Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to improve lung capacity for cardio page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Bicycling helped me improve my cardio for running. It's much easier for me and much more fun. I now cycle to work and am trying to run 3x a week (for the Couch to 5k program).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Tell your husband to run on his own. This is why running sucks as a group exercise.

Try working your aerobic system. That means you should be going slowly enough that you just barely feel out of breath, or even that you have no problem breathing. That might be a fast walk for you at this point. If you feel like you can't breathe enough air, your body has shifted into anaerobic mode, which is going to wear you down a lot faster.

Or get some rollerblades or a bike and go with your husband.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Tell your husband to run on his own. This is why running sucks as a group exercise.

Try working your aerobic system. That means you should be going slowly enough that you just barely feel out of breath, or even that you have no problem breathing. That might be a fast walk for you at this point. If you feel like you can't breathe enough air, your body has shifted into anaerobic mode, which is going to wear you down a lot faster.

Or get some rollerblades or a bike and go with your husband.
    Love this advice! When he pushes me to keep going, I tell him to go ahead of me but he refuses. Now when he says he's going for a run I just go to the gym. After about 10 minutes of running, I feel like I can't breathe very well and that's when I stop. I will try to start out very slow and then work my way up from there.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

jodi29 is offline Member
    Wow those articles are great! Thanks so much!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Here is another link to add to your reading:
    Roadwork 2.0: The Comeback 8 Weeks Out

HIIT is great, but if you want to be good at running distances, that's what you should do. It also seems to have some benefits that HIIT doesn't confer. Like jfreaksho said, if you're going more than a few hundred meters, you want to keep your heart rate/breath moderate so you don't feel like you're dying. The article I linked to recommends 130-150bpm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12