Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Protein Diet to Primal. Help how do I transition???? page

DebbieRN is offline Junior Member

Ideal Protein Diet to Primal. Help how do I transition????

I am looking for suggestions on what will be the best transition to make from a "ketosis" causing weight loss program on to Primal?

There are 4 phases in the Ideal Protein regime and I initially thought I would phase off the diet to the maintenance phase, but the more I read the more I am unsure. Do I fast for a day or two, do I juice??? Help!!
    The biggest change from IP to Primal is that the "fat" is not considered. So I am concerned that ridding my diet of splenda, for naturally sweetened products will produce an increase in my weight.

I am 49, 5.3 and currently at 118lbs and have NO health issues.My Primal goal is to be healthier and increase my energy level. I am a full time nurse and have struggled with my weight ALL my life. Now that I have had it under control for the past two years give or take 10lbs, I want to stay here and focus on health and fitness.

Looking forward to any and all comments.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i am your same age and 1.5 inches shorter.

i don't know what ideal protein is. for your transition, there is no need to fast (unless you want to) and juicing is not a good idea for anything.

do you want to stay low-carb? what are you eating now? when you say "naturally sweetened" are you eating any fruit now? a few servings of fruit should not spell doom for you. it's a nice treat with yogurt or real cream.

fat is indeed considered on primal, it's not a free-for-all. you need to use some common sense with regards to what you consume.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Noodletoy,

I currently am eating lean protein and only veggie carbs, along with a protein supplement. No dairy, no fruit, no bread. This is the weight loss phase of this diet and then you transition in fruits, and dairy.

are you calories restricting then as well? sounds like high-protein, low-fat and low-carb? man, how are you not ravenous all the time?

i'd go at it atkins-like then, i guess, and add back one food at a time. go at this methodically so you see what you tolerate.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Noodletoy,

Sorry, I should have said this, yes it is calorie restrictive. 800-900/day with no exercise while in the very restrictive phase.
    Actually, I am not hungry all the time. There are times when I can talk myself into being hungry but its psychological not physical hunger. I eat 2 cups of leafy greens with lunch and dinners 6-8 oz lean meat, and drink about a gallon of water a day. In addition to the protein supplement at breakfast and as a snack before 8pm. Its one of the best programs I have come across for weight loss! I have tried almost every diet over the course of years and it is the best one with the best results. I will say you must be committed but the weight will come off.
    Now that I have lost the weight I just want to stay healthy and keep the weight off and exercise.

eesh. that is super low-cal and for a long time. your appetite and metabolism will have down-regulated to compensate, so you need to add foods back very slowly. you also are likely undernourished, so tout-suite start adding eggs, shellfish, bone broth and liver. move forward to get your protein close to 80-100 gms per day.

i guess i'd look at something like the atkins carb ladder to start adding back foods and do it patiently and methodically as you gradually up cals and activity.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks so much for the wisdom!

gorskiqne is offline Junior Member
    I currently am eating lean protein and only veggie carbs, along with a protein supplement.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There's a nutrition guy on the Starting Strength forum that would recommend after a long period of low calorie to start adding calories in very slowly. I forget the rate, but it was something like either adding 50 calories a day for a week, then the next week another 50 calories a day or maybe it was a couple hundred. I don't remember. I don't see how anyone could be so disciplined as to regulate as little as a 50 calorie difference, but maybe you are that disciplined and can do it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have helped several people recover from Ideal Protein diet. I have also heard they changed their name to Ideal Weight in some cities. It's basically a pyramid scheme diet plan where people open a franchise and the bottom line is selling the pre-packaged foods at high prices.

People lose lots of weight, it's a VLC calorie restricted plan and as long as you stick to it, you lose weight. I have seen tons of people who fall off the wagon and re-join to lose the weight they gain back over and over.

The best way to get out of their clutches is to learn about good food choices and eat real food--not their packaged stuff. The Primal Blueprint is the perfect escape from Ideal Protein Diet. Eat real food, exercise, get good sleep, lose the stressors in your life as much as possible.

I also work in a hospital, I think Ideal Protein is easy to sell here because people see quick weight loss and others get to talking in the hallways and the dining area. Nurses have a really hard time with weight, IMO, because of stress and crazy schedules. Disrupted circadian rhythms and poor eating are a recipe for disaster. If you smoke, too, like many nurses--shame on you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast