Thread: Preparing Meat page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Preparing Meat

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I was reading online that you aren't supposed to rinse your meat at all before cooking because it might contaminate the counter, etc. However, can I still boil the meat for a few minutes and get rid of all the gunk that floats up to the top? Isn't that different from simply rinsing the meat in the sink?

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i have never rinsed any meat whatsoever. if it was to contaminate the counter, can you not just wash the counter?

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I would never boil meat. You'll have a gray hunk of tough meat. I never rinse meat. I sometimes pat it with paper towels before I cook it to ensure a good sear. What kind of meat are you referring to?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    Well, usually my mom boils the beef or chicken for like 3-4 mins, then dumps out that water (full of yucky stuff on top) right before she actually uses the pressure pot to cook it for 30-40 mins. That's how we usually eat meat ... and it's not tough at all.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

If that is a family thing, then just continue to do that. No need to change what you are doing.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    but i would certainly question (maybe internally) why?
    What are you removing in the first boil?

enteroutdo is offline Junior Member
    If that is a family thing, then just continue to do that. No need to change what you are doing.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    I was reading online that you aren't supposed to rinse your meat at all before cooking because it might contaminate the counter, etc.
    Are you referring to this? Bacteria! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! | Michael Ruhlman The original article is linked there, but I think the blog post gives some valuable context.

That said, prep before pressure cooking may serve a completely different purpose. I don't know, because the only thing I've ever pressure cooked is corned beef.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I read an article like that a while back. It was weird. Don't people who write these articles know how to properly clean and disinfect their sinks after rinsing chicken in them?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After thinking about it, I may know what this is about. Years back, when I always made stock on the stove, I remember a chef in the restaurant telling me (Julia Childs said the same thing) to skim the foam that develops for the first hour or so. It resulted in a clearer stock. Then when I started using a pressure cooker, my stocks were murkier. I didn't care much, but I vaguely remember the technique of bringing the contents to a simmer and pouring the water out and rinsing. I don't remember doing it. So possibly it's the same thing or possibly the rinsing or boiling is to just get rid of existing pathogens. I never bother but I know a lot of people who rinse their meats. And yeah, easy to clean up any splatters..you just have to be thorough.