Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palm shortening ok? page 2

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, the word shortening is what got me worried. I will make sure it's not hydrogenated. It's for a paleo desert recipe (crust), so I will stick with the recipe as pastries are quite specific for ingredients. As I understand, it makes it crispy as opposed to soft with coconut oil. Thanks for ourangutans info, I will be careful.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I use palm shortening (non-hydrogenated) for cookies when I make them for the non-primal members of the family. I like that it doesn't make them flat like pancakes as opposed to coconut oil. Don't get me wrong... I love CO, use it all the time and buy it by the gallon. I also render and use tallow and use butter liberally.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't think the red version is available in a hydrogenated format. The word "shortening" is definitely a red flag, but "hydrogenated palm oil" can definitely be found on food labels from time to time, and should be avoided. While "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil" are fine. I don't know if anybody hydrogenates the red stuff, that would be news to me.
    Oh I have only seen the red version. It's already quite thick so not sure why a recipe would call for shortening version. If you google it, you'll see the shortening process seems harmless.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    No, no, no! Palm oil of any description is not OK. I live just out of Malaysia and the devastation that palm oil plantations have caused to our rain forests simply defies explanation. I drove for an hour in central Borneo a month back and saw nothing but palm trees where there should have been lush Forrest. It is not OK, I encourage everyone to boycott this product.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it not also harvested in places that does not cause such devastation? Instead of such a drama post, how about calming down and educating us.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12