Thread: Bread alternatives page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Bread alternatives

Shop Now
    I've come up with a couple of bread alternatives lately.

1. Nori handroll wrappers. I like to make hand rolls with unrolled rollmops (pickled herring) plus avocado, goat cheese and whatever else sounds good. I've even done tahini and tomatoes and it wasn't half bad. I'm betting you could do salami and cheese and it would taste fine. The thing with the nori is that it gives you a means of holding a bunch of messy stuff just long enough to eat it.

2. Sweet potato mug cake. I make the basic paleo mug cake recipe (Paleo Mug Cakes | The Wannabe Chef) except:
    - Instead of a banana I use one of those really dry Japanese sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (or half if it's a big one)
    - Instead of chocolate I use curry powder
    - Instead of an egg I used 3 egg whites (leftover from my primal egg coffee which is really very good)
    - Instead of a mug I put this in a bowl
    Took my microwave 3 minutes. I immediately turned it out of the bowl and let it cool. Then I sliced it cross-wise to two slices. I made open-face sandwiches on them for two lunches.

3. I'm now trying (haven't finished this or tasted it yet) Chia Onion Crackers (Chia Onion Cracker |). I can already see the possibilities if this works out. For example, I could certainly use a lot more onions and if I pulverized them into mush, the onion juice could trigger the gelatinousness of the chia seeds a lot better. I could also season these many ways. I'm hoping it works because I saw these for sale at the health food store for like $10 for a tiny little paper bag of them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Sweet potato mug cake
    Witchcraft!
    I've only tried a blend of coconut/chestnut/cashew flour but now I'm wondering which other starches would work.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it worked great. Those really starchy Japanese ones plus the 3 egg white really hold it together well. Not well enough for full sandwich, but well enough for an open face sandwich. I put a big lettuce leaf on as the top layer and had a sliced chicken breast, tomato, lettuce and mustard sandwich.

Also, the onion crackers came out really tasty. They are quite soft. I can spread soft things on them such as nut butter or cream cheese or softened butter. I don't think I can make a sandwich. I will try next time to make them thinner and see if that doesn't make a firmer cracker that will resist breakage.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    mum used to make rusks as she was south african. the technique could firm up a soft cracker maybe? what she did was made basically a soured milk scone dough, baked it in a square pan. then cut it into slices and dried it out in the oven by baking it a second time.

the primal sunflower and sesame seed crackers work pretty well. the recipe should be in the actual recipe section on the main web site here. it's just ground up sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a blender with water and salt to make a dough and then rolled out and baked.

what does a japanese sweet potato look like? we have kumara which are i think what you call a sweet potato
    Select a Vegetable - Kumara | vegetables.co.nz

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Casabe? Pretty much single ingredient, and its not wheat.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The nori thing has been a favorite of mine for awhile--I love eating ground beef with avocado and salsa wrapped in nori! Nori tacos, essentially