Thread: red snapper prep tips page

Cristy is offline Junior Member

red snapper prep tips

Primal Fuel
    What's the best way to season/ cook the red snapper my husband just caught for me?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Where did he catch it? I only ask because a lot of regions call a fish red snapper that is a form of rock fish closer to cod than snapper. That stuff is damn good fish in most cases. At least of of SoCal, but it isn't the buttery perfection that is true gulf coast Red Snapper.

Ibex is offline Junior Member
    Hi

Yum red snapper my favourite fish.

Every year I go to Portugal staying in the Algarve region, and in the sea food resturants in that area they cook freshly caught red snapper simply on a barbecue grill with olive oil brushed over the skin.

The seasoning is just sea salt the type of salt that come in flakes........ Utterly delicious.

I'm jealous!!!!

Best wishes

Ibex
    Last edited by Ibex; 06-04-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    if doing it whole, then nothing more than a brushing of some olive oil, sea salt and pepper. If you have them, a handful of fresh herbs tucked in the gills will also give it a lovely flavor. Toss that beauty on the grill. YUM.

Cristy is offline Junior Member
    thanks all! i added the "snapper." probably inaccurate. he just called them reds. he caught them off coast of Savannah, GA. tried to attach a picture, but too dumb.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    No, Cristy. If he got them there, then that's the real McCoy. Yum. What great fish and the fishery is being depleted. It's been a long time since I had true gulf coast snapper. Just like Ibex said. Keep it simple. Grill it or bake it. A little olive and or butter and salt. Have a lemon wedge to squeeze. Just great eating.

Red Snapper reminds me of an early primal experience. My dad drove the family to Panama from Texas in 1972. He was crazy like that. I was 10. We ate at a restaurant in Tampico on the first night in Mexico. The waiter talked me into Red Snapper. Everyone else was having chicken or a burger or something that looked delicious. And I got this massive whole fish on my plate. The tail hung off one and and the head hung off the other. It had eyes and a tongue. I was just 10 and never seen anything like this on my plate. I was a little freaked out. I had caught plenty of trout at that age, but this was just wrong! Everyone stared at me to see what I would do. My dad took his fork and popped the cheek out and said, "Try this. It's the best part". Awesome. I devoured that fish.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    skin it, gut it, fillet it.
    pan fry the fillets with white wine, butter, garlic and capers.
    lil fresh cracked sea salt and black pepper. some parsley on top.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I just bought a one-poundish wild caught red snapper and would like to bake it, maybe in foil. I have butter, lemon, parsley, paprika, sea salt, on hand. How long do I cook it (and do I leave the foil open?) and is my plan to throw all that stuff together and brush it on top and underneath a good plan? I NEVER cook fish.

scooby is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    I just bought a one-poundish wild caught red snapper and would like to bake it, maybe in foil. I have butter, lemon, parsley, paprika, sea salt, on hand. How long do I cook it (and do I leave the foil open?) and is my plan to throw all that stuff together and brush it on top and underneath a good plan? I NEVER cook fish.
    I would not do a whole snapper in foil, simply because you'd be steaming the fish and losing the nice crispness you get on the outside of a roasted fish. If you just had filets, doing it en papillote in parchment paper is a great technique, but if I had a whole fish I'd probably just make sure it was scaled and gutted then stuff the stomach and gills with aromatics, coat the outside with plenty of olive oil, and salt and roast in a high oven. A 3lb snapper roasts for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees fahrenheit. I'm not sure when I'd start checking a 1lb fish, but probably at about 15-20 minutes.