Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your weekly fitness regime? Share goals, give advice. page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

What is your weekly fitness regime? Share goals, give advice.

Shop Now
    I know there is a "What's your workout today" thread, but I'm really interested in what people's weekly workout regime is.

How much are you doing, and to what intensity? What are your goals? Most importantly, how effective is your regime for you so far? If you're missing something, ask for advice here, and maybe someone can give you suggestions.

Feel free to share progress pics too (since we're all currently flaunting our bodies on MDA anyway )

ETA: If you're adding progress pics, use an external hosting site like imgur.com
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

DoraV is offline Member
    Thanks for starting this thread YB.

I'm currently doing crossfit 3x a week and olympic lifting 2x a week. I also signed up for a 5k in Nov so now I'm running 3x a week too. And I love to hike so I go at least once a week for about an hour. I'm the kind of person that needs to be active to feel good. I've noticed that running and hiking help me with stress too.

My goal is to lose some weight, I want to be back at 136ish. I feel like I still have too much fat around my belly.Photo Sep 01, 2 33 52 PM.jpg
    Any and all advice is appreciated.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Here's my current weekly training outline, I vary up the exercises to keep it interesting -

Monday - Recovery – Schedule weekly workouts

Tuesday - Leg Day and Core in the Gym – (Strength Training - Intense) - Squats, Hack Squats, Squat Jumps, Thigh Ext, Leg Curls

Wednesday - High Performance Yoga - 60 to 90 Minutes

Thursday -Upper Body and Core in the Gym (Strength Training - Intense) - Bench, Inclines, Presses, Pull-ups, Cleans etc.

Friday - Intervals - 10 X 100 meters or 6 X 200 meters

Saturday - High Performance Yoga – Morning Full Body Strength Training – Afternoon

Sunday - Cardio – Long slow distance 1 to 3 hours.

Also, I've recently begun to eat to perform. I'm still eating very clean and Primal but upping the amount of Paleo recommended carbs and overall calories somewhat. Training with intensity requires a different dietary approach and now my focus is on fitness improvement and fat % loss not overall weight loss. The idea of eating less and doing more is not only incorrect, but it defies physics.

The important thing to remember is that carbs help you do more work in the gym. More work equals more muscle. More muscle is favorable for fat loss because when you are sitting on your couch watching “Breaking Bad” later that night after your workout, you’ll be burning more fat. This is why people eating adequate amounts of calories but avoiding carbohydrates don’t typically get sustainable results: work capacity barely improves and it’s much harder to build muscle and keep things humming along, so it’s much more difficult to maintain a healthy metabolism and burn fat. It’s really that simple.
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Jittery jay is offline Junior Member
    I work rotating shifts so my workout schedule changes. Having that freedom to change my schedule really helps me stay on track! I find that when I try one of those 3 wks to this or 10 wks to that program, If I miss a few days its hard for me to start again. My weeks usually look something like this:

3 days a week fun activity either hiking or cycling(sprints incorporated)
    2 days s week hard circuit training(5-4-3-2-1 the possibilities are endless and you can make them super hard or whatever)
    Soon to incorporate slackline

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I lift three times per week (5/3/1 variation), walk as much as I can, and have started pushing a sled around, recently. In around a year and a half, I'd like to be able to deadlift about 500, squat about 450, bench press about 300, and overhead press about 200, while weighing 210ish at around 15% body fat. I'm currently chunky and weak, but I'm working on it.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I originally was doing a 3 day a week full-body routine, but split it up to 4 days, Upper/Lower split. I just prefer it, to be honest. Gonna run it for a few months and see if I still like it and get results I want.

1. BENCH DAY
    • Bench: 5x5 Monday
    • OHP: 5x5
    • Barbell Row: 5x5
    • Dip: 3x10
    • Barbell Curl: 3x10
    • Hanging Leg Raises: 3x15-20

2. SQUAT DAY
    • Squat: 5x5 Wednesday
    • Deadlift: 5x5
    • Leg Curl: 4x12
    • Leg Extension: 4x12
    • Leg Press: 4x12

3. OHP DAY
    • OHP: 5x5 Friday
    • Barbell Row: 5x5
    • Bench: 3x8
    • Dip: 3x10
    • Barbell Curl: 3x10
    • Pull Ups/Chins: 3x15-20

4. DEADLIFT DAY
    • Deadlift: 1x5 Saturday
    • Squat: 5x5
    • Leg Curl: 4x12
    • Leg Extension: 4x12
    • Leg Press: 4x12

...admittedly, though, on Squat Day I do Deadlift first and go heavy... because I really love Deadlifts. I also practice squat form daily, because if I don't, my form seems to slip - happens every time.

My goals are to eventually squat twice my bodyweight, deadlift three times my bodyweight and bench... whatever.
    On that note, I'd like to be 65kg by February next year, maybe sooner - final goal of 70kg before possible cut or, more likely, recomp. I've come a long way since I first started weight training and actually getting my shit in gear (ie, not being lazy and using my Coeliacs as an excuse to not eat enough, when in reality it's just I couldn't be bothered), from 47kg (103.4lb) to my current 60kg (132lbs) since September last year. Been a rough ride, but I plan on continuing and never letting myself get that weak again.

I guess my overall goal is be functionally strong and useful. I can already take care of myself, and I've shown that many times in the past, but I want to be able to take care of others, too; ie, people I care about.
    That, and I like feeling awesome. And it's harder to feel more awesome hauling a massive thing both bigger and heavier than me around, asides from maybe dipping bacon in chocolate.

...Might insert progress pics later (in Uni at the moment), but my "before" pics are pretty gross - (I was 5'5, 103lbs...) - and my current pics I took at the gym today are pretty low quality, but meh, what the hell. If I remember, I'll do it.
    Last edited by Shadowknight137; 09-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Weekly I'm doing two strength days and one metabolic conditioning day. Strength is an upper/lower split, but its actually 2 different upper workouts and the same lower one. So I only do the same upper workout once every 14-20 days. I do little to no rest between working sets and only one set to complete failure on each exercise. About 5 exercises per workout.

Example. Chest/Back:
    Flys
    Bench
    Pullovers
    Chins
    Deadlifts

Metabolic conditioning is usually 15-20 minutes of circuits for time or number of rounds completed with bodyweight stuff.

Move slow by biking and walking to and from work along with wrastlin mine and every other kid in the neighborhood since they all hang here.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Typical week for me is as follows:

Monday - Gym day 5x5 either Squats, bench, rows or Squats, OH press and DL. Plus pullups, dips and pushups to finish
    Tuesday - Morning 2800m swimming in a squad, enduarance session (I all ways swim)
    Tuesday - Evening Metcon BW type workout or 5km Jog or sprints, or rest
    Wednesday - Gym session 5x5 as above
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Morning swim squad 2800m sprint type session
    Friday - PM surfski paddle or surf or standup paddle
    Saturady - Gym session or surf or surfski paddle, thsi will switch to 2 hours of beach training with my kids for surfclub in about 2 months time
    Sunday - Rest or beach day with kids as above 2 hours surfclub training with kids

As summer kicks is I will kite surf and ski paddle more in the afternoons so the gym days will drop to 1-2 per week. Surfclub training starts up for the kids so I help out there and get a good 2 hours of work in on the mornings during the weekend and wednesday afternoon.

For me Swim squad is the constant, build rest of week around thoose two sesiions and how I feel.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Niiiice regimes guys! Very interesting to see everyone's so far!

How effective do you feel these regimes are so far in helping you reach your goals? (your goal might just be maintenance). Please share - it might give people ideas for if they feel stuck.

@Fatbellyfrog - have you noticed a difference in how swimming affects your body comp versus lifting?

@Neckhammer - Playing with kids is awesome exercise! I think people underestimate how much you end up moving and exerting yourself. They always want physical contact.

@DoraV - how long have you been on this regimen, and has it worked so far? I think most people here would suggest lifting heavier versus more reps. I also question the effectiveness of Cross Fit - I'm doing a gym class that is modelled on it, and I'm going to drop it soon in favour of lifting heavy.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eadiesfhc is offline Junior Member
    I've noticed that running and hiking help me with stress too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast