Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palm shortening ok? page 2

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, the word shortening is what got me worried. I will make sure it's not hydrogenated. It's for a paleo desert recipe (crust), so I will stick with the recipe as pastries are quite specific for ingredients. As I understand, it makes it crispy as opposed to soft with coconut oil. Thanks for ourangutans info, I will be careful.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.
    No grains, no dairy, no nuts, no coffee.
    Meat, fish, veggies and fruits, yes!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I use palm shortening (non-hydrogenated) for cookies when I make them for the non-primal members of the family. I like that it doesn't make them flat like pancakes as opposed to coconut oil. Don't get me wrong... I love CO, use it all the time and buy it by the gallon. I also render and use tallow and use butter liberally.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't think the red version is available in a hydrogenated format. The word "shortening" is definitely a red flag, but "hydrogenated palm oil" can definitely be found on food labels from time to time, and should be avoided. While "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil" are fine. I don't know if anybody hydrogenates the red stuff, that would be news to me.
    Oh I have only seen the red version. It's already quite thick so not sure why a recipe would call for shortening version. If you google it, you'll see the shortening process seems harmless.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    No, no, no! Palm oil of any description is not OK. I live just out of Malaysia and the devastation that palm oil plantations have caused to our rain forests simply defies explanation. I drove for an hour in central Borneo a month back and saw nothing but palm trees where there should have been lush Forrest. It is not OK, I encourage everyone to boycott this product.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Is it not also harvested in places that does not cause such devastation? Instead of such a drama post, how about calming down and educating us.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12