Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: 'VLC is not a good idea' page 2

  1. #11
    Myrtille's Avatar
    Myrtille is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    78
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    I think it is called physiological insulin resistance. The guy at Hyperlipid has a thorough article series about it. I have not read through in detail but you can always check it out.

    EDIT : try this one Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin restisance (8) Guess what?
    Thank you, I will try to understand what I read )
    Last edited by Myrtille; 09-02-2013 at 07:19 AM.

  2. #12
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    641
    Well said, SB. Thanks for that link.

    And you too, Neckhammer. I'll be doing a good bit of reading today once I get back from the gym.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

  3. #13
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,210
    There are a lot of different perspectives to the carb discussion and everyone on here will chip in overtime to comment on their personal experiences and points of view. Personally my first 4 months were strict Paleo LC with periods of VLC. It was during this time that my body returned to a healthy body weight dropping from around 215 lbs down to 165 lbs. Weight loss was my focus and my fitness programming was secondary. Once I reached my weight goal my focus switched to fitness and I adjusted my diet to Primal with a focus on peak performance, building muscle and maintaining a low body fat %. I strategically increased my carbs to coincide with training intensity to maximize muscle growth and ramp up my metabolism. My carbs are what I would call clean in a Primal sense - vegetables, fruits, some nuts and seeds and occasionally white rice and even some gluten free pasta every once in a while. A high carb day for me would be in the 150 to 250 gm. range but most days I stay under 150 gms. So in my opinion depending on where you are in your journey to health and what your goals are should impact your level of carbohydrate consumption, I also feel that age makes a difference and those over 50 can maintain a LC diet easier that those who are younger, especially if you are under 30. If your focus is on quick weight loss then stay LC with periods of VLC until you reach your weight loss goals, during this period slowly introduce more physical activity - long walks, begin some body weight exercises and throw in a few sprints once a week. Once you reach your weight loss goals begin ramping up your fitness program by adding in some weight training and getting more serious about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This formula worked for me and I believe it will work for most people. However it is an individual thing and each of us have to experiment to see what works best for us.
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.

  4. #14
    Greg Rx's Avatar
    Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rochester Michigan
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    There are a lot of different perspectives to the carb discussion and everyone on here will chip in overtime to comment on their personal experiences and points of view. Personally my first 4 months were strict Paleo LC with periods of VLC. It was during this time that my body returned to a healthy body weight dropping from around 215 lbs down to 165 lbs. Weight loss was my focus and my fitness programming was secondary. Once I reached my weight goal my focus switched to fitness and I adjusted my diet to Primal with a focus on peak performance, building muscle and maintaining a low body fat %. I strategically increased my carbs to coincide with training intensity to maximize muscle growth and ramp up my metabolism. My carbs are what I would call clean in a Primal sense - vegetables, fruits, some nuts and seeds and occasionally white rice and even some gluten free pasta every once in a while. A high carb day for me would be in the 150 to 250 gm. range but most days I stay under 150 gms. So in my opinion depending on where you are in your journey to health and what your goals are should impact your level of carbohydrate consumption, I also feel that age makes a difference and those over 50 can maintain a LC diet easier that those who are younger, especially if you are under 30. If your focus is on quick weight loss then stay LC with periods of VLC until you reach your weight loss goals, during this period slowly introduce more physical activity - long walks, begin some body weight exercises and throw in a few sprints once a week. Once you reach your weight loss goals begin ramping up your fitness program by adding in some weight training and getting more serious about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This formula worked for me and I believe it will work for most people. However it is an individual thing and each of us have to experiment to see what works best for us.
    Great post. I do think newbies with significant weight to lose and high insulin resistance will do better with fewer carbs than you are recommending, but your ideas about progression are spot on. I would like to add IF to the things beginners should just ignore until their bodies are ready.

  5. #15
    hedwards's Avatar
    hedwards is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    Great post. I do think newbies with significant weight to lose and high insulin resistance will do better with fewer carbs than you are recommending, but your ideas about progression are spot on. I would like to add IF to the things beginners should just ignore until their bodies are ready.
    I don't know about that. As long as you're doing IF sensibly, there's no reason why people should wait to do it. But, remember there are more and less extreme forms of IF, some of them are easy for anybody that hasn't got Diabetes and or an eating disorder.

    The one I'm doing now is more or less trivial. I start the first couple weeks eating only between the hours of noon and 8 pm. I'll take 15g of coconut oil at the beginning and end of my fast. And then pretty much only liquids like water and tea during the fasting period. Eventually as one gets better at it, there are other options that require longer periods of time. But, those are really not for a beginner until one has become accustomed to the use of supplements and how they feel when they're good and starting to over do it.

    I definitely wouldn't recommend people start out doing one of those 36/12 plans, because I think that might be hard for the body to adjust to initially. But, the one I'm doing is basically just skipping breakfasts. Something which nearly anybody can do.

    Obviously, making other dietary changes at the same time is a good reason to put one or the other off. Or to at least slow down the rate of progression.

  6. #16
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    641
    Canuck & GregRX-
    I'm in agreement with all you have said. More accurately, it fits my experience to a T. In the beginning of my doing LC, I hovered around 20-30g. per day. In fact, if I went over 30g. of carb a day I would gain. Only now -- after maintaining the loss and adding in a weight routine have I been able to increase that.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

  7. #17
    Greg Rx's Avatar
    Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rochester Michigan
    Posts
    139
    hedwards, I think we are In complete agreement. After just a few days of the high protein breakfast, I discovered that I would rather take a walk instead of eating lunch. So I Was eating twice daily without hunger. Huge deal for me. After I had lost 30 pounds, I tried going 24 hours. Not bad but after 3 or 4 individual fasts, I got the feeling that it was doing more harm than good. This is why I cringe when newbies ask when they can start IF.. Get things moving in the right direction before you try more advanced things discussed on these forums.

  8. #18
    hedwards's Avatar
    hedwards is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    hedwards, I think we are In complete agreement. After just a few days of the high protein breakfast, I discovered that I would rather take a walk instead of eating lunch. So I Was eating twice daily without hunger. Huge deal for me. After I had lost 30 pounds, I tried going 24 hours. Not bad but after 3 or 4 individual fasts, I got the feeling that it was doing more harm than good. This is why I cringe when newbies ask when they can start IF.. Get things moving in the right direction before you try more advanced things discussed on these forums.
    I think we mostly agree, I just wanted to point out that beginners can generally start immediately, as long as they're following a conservative plan and are properly educated about how to do it safely.

    The key is to make sure that you're educated about fasting, as you can do a lot of damage doing it the wrong way. And to ease into it. And yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend getting into it that quickly. I like Dr. Lara's recommendations for IF as he talks about how to do it safely. As well as the appropriate use of BCAA, MCFA and fiber. And the big thing is to give your body and brain time to get used to it. Even with my relatively short fasting periods, I feel generally good, but absolutely famished that last little bit before I get to eat.

    Which is a good sign, when you're engaging in IF you'll ideally get really hungry about the time you're supposed to be breaking your fast. But, not so hungry that you're gorging on things that will put you over your daily dietary needs.

  9. #19
    Forgotmylastusername's Avatar
    Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    947
    ""To sum up, I don’t think you need to worry about insulin resistance as long as you’re still losing weight – which you appear to be doing – since weight loss exerts a powerful effect on insulin sensitivity""

    Read more: Does Eating a Low Carb Diet Cause Insulin Resistance? | Mark's Daily Apple


    So, unless you plan on losing weight forever then it's suggested you start eating carbs.

  10. #20
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    641
    Alas, we didn't need you to tell us that. We all read just fine.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •