses to this...I read it yesterday and, for once, had nothing to say.
    My thoughts as well. Higher carb loads can correlate with higher trigs, but there are too many other factors at play to even begin to give a good response. Maybe rephrase or narrow your question a bit?

Alright thanks.

How do sweet potatoes impact triglyceride numbers? Increase or decrease? Does quantity directly correlate? I am just curious because I have read conflicting information.

otzi Guest
    That's a bit clearer.

In my case, when I was a heavy drinker, eating Double-Stuff Oreos by the handful, Pringles by the canful, and bread by the loaf--my trigs were 2000 at one point. I developed fatty liver disease. Gemfibrozil was prescribed and got my trigs to 100, doc was happy and I was still eating and drinking like a typical SADiot.

I started eating Primal Blueprint style, very low carbs, certainly no squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes. My trigs dropped to 50 in about 2 months, I quit the meds at that point and my trigs remained stable at around 40 for 2 years.

After a while, I started adding in lots of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash and fruit and beans. My trigs hang out around 60, but my LDL cholesterol came down 25points to 170 and HDL went up quite a bit to 60.

So, I think to answer your question, low GI foods have no impact on trigs except to keep them in a healthy range. It's high fructose corn syrup, alcohol, and loads of refined flour that does trigs in.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Check Chris Kressler's site, he explains the connection in one of his recent podcasts. I'm not swearing that he's right, but he seems to be. A low carb high fats diet will lower trigs and raise HDL, unfortunately it will also raise LDL. So the TC raise or lowering varies with different people. Adding low glycemic carbs with thus then to do the opposite to the numbers somewhat.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase