Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about mushrooms? page

natashik85 is offline Member

What about mushrooms?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I live in Estonia (a tiny country in Europe ner Russia). And we have a strong traditions of gathering mushrooms in the woods. Just yesterday I got a mighty pile of fresh mushrooms (+best Grok's excercise - walking in the woods for 3 hours). But since I am realtively new to Paleo lifestyle I couldn't find information about mushrooms on the website. Logically they are supposed to be OK - since a gathered them But just to make sure - does anyone here likes to eat some mushrooms and is it OK to do so?
    Thank you in advance,

Natalja

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello, welcome
    Yes, mushrooms are primal big time!! And as a French, I can only recommend you eat as many varieties as you can

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hey.

I long as you know they are safe to eat (that is they are not poisonous mushrooms or toadstools), mushrooms are totally primal. A good source of protein and also they apparently create vitamin d if you leave them in the sun for a while before eating

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0422132801.htm
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I sadly don't eat a huge variety, as I wouldn't feel safe picking here. There's too many poisonous that look similar to the edible ones, to the untrained eye.

But I love mushrooms, they're very tasty
    Go for it!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. I often have mushrooms for breakfast with my eggs. But they are mere supermarket specimens and I envy you being able to gather wild mushrooms. Enjoy

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Eat all the mushrooms or send them to me. I love mushrooms and I love collecting mushrooms. I have a few I can reliably identify myself, otherwise I have a mushroom expert friend I can consult with. We collected inky caps, agaricus and porcinis together recently. On my own, I collect puffballs and chanterelles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natashik85 View Post
    Hey all,

I live in Estonia (a tiny country in Europe ner Russia). And we have a strong traditions of gathering mushrooms in the woods. Just yesterday I got a mighty pile of fresh mushrooms (+best Grok's excercise - walking in the woods for 3 hours). But since I am realtively new to Paleo lifestyle I couldn't find information about mushrooms on the website. Logically they are supposed to be OK - since a gathered them But just to make sure - does anyone here likes to eat some mushrooms and is it OK to do so?
    Thank you in advance,

Natalja
    I would not eat mushrooms from Estonia due to contamination. The safest mushrooms are the ones actually grown in a greenhouse, unfortunately. But if you are unconcerned about that then. Yes.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I would not eat mushrooms from Estonia due to contamination. The safest mushrooms are the ones actually grown in a greenhouse, unfortunately. But if you are unconcerned about that then. Yes.
    What kind of contamination? I am (originally) from that area as well and have picked and eaten wild mushrooms all my life. I would understand not eating wild mushrooms that are picked in highly industrial/polluted areas, but many forests in Baltic states/Scandinavia etc. are far from pollution sources and I would bet those mushrooms have much less contamination than greenhouse ones...
    Enjoy your mushrooms, Natashik, while they last

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    What kind of contamination? I am (originally) from that area as well and have picked and eaten wild mushrooms all my life. I would understand not eating wild mushrooms that are picked in highly industrial/polluted areas, but many forests in Baltic states/Scandinavia etc. are far from pollution sources and I would bet those mushrooms have much less contamination than greenhouse ones...
    Enjoy your mushrooms, Natashik, while they last
    radiation

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Commercially grown mushrooms are grown not in greenhouses but in caves or abandoned coal mines, or someplace similarly cave-like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast