Thread: Suggestions for using up my ham stock page

Antiochia is offline Senior Member

Suggestions for using up my ham stock

We have ham occasionally -- its an easy meal for guests -- and I collect the bones in the freezer and when I have enough I make ham bone broth. Before Primal, I always used it up in bean soup. What else can I use it for? I have several quarts sitting in my freezer, and more ham bones for making stock. Help! Maybe I should just throw a ham bone or two in with my chicken bones, the next time I make chicken stock.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Any type of blended vegetable soup-- borscht, cauliflower bisque, turnip chowder, creamy tomato with oregano and basil. On most weeknights I'll use a small cup of these as an appetizer.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Any type of blended vegetable soup-- borscht, cauliflower bisque, turnip chowder, creamy tomato with oregano and basil. On most weeknights I'll use a small cup of these as an appetizer.
    Sounds like a good idea -- especially with the weather beginning to get cooler. I hadn't thought of blended vegetable soups -- I was so used to ham and bean soup. Thanks!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    I bet it would be good with some spicy sausage, sautéed fennel and onion, an assortment of root vegetables and greens with a splash of cream if you eat dairy.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    If you have potatoes still, it would probably work great in a creamy potato soup.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Cant see anything wrong with beans at all, provided they are soaked almost to fermentation. They are delicious!

Thanks for the ideas! Yes, I do soak beans when I use them -- I soak them for 24 hours (and with garbanzos and black beans I add a little lemon juice), and then I cook them in a slow cooker on low for 12 to 24 hours. Then I freeze them in 1-1/2 cup portions, so I bag of frozen beans equals one 15 oz. can of beans, drained. We don't eat them very often any more, but I figure once in a while can't hurt. However, we tend to eat the beans during times when we are avoiding meat for religious reasons, so I'm not cooking the beans with the ham broth any more. On days now when we can eat meat, we eat meat!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Make a jelly?

Ham stock set with gelatine.

If you can set it in long blocks, it will cut into cubes nicely which can be pushed in here and there into whatever dish you have. Bonus bone broth boosted with gelatine.

It's quite cheffy, too, if you fancy making an attractive looking dish, say, a presentation of pig ...

... a plate of pulled pork, bacon, perhaps chorizo, piece of bone with marrow, cracking skin, maybe an ear, quenelles of chilled lard and cubes of stock jelly. Maybe a few mushrooms on. Proper Primal Cuisine, that. In fact, I might be onto something there for a bit of fun at the weekend.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can always use it as a basis for all sorts of sauce.... Normally the recipes says chicken or beef but I'm pretty sure ham will be tastefull as well.