Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your weekly fitness regime? Share goals, give advice. page 2

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Only been lifting heavy for the last 3 months, before was BW and KB metcons for the last couple of years.

I did my first short coarse adventure race last year so goal is to keep fitness levels up after letting them get soooo so low.... More important for me is to keep up with my kids (13,11,9) and continue to surf, standup paddle, hunt, hike, ski paddle, kitesurf for as long as I can. Basically enjoy my time in the ocean as much as i can for as long as i can.

Havent noticed much BC change with swimming, maybe a bit of size increase in lats and shoulders. The most significant benefits of swimming are increased flexibility, lung capacity with hepls out with everything, and surf fitness/enduarance. I am a stronger and fitter paddler after a year of swimming 2 x a week.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Mon - social netball (24 mins playing time).
    Tue - tramping (3-5 hours)
    Wed - nothing planned, might walk somewhere ?
    Thu - weights class at the gym (1 hour)
    Fri - possibly walk to town (45mins) and maybe return also.
    Sat,Sun - no exercise to speak of.

My goals: To be healthy and to look good clothed. You can see that I obviously need some exercise related goals, but this bare minimum amount is serving me well enough for now.

Currently, I'm lifting 3/week, alternating the following two workouts:

Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

And

Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

It's the very beginning program for Starting Strength. Once my deadlift is well ahead of my squat, I'll switch in power cleans during one workout.

I'd like to work in joint mobility, swimming, and swing dancing lessons on off days (I've been challenged to learn how to dance). Unfortunately, school doesn't give me the time for that.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    2 or 3 heavy lifting days (usually tue & fri) centered around DL and squat. Once in a while I throw in press and bench press.
    Tennis (singles) and swimming during weekend.

I have cut down running for running sake significantly. Last I ran was probably a month ago, a distance of 5K. All running is done on tennis courts.

Goal is to remain strong and healthy and enjoy life.
    Few but ripe.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Usually:
    Monday: Squat, Bench
    Tuesday: Random shit, exercise bike sprints
    Wednesday: take a walk
    Thursday: Squat, Press
    Friday: Pullups, exercise bike sprints
    Weekend: One hike, some walking

I can't say this actually works much. Some of it does. I feel the strength training and sprints keep me fit for hiking, so long as I can get about a week's worth of complete recovery before I do any hiking. Otherwise, I feel chronically wiped out and sore. I'm injured from deadlifting and struggle to sit up from a lying position or turn over in bed. So I won't deadlift anymore--the random shit is stuff like goodmornings and back extensions, if I can do them. The goodmornings leave me with crippled hamstrings and the back extensions are a struggle even to do 8 reps holding a 10lb plate. My lifts don't really progress anymore except for squat, but a few weeks off and everything has regressed terribly.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Monday - sprints on stationary bike in the morning, upper body lifting + dead lift in evening
    Tuesday - 3 mile slow run with my dog
    Wednesday - abs/core work and some leg work, mostly body weight with some walking lunges with weights
    Thursday - 3 mile slow run with my dog in the a.m., upper body lifting + dead lift in evening
    Friday - rest day, which is sometimes active with running errands, etc.
    Saturday - 5 or 6 mile slow run with my dog
    Sunday - abs/core work and some leg work

I also go for 15-20 minute walks at lunchtime when I can. I'm very much a "routine" person.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Monday thru Friday I go to Crossfit. We just did a month of following the main site workouts, so each day I did some extra lifting, mainly squats. I also walk 15-20 minutes at lunch. Weekends I go horseback riding.

I've seen a big change in my fitness in the past month. Everything is easier and I look/feel harder and more toned. I also sleep better. I personally enjoy how hard CF is as my body gets used to things quickly. I also recover quickly.

Of all things, my back is getting stronger and stronger, which is awesome. I still do assisted pullups and at this point pullups are easier than chin ups. I still feel like a cripple when I go riding. I mean, we did this ridiculous WOD- 90 155lb dead lifts coupled with 90 burpees and my back felt OK, but then 20 minutes on my horse and I'm in pain.

It actually makes me kind of sad that I can go do CF 5 days a week with minor aches and pains, but riding is becoming increasingly painful. I have no idea what the disconnect is.

In terms of shaping my body and getting me fit, CF is the most effective thing I have tried - better than running, P90X, Insanity, regular gym etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

DoraV is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    @DoraV - how long have you been on this regimen, and has it worked so far? I think most people here would suggest lifting heavier versus more reps. I also question the effectiveness of Cross Fit - I'm doing a gym class that is modelled on it, and I'm going to drop it soon in favour of lifting heavy.
    I started crossfit in January and Olympic lifting in July. I'm definitely lifting heavy (for me) at the oly lifting classes (tuesday & thursday) and fairly heavy (60-90%) at crossfit (mon-wed-fri). I'm not sure how effective crossfit is for others but for me it's been great. I'm getting stronger and my body is changing, my waist is smaller. My husband who started with me but had no weight to lose looks amazing, you can really see the definition all over his body.

My goal is to lose 10-15 lbs of fat while getting stronger. But losing weight at my age is no small feat.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 150
    GW 136

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    I am going through a slight transition b/c we have just had a wee buba (one week old today).

I am tailoring workouts around time with family but allowing me to work out often.

So im leaning towards:

3x proprioception workouts a week (I also use this style of training with my clients)

2-3 bike workouts (I have hills near by and we have a continued love/hate relationship).

1-2 rowing workouts (depending on weather and how many bike workouts I get.

I have also considered John Littles Max Pyramid protocol which calls for 1 session in the gym a week (that's all you can take), which would allow me more time on the bike etc but we will see.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Monday thru Friday I go to Crossfit. We just did a month of following the main site workouts, so each day I did some extra lifting, mainly squats. I also walk 15-20 minutes at lunch. Weekends I go horseback riding.

I've seen a big change in my fitness in the past month. Everything is easier and I look/feel harder and more toned. I also sleep better. I personally enjoy how hard CF is as my body gets used to things quickly. I also recover quickly.

Of all things, my back is getting stronger and stronger, which is awesome. I still do assisted pullups and at this point pullups are easier than chin ups. I still feel like a cripple when I go riding. I mean, we did this ridiculous WOD- 90 155lb dead lifts coupled with 90 burpees and my back felt OK, but then 20 minutes on my horse and I'm in pain.

It actually makes me kind of sad that I can go do CF 5 days a week with minor aches and pains, but riding is becoming increasingly painful. I have no idea what the disconnect is.

In terms of shaping my body and getting me fit, CF is the most effective thing I have tried - better than running, P90X, Insanity, regular gym etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoraV View Post
    I started crossfit in January and Olympic lifting in July. I'm definitely lifting heavy (for me) at the oly lifting classes (tuesday & thursday) and fairly heavy (60-90%) at crossfit (mon-wed-fri). I'm not sure how effective crossfit is for others but for me it's been great. I'm getting stronger and my body is changing, my waist is smaller. My husband who started with me but had no weight to lose looks amazing, you can really see the definition all over his body.

My goal is to lose 10-15 lbs of fat while getting stronger. But losing weight at my age is no small feat.
    Sorry, just group quoting as in a rush...

Okay, I'm certainly no expert on all this, but I'd like to share my experience over the last three months for what it's worth.

initially started working out moderately - sprinting, walking, swimming, going to a cross fit style class at the gym once a week. Felt great, and as my fitness levels rose I started doing more and more intense exercise like the cross fit style class.

Pretty much instantly, I noticed a big change in my arms. I've always had thin arms, but suddenly they were starting to look really bulky. I thought it was muscle, and that the fat would come off. Then I thought I might be retaining water in them. Now, after two months of intense workouts, I realise that it's fat.

I'm pretty sure that all the intense cardio, and high rep at low weight actually gave me more body fat than when I started. I didn't really notice because my hips and legs are slimming up, but I kept noticing that my face was "puffy" after workouts, and then there was the arm thing...

Also, Magnoila - the horse riding. Since starting these workouts, my yoga has suffered A LOT. I'm stronger, but my mobility is completely shot, compared to what it used to be - particularly in the hips. That could be why riding has become painful for you.

This was my workout for the last two months.

Mon: Lifting + 1km treadmill walking @incline
    Tues: Power Pump class (similar to Cross Fit) - one hour: intense; teaching yoga: 75 mins.
    Wed: Step aerobics - 30 mins: very intense (cardio); lifting dumbbells and core work: 30 mins: intense.
    Thurs: 90 mins yoga (intense)
    Fri: Swimming (currently 726 metres = .45 miles)
    Sat: Power Pump- one hour: very intense (cardio + lifting + core); Dance aerobics - one hour: moderate intensity (cardio)
    Sun: Day off / walk.

Looking at it now I can see I was overdoing it, with the wrong kind of stuff. I'm changing it up now - taking out all the cross fit style stuff, and the aerobics, replacing with swimming, heavier lifting and more yoga. We see what that does...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast