Thread: Can I drink apple cider instead of beer? page

chrisD is offline Junior Member

Can I drink apple cider instead of beer?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love beer and want to go without for 30 days to get My program started. Can I substitute with hard cider? The taste of gluten free beer is less than perfect!

Kimberly P is offline Member
    I am only in my first month of primal, but I drink hard cider and am still losing weight. Just watch to be sure its hard cider and not apple ale (learned that the hard way and got pretty sick ). I have had Woodchuck (my favorite is the Granny Smith and the Amber), Angry Orchard, and I found a new one called Cider Brothers, all of which are gluten free and will clearly state that on the label.

chrisD is offline Junior Member
    Nice. Thanks for responding. I'm going for 30 days without beer. Wish me luck!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I think cider can be less bloating for those who are sensitive to beer. It's almost always all gluten-free so that definitely helps. It might be a good idea to cut down on alcohol consumption in general, but you don't have to address that immediately, especially if you are losing weight at a reasonable rate.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

KT79 is offline Member
    If you're trying to lose weight, just be aware that a bottle of cider often has more calories than a similarly sized beer. Lots of brands add extra sugar, which increases the calories - cider might come it at 200-250 calories for 12 ounces, where a beer is more like 150. I don't care for Woodchuck much, but I like Angry Orchard a lot as well as some of the imported brands - Magners, Strongbow, etc. There's also good ones from Canada and France, if you like drier, less sweet ciders.
    I've yet to see a cider that contains gluten, and I'm celiac so I check carefully.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    There are some great hard ciders out there! Woodchuck lists the carb content on the label, and it varies quite a bit - like 17 - 33 grams.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore