Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'VLC is not a good idea' page 5

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Well said. I also think it's misleading to assert that people cannot lose weight if they eat x amount of carbs. This just isn't true. If it were, Weight Watchers would have been out of biz 30 years ago. The chronic cardio and sugar addict phrases need to go. Chronic denotes bad, and addict is just ridiculous.
    Everything in context though. Chronic cardio is dubbed such in the context that someone is performing that work under the erroneous impression that they need to do so to lose weight. Much has already been written about do it if you enjoy it. Its a fine line for sure. But, the distinction is clear. It's not necessary to do that amount of work to be healthy, and if you are forcing yourself to do so then it's doubly silly. On the other hand if you enjoy gassing yourself to no end then re-feeding and repeating the cycle have at it! The mental benefits of doing something you actually enjoy will likely outweigh most negatives from that sort of work.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Actually it is the chronic cardio folks who might benefit most from lower carbs. Many ultramarathon runners and trail runners find adopting a low carb diet to be like a secret weapon in their training. They train their bodies to run on fat so that on race day they have more even energy and don't need to consume as many calories during the race. Many long distance runners struggle on race day with vomiting and diarrhea from consuming calories during the race and being better able to use their fat stores helps. They also tend to consume a lot more carbs on race day, which they call "train low, race high."

It's the intense stuff that seems to require more carbohydrate, such as chronic cross-fit (just kidding) or lots of heavy lifting and sprinting. I found that when I took up lifting I needed more carbs than before. But not a lot more. I just started having a sweet potato every day for lunch and sometimes another for dinner.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It's not necessary to do that amount of work to be healthy, and if you are forcing yourself to do so then it's doubly silly.
    I feel like for some people, it might be necessary to do more than low key exercise to be healthy. I think though if your body needs it, then it isn't forced. What you do for your health should always make you feel better.

To me one thing that bothers me is "low carb flu" and at what point is that just not working for you, and in response to low carb flu, do people make bad decisions on activity level (ie, I feel like shit, so I should exercise less because I think VLC is my solution because carbs are "bad")? Or are some people setting themselves up for a lot of problems by trying to stick it out, when the simple addition of some clean carbs could boost energy and well being substantially (but may have a cost of slower weight loss, some weight gain or being hungry a little more often).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

hedwards is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Everything in context though. Chronic cardio is dubbed such in the context that someone is performing that work under the erroneous impression that they need to do so to lose weight. Much has already been written about do it if you enjoy it. Its a fine line for sure. But, the distinction is clear. It's not necessary to do that amount of work to be healthy, and if you are forcing yourself to do so then it's doubly silly. On the other hand if you enjoy gassing yourself to no end then re-feeding and repeating the cycle have at it! The mental benefits of doing something you actually enjoy will likely outweigh most negatives from that sort of work.
    That's definitely true.

I've had to temporarily cut back on my cardio because I've taken up IF and I don't want to give my body too much all at once. I'll likely start up again soon, because I definitely don't feel as good without the half hour or so a day I was doing. My brain just doesn't focus well without my exercise.

Then again, I'm not trying to exercise off the excess weight, which could easily spiral out of control trying to maintain a calorie deficit while doing regular cardio.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Magnolia and j3nn for debating me. I'm convinced that while 150g might be Mark's primal upper limit, active people may need more carbs. What ticked me off in the other threads was that carbs became a little too okay to the point where carbs and fat were treated equally under the "calories" umbrella and it all started approximating CW CICO. Whole and unprocessed CICO, but CICO nonetheless. Oh well, if anyone is really taking in too many carbs, I guess it will show up on the scale soon enough.

I never did Weight Watchers... how successful is WW at losing the Last Ten Pounds?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Oh well, if anyone is really taking in too many carbs, I guess it will show up on the scale soon enough.
    It will show up on the scale if you go from VLC to even merely low carb. The problem is too many people only care about the scale. I'm carrying an extra 4lbs these days, and I look and feel better.

And I do think that carbs and fats are equal in terms of benefit to a body. They both offer positives. Not all carbs are just "junk".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel like for some people, it might be necessary to do more than low key exercise to be healthy. I think though if your body needs it, then it isn't forced. What you do for your health should always make you feel better.
    See that is where varying your volume and frequency to coordinate with your intensity comes in. It's programming of training for maximum effect. No need to keep exercise low key. But you reduce volume as you increase intensity.

On LC you could, or at least should be able to (unless you are metabolically unfit/unhealthy) perform 2-3 max effort high intensity type events a week IMO. Outside of that you should be able to work at a lower rate of intensity and higher volume (move frequently at a slow pace) almost indefinitely.

But hey thats my thoughts on "health". If we are talking athletic events like crossfit, then you have to allow for practice time. Yet that practice for form and such should usually be at sub maximal effort levels and not require as much resources for recovery.

Finally, yes there is a whole lot of N=1 to this, and even more so when you get outside of talking about "general health" for the average Joe. So if you are an elite competitive athlete or aspiring to be one then you obviously need some very accurate progress notes regarding your training and your diet to optimize performance.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    This carb curve argument is happening in entirely too many threads to keep track of. I swear I just posted something this morning about the ones arguing against the curve's accuracy are "usually" the more active people/those who lift weights.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345