Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Social situations??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Social situations???

Primal Fuel
    Random question.

What do you guys normally do when you are invited over for dinner to someone's house who does not respect your Paleo/Primal lifestyle at all!!!

Several times I've been over to people's home who have fed me wheat, sugar and processed food.

I can't do this anymore I feel awful and am soo bloated from all the gross food!!!!!!!

I could bring over meat and salad and ignore all of their requests to NOT bring over food?????

How do you all handle situations like this???

Thanks guys!!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Tricky situation. Usually there is something you can eat, and I would try not to fret about some sugar, or chips for example, and semi primal things like rice or legumes or even homemade cake if it looked amazing.

But if they only have processed food I do think that's a little bizarre, I mean they haven't exactly gone to any trouble for you have they?

If you're sure it's going to happen again then I would eat at home first, just take the smallest helping of whatever and pick at it, push it round your plate and try not to let them notice you not actually eating it.

And it's not a bad idea to take something with you to "add" to the meal, it could end up being all you eat but at least you have shared it.

Yeah what I call processed food is more non-real food. Anything with ingredients that can't be read or interpreted as anything real.

Hubby said I should just tell people I have celiac disease and am lactose intolerant.

Am seriously considering it LOL

I'm soo puffy and feel soo gross right now!!!!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I am gluten intolerant. If someone did not respect my food choices to the extent where I couldn't trust them not to poison me, I wouldn't be eating there unless they were comfortable either with me eating before I came and having a drink instead of dinner, or me bringing a safe dish for the table.

Good point!!!! Sooo going to tell people this from now on.

It takes about three days of feeling gross to flush it out with water too!!!

Never again!!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I would just ask for wheat-free. That strikes most of the bad choices out.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Honestly most of the parties I go to don't know anything about paleo/primal. They just think that I have some kind of eating issues so I don't bother explaining it. I try to stick to any kind of meat veggies or salad. If I eat anything non primal I go for the desert. Mind you I don't have anything life threatening that if I were to consume grains or anything wheat, I wouldn't die. You are in control of what you put in your mouth...if the host/hostess insist you eat something then say you have food allergies.

eadiesfhc is offline Junior Member
    Hubby said I should just tell people I have celiac disease and am lactose intolerant.
    Last edited by eadiesfhc; 09-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, tell them you have IBS or something, I do, you don't want to try and explain them why wheat etc is not a good idea.
    Medical stuff they won't try and argue with, 'diet' choices they will!!!

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rather than calling myself celiac (bad liar and difficult if people are there who know otherwise) or going into any tiresome explanation to justify my choices, I sometimes say I am on an food exclusion trial to see if it fixes 'some issues' (vague) so am avoiding grains for now. People assume it is a doctor recommendation, and it doesn't sound long term so no one gets into a froth about it. Its true...it is a trial, I just happen to think it will work out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast