Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Any Potato Hackers? page

  1. #1
    lindtstar's Avatar
    lindtstar is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Any Potato Hackers?

    Primal Fuel
    Hello!

    I've read a few threads here on potato hacking but can't seem to find a recent one. Is anybody still doing it? Maybe I'm just not finding the right place.

    I'm on day 9 of a hack right now and am in love, I'd love to find like minds to talk about it with

  2. #2
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    This was probably the most recent activity: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74055.html

    The potato hack seems especially popular around the holidays! It works! Glad you like it,

  3. #3
    lindtstar's Avatar
    lindtstar is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8
    Thank you!

  4. #4
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    I am doing it for 5 days.


    Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    but wait! you're going to eat more than 150g of carbs daily and therefore will have insidious fat gain and not be primal either. lol...

  6. #6
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    but wait! you're going to eat more than 150g of carbs daily and therefore will have insidious fat gain and not be primal either. lol...
    Lol. Actually I addressed this fear in my newest journal entry.

    I don't think what I am doing is primal... It is paleo but primal is low(er) carb. I also never said carbs will undoubtedly make one fat... Just that it never worked for me in the past. If you see my arguments they have pretty much been "you can do low carb or low fat, but primal is low carb and thus newbies are likely asking for advice on troubleshooting low carb by posting on mda" and "ketosis is a good starting point for most but try something else if it doesn't work." After this I will be going back to more of a nutritional ketosis with carb cycling plan.

    Honestly though, I am poor and I would love to save $$$$ by just buying potatoes for a week If this works too in trimming fat then all the better.




    Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  7. #7
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Honestly though, I am poor and I would love to save $$$$ by just buying potatoes for a week If this works too in trimming fat then all the better.
    Oh yeah, it will work. The potato hack is very efficient. I had been in a very difficult situation financially many years ago. I was on a forced potato hack for days until I received foods from my mother. My weight had been yoyo'ing a lot because of this. So I can join the thousands of others who say how efficient this is. Of course, every time I went back to visit my mother (she was living almost 1000km from my study place), I grew fat real fast

  8. #8
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Oh yeah, it will work. The potato hack is very efficient. I had been in a very difficult situation financially many years ago. I was on a forced potato hack for days until I received foods from my mother. My weight had been yoyo'ing a lot because of this. So I can join the thousands of others who say how efficient this is. Of course, every time I went back to visit my mother (she was living almost 1000km from my study place), I grew fat real fast
    Haha. It should really be called the poor student diet.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Lol. Actually I addressed this fear in my newest journal entry.

    I don't think what I am doing is primal... It is paleo but primal is low(er) carb. I also never said carbs will undoubtedly make one fat... Just that it never worked for me in the past. If you see my arguments they have pretty much been "you can do low carb or low fat, but primal is low carb and thus newbies are likely asking for advice on troubleshooting low carb by posting on mda" and "ketosis is a good starting point for most but try something else if it doesn't work." After this I will be going back to more of a nutritional ketosis with carb cycling plan.

    Honestly though, I am poor and I would love to save $$$$ by just buying potatoes for a week If this works too in trimming fat then all the better.




    Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    yeah, i'm just teasing. I haven't read your journal recently.

    what i will say is that personally, I don't get caught up in definitions (primal/paleo/etc). I eat whole foods that are healthy and that I tolerate. I could care less about what others think of my diet. it works for me. if you think about it, a few days of potatoes, or a pound of honey in one day seem perfectly paleo by definition. ancestral eating was probably all about periods of famine, periods of feasting, getting a bulk of calories from carbs, then supplementing meat after a kill, gorging on whatever fruit was in season before the animals ate it, and even devouring an entire honeycomb if one came across it. so carbs for days, carb cycling, etc are all perfectly acceptable dietary tweaks. on the other hand, ketosis (especially long-term ketosis), from an evolutionary standpoint, is more than likely not very common in very many areas, and one could argue that it is in fact, not primal/paleo. that's just my take on it

  10. #10
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    yeah, i'm just teasing. I haven't read your journal recently.

    what i will say is that personally, I don't get caught up in definitions (primal/paleo/etc). I eat whole foods that are healthy and that I tolerate. I could care less about what others think of my diet. it works for me. if you think about it, a few days of potatoes, or a pound of honey in one day seem perfectly paleo by definition. ancestral eating was probably all about periods of famine, periods of feasting, getting a bulk of calories from carbs, then supplementing meat after a kill, gorging on whatever fruit was in season before the animals ate it, and even devouring an entire honeycomb if one came across it. so carbs for days, carb cycling, etc are all perfectly acceptable dietary tweaks. on the other hand, ketosis (especially long-term ketosis), from an evolutionary standpoint, is more than likely not very common in very many areas, and one could argue that it is in fact, not primal/paleo. that's just my take on it
    Well, I meant "primal" as defined by mark/mda.

    I can see your logic... But wouldn't it be also true that during winters/ice age or in places where it is chronically cold, animal parts/blubber/bone broth is almost all they had? I know some tribes do tons of pemmican soup in the winter.

    Either way, I kept thinking about chocotaco saying I never actually ate a whole foods high carb diet when I didn't lose weight on 1600 cals of veggies/ quinoa/avocado/ corn/chicken/olive oil/etc. After much thought, I had to concede he was correct. Also it was high in omega 6. Thus, I am doing this hack to revisit higher carb for a little while.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •