Thread: Help for cross country running page

geostump is online now Senior Member

Help for cross country running

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have a 12 yr old daughter who is in her first season of cross country. She's 5'5 and about 130 pounds and has long legs. She takes very short strides when running flat ground. She told me it hurts her ankles up to her knees and the outer upper thigh when she opens up her stride. She said she can open her stride with no pain when she runs hills. She does stretches and is also lifting. Is there anything that she can do to lessen the pain or does she have to live with this? She wants to continue running
    Georgette

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    I am much older than your daughter but I do have similar pain when I run. My trainer does a lot of one legged strength training with me and it has helped tremendously. Also, running some training runs on trails helps too-I find the varied terrain a relief to my lower legs and it also makes your lower legs stronger. I would take her to a chiropractor-it can help open up her hips. She also needs to have a good stretching routine for those IT bands.

Don't know if any of that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    I am much older than your daughter but I do have similar pain when I run. My trainer does a lot of one legged strength training with me and it has helped tremendously. Also, running some training runs on trails helps too-I find the varied terrain a relief to my lower legs and it also makes your lower legs stronger. I would take her to a chiropractor-it can help open up her hips. She also needs to have a good stretching routine for those IT bands.

Don't know if any of that helps?
    Thanks Relay. She runs a lot of trails and that is where she feels the most comfortable. She hates pounding pavement as it were. I've been trying to get her to do one-legged strength training more often, but she hasn't. Chiro would have to wait until next year. At least her posture is good.
    Georgette

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    She could work her way to one-legged - asymmetrical squats, that gradually become wider and more focused on one leg vs the other. You could tell her they'll set her up for those uneven patches or spots where one leg's power takes her past someone ...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I also have to take short strides, I have hypermobile joints. Can she bend her fingers backwards? If so, it's likely that she has hypermobility and a wider stride would allow her joints to slide around and cause serious damage. This is genetic. The connective tissues are just mushier. Short strides are the cure if running is a must. If she is hypermobile, definitely advise against stretching her leg muscles, they need to be taut to help stabilize.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Was a distance runner (competitive) in high school and (recreation) in college.

She definitely needs to make sure she's doing IT band strength and mobility work. I'd also find a good running coach who can evaluate her stride (video can be really good here) and see what issues she may have, especially if she is a heel striker. She might need to adjust to more midfoot striking style. Lots of runners have issues with letting their torso rotate too much, or swing their arms too much, which can also cause what you described.

Get someone qualified to evaluate her form. This might not be her school coach.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Also make sure she's not running like a crab, with one arm sticking out at a random, wobbling angle and the other arm retracted like a frightened tape measure.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Was a distance runner (competitive) in high school and (recreation) in college.

She definitely needs to make sure she's doing IT band strength and mobility work. I'd also find a good running coach who can evaluate her stride (video can be really good here) and see what issues she may have, especially if she is a heel striker. She might need to adjust to more midfoot striking style. Lots of runners have issues with letting their torso rotate too much, or swing their arms too much, which can also cause what you described.

Get someone qualified to evaluate her form. This might not be her school coach.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    I'm doing this with her next year when I have the money to do so. I know she doesn't swing her arms too much. I have no clue how her foot lands when she walks. Like I said in my OP, I know jack about running. That's why I'm coming to others for advice.
    Georgette