Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Experts Advice Needed A.S.A.P page 2

5islands is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Geeesh Kharnath, you sure know how to make me feel good about myself. Little harsh, 15 pounds can be lost easily if I put my mind to it and more over the next 9 weeks. Any bodybuilding site advocates carb cycling for fat loss. Just wanted to know people's opinions or experience. My coach wants me to have a lot of carbs daily, I will cut it back however I don't want to bonk during workouts..

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Listen, you're not losing weight at the moment, which means you're not in a calorie deficit. Your coach is going to ask you to reduce your caloric intake soon to rectify the problem, and he won't ask you to get rid of protein or fat - those are the essential macronutrients. He'll ask you to cut down on carbohydrates. And you can expect him to reduce your calories even further in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure you're healthy and good looking compared to most girls, but 5'7" 155 pounds is borderline obese in a bikini contest. Carb cycling may not be in the cards for you. But why don't you ask your coach and see how he feels about it? After all, you're paying him a lot of money. And he probably knows a lot more about bikini contests than anyone in this forum.

Sorry for being a douche.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Unfortunately, the Primal Blueprint isn't enough to get most people into bikini competition shape. It's designed to make us healthy and fit and look pretty good naked, but it's not designed to make us underpants models. If that's the route you want to go, you'll need to try some less-than-healthy tweaks, or listen to your bikini competition coach.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so sure that the coach is going to tell the OP to cut carbs. He seems to be on the wrong diet track so far. If anything, she needs to ASK the coach what his future intentions are rather than following him blindly every day.

This menu is throwing a LOT of red flags. In fact, it seems to check off ALL the fat-retention boxes: too carby, too full of fake food, and may be too high in overall caloires. Three scoops of whey powder is excessive. Dairy is known to stall fat loss, and a cup of yogurt is a LOT of dairy. Oatmeal and rice are filler carbs and not good for much. Bananas and sweet potatoes are nice but you don't need that many carbs; maybe cut in half? Nuts are supposed to be great but I'm finding that they just stall metabolism. Too many snackies in between meals.

You should be eating three solid meals of fatty meats, eggs, more berries, more leafy greens, and get rid of all the non-veg carbs.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Is 15 lbs enough?

OP: do more strength, less cardio and you will be less hungry. I used to live on the elliptical and all it did was made me hungry all the time. Lift some weights and your body with thank you. Maybe add some HIIT. Stop eating chia seeds and oatmeal and eat some real meat/seafood instead of whey. Whey is good for a quick release of protein post-workout but nothing adds muscle on me more quickly than red meat.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

5islands is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for your advice and comments, I needed a reality check.

Oxide, I love your suggestions. I actually cut out all the filler carbs and cut back the whey protein as well as the Greek yogurt. I feel better that somebody else feels the same way. I eat avacados for fats and I'll let you know how it goes next weigh in. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Whey is good for a quick release of protein post-workout but nothing adds muscle on me more quickly than red meat.
    That's not actually true. Red meat is awesome and should be eaten by everyone all the time. But whey has the best amino acid profile for stimulating muscle protein synthesis.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That's not actually true. Red meat is awesome and should be eaten by everyone all the time. But whey has the best amino acid profile for stimulating muscle protein synthesis.
    Keep in mind most of those studies are funded by the sports nutrition industry.

Although I have to disclaim I have built up quite the collection of whey over the past 2 years, so I am not against whey altogether. I think its place is maybe after a strength training routine for fast release.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Keep in mind most of those studies are funded by the sports nutrition industry.

Although I have to disclaim I have built up quite the collection of whey over the past 2 years, so I am not against whey altogether. I think its place is maybe after a strength training routine for fast release.
    What studies? The studies that found that why has high BCAA content? That's not a study, it's just a fact.

Listen, I'm all for steak. Nobody's a bigger fan of steak than I am. Steak beats dairy in very nearly every single possible way. But whey definitely has the edge when it comes to MPS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12