Thread: Fine Tuning Things page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Fine Tuning Things

Shop Now
    I decided that this is a good place to track my own progression with this primal lifestyle.

I decided last summer to throw out/quit purchasing commercially processed foods, for the most part. I do have 4 kids and while I have drastically changed their SAD diet, they do still get some junk cuz they are kids. Hubby and I eat pretty cleanly.

I got serious in the fall of last year and have lost 15 lbs. I should be content at 5'7 and 120lbs, but I am not. I really don't need to lose weight but I still have some belly pudge that I would love to get rid of.

I swim almost 2 mi 3x per week and try to 'primalize' it but not being to aggressive, I am usually content to swim near the back of my lane and let those who want to push it go ahead of me. I occasionally ride and want to take up a little jogging. I woudl really like to learn more about kettle balls but money is kind of tight.

I have been reading a lot here and working hard to try to apply more primal principals to my daily diet, mostly increasing my protein and fat intake and lowering my carbs (veg & fruit) just a little bit.

Since minimizing my veggie & fruit carbs I feel a little off....I am not really sure why. I read another thread that suggested someone take an additional magnesium & calcium sup. her issues sounded quite a bit like mine. I guess that should be on my to do list!

My typical diet is:

6 am- 2 cups of coffee with 2 tsp turbinado & 2 tbs HWC
    8:30 Breakfast: eggs, sometimes sautéed veg ....working on adding meat ....smoothie (blueberry, kale, spinach, coconut milk & kefir

12:30 Lunch: big salad with lots of chopped veg and some cheese/hard boiled egg.....working on replacing the cheese with meat

2:30 snack: handful almonds/walnuts/ hard boiled egg/ 1oz of cheese and few slices salami...one of these

6:30 Dinner: meat & veg or soup & salad or some other concoction

Also the occasional glass of wine during the week (2-3?) and maybe 4 beers over the course of the weekend, which I know is bad but I am trying to keep perspective and I enjoy having a drink (did I mention that I have 4 kids?).

Anyway....if anyone has any suggestions on fine tuning this I'd appreciate the input.
    Last edited by dacec; 06-03-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added more info :)

dacec is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I seem to be doing better at managing a lower carb level. YAY!

I have found that by increasing my protein I actually no longer need snacks, what a plus

I also decided to let go of the alcohol guilt. I don't indulge more than once or twice during the week and on the weekend, so as long as I feel good, I am going to let that one go.

In another post I mentioned that with summer right around the corner, my kids are in for another hefty dose of dietary change. My son is the worst offender so he will be the biggest challenge by far. He is 14 and a very picky eater. I am boosting fats, protein and veggies. Like it or leave it.... till your next meal is likely to become my new mantra. And to think they can't wait for school to get out....bwahahahahaha!

DH and I are going to start a bodyweight exercise routine next week. We swim, so after swim we will go to the park by the pool and do push ups, pull ups, planks and squats....that should be a good start

I really enjoy all the great feedback from this forum.....you all are great!