Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to improve lung capacity for cardio page

jodi29 is offline Member

How to improve lung capacity for cardio

Primal Fuel
    I've been trying to do some short jogs (2-3 miles) once a week or so but my problem is my lack of lung capacity. The truth is, I don't like running but my husband does it regularly and wants me to go with him when I can. I hate holding him up though because when I have to stop, he stops too. Also, I'm gearing up for a Big Climb (climbing up 69 story building) later in the year and want to be more prepared than last year so I can beat my time. What recommendations do you have to build lung capacity? What is the best breathing technique?

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like your problem is breathing technique. But just needing to put some mileage on your running shoes. Sprints will help. Doing stair climbs will help the most for you Big Climb.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like lack of conditioning, which gradually gets built up overtime. You also have to make sure you are well hydrated and your electrolytes(sodium, potassium, maybe magnesium too) are balanced. If you are on a very low-carb diet, those get depleted quickly. Also, it could be quite challenging to built and maintain conditioning without getting sufficient carbs. Don't know if that's how you eat, though.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Thanks Graycat! I am doing low carb right now - anywhere from 30-50 a day. So on days that I jog, I should include more carbs it sounds like. Also, should I include a magnesium supplement?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodi29 View Post
    So on days that I jog, I should include more carbs it sounds like. Also, should I include a magnesium supplement?
    Back when I used to eat low-carb, I couldn't run unless I had at least 100g of carbs the previous day. I'm an early morning, fasted state exerciser. For you, some full sodium broth about an hour pre-workout can really help too.
    Magnesium citrate supplement is beneficial to just about anyone, as most people are deficient. I take 500mg. at bed time. It helps with sleep and regularity as well.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Thanks so much! Going to buy some magnesium tonight

kot
    kot is offline Member
    tabata treadmill hill sprints are very effective at increasing V02 max

5-10 min warm-up

set incline to high
    set speed to med-high (start with 50-80% of normal running speed)
    sprint 20 seconds
    jump off rest 10 seconds
    repeat 8 times, takes 4 min
    walk 5-10 min for recovery

if you are 100% exhausted at the end of 4 min then you’re doing it right
    Scale incline and speed as needed to finish but still be giving 90-100% effort

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I've also found that the Viking Warrior Conditioning protocol (15 sec hard/15 sec rest -- 80 rounds/40 minutes - you will have to work your way up to it) has done wonders for me. I use it for all kinds of exercises, not just KB snatches. I like a pushup/squat couplet: 15 sec pushups, 15 sec rest, 15 sec squats, 15 sec rest. Most I've ever done is a bit over 20 min - but even though I'm wiped out, I come back stronger. And I have better overall strength, "body confidence" and movement. Only running will train your body to do a lot of running - but overall conditioning helps a lot.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone!

fainluoba is offline Junior Member
    I take 500mg. at bed time. It helps with sleep and regularity as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast