Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Experts Advice Needed A.S.A.P page

5islands is offline Junior Member

Primal Experts Advice Needed A.S.A.P

Primal Fuel
    I wasn't sure whether to post this under nutrition or the athletes forum but I would appreciate any serious and educated comments as quickly as possible.

I just finished my 3rd week of intense training for my first bikini competition. The workouts consists of 6, 30 minute cardio sessions first thing in the morning on an empty stomach in sweat clothes and a sweat belt. After the run I'm to eat breakfast of 1/3 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1tbsp chia seeds and 1 scoop of whey protein.

Once breakfast is completed I'm to head to the gym for approx. 2 hours of training with weights and another 30 min. approx. of HIIT training and abdominal work 3 times a week after weights. This program is followed by another protein shake with greens and a banana.

Lunch is around 12pm which is 1/2 cup of brown rice which I switched to wild rice, 4oz chicken and 2 cups of broccoli with a kiwi.

3pm snack is 1 cup no sugar greek yogurt with 1/2 blueberries.

6pm Dinner is 4oz sweet potatoe, 4oz lean protein and 2 cups of green veggies.

9pm is another protein shake with almonds and suggested (rice cakes which I never eat).

I'm an athletic female 5.7" and 155 pounds, my weight needs to drop along with my body fat. I'm 9 weeks out from competition and I feel like I'm hitting a wall with my training. My results are no where's near where they should be compared to my efforts. I have not lost 1 pound on this regimen with little to no changes in body composition. I'm hungry all of the time and just recently struggling to complete some of the harder workouts. I'm cranky and on edge most of the time. My coach who has very successful clients doesn't seem to be offering the support that I need to fuel forward on this challenge.

I'm trying to tweak this program in a way to get my body to respond efficiently daily through workouts and lowering body fat while building muscle.

Any advice or words of wisdom, experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This challenge so far has been one of the most difficult things that I have ever done in my entire life an I'm feeling like I'm failing at the program and required nutrition to obtain the proper body composition.

Liam is offline Member
    You might want to consider ditching the cardio. See #6 in this list
    17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

Yes I understand that but my coach does not. I'm trying to keep my heart rate lower while doing the required cardio. His girls win these competitions but I'm afraid it's under extreme conditions. What should be the max. Amount of carbs daily should I aim for while training for almost 4 hours per day??

oxide is offline Senior Member
    You might want to consider ditching the coach along with the carbs. So what if your coach has successful clients? It's probably not the coach who is successful; it's the genetics of his clients. If your genetics are different, then your coach's program won't work for you.

As for what to eat -- just go and read Mark's "21-day Total body transformation." Or click the "Start Here" button on his website.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    agree it sounds like lots of starchy carbs if you're trying to cut. how far out is the competition? when do you need to be ready?

just wondering if you know how compliant your coach's other clients actually are with his menu?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I bet you're hungry. Tell your coach to try and survive on that shit and see how he feels. I'm with oxide, if you don't have it get Mark's "21-day Total body transformation" if you want to follow a primal approach. When I was in my 20s I did similarly what you are doing. Except, I was doing Weider's protein shakes twice per day with some lite snakes/fruit and eating a regular meal at night. I got down to single digit bodyfat at around 180lbs but I felt like crap and it was not sustainable.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5islands View Post
    His girls win these competitions but I'm afraid it's under extreme conditions.
    To be honest, I don't think you're mentally prepared for this contest.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would ask Jordan Feigenbaum over on the Starting Strength forum. He has his own Nutrition forum.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

I'm mentally prepared for this competition it's just that I'm doubting his approach at getting lean. I appreciate the comments and unfortunately the coach has my large deposit of money. He just recently upped my cardio again to 1 hour now first thing in the am on an empty stomach in sweats and a neopreme belt followed by breakfast and then cardio for 15 minutes followed by two hours of weights and then cardio for 30 min after that. Abs and Lunges every evening. He then lowered my calories daily so now I feel like someone with an eating disorder. I'm mentally there and doing the program, I would just like to maximize results. I've been doing research on carb cycling, any thoughts on that? There has been minimal changes in composition following this advice so far. Comp is 9 weeks out and yes I have the 21 day challenge and most of all the other books on this site. I went crazy with nuts so I didn't achieve the results that I should have achieved following it.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My thoughts? You should listen to your coach whom by your own admission has a lot of experience with this. I seriously doubt he'll recommend carb cycling at this point though, seeing that you have to lose at least 15 pounds over the next nine weeks if you want to look decent on stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast