Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!: Caloric deficit impossible with this much fat! page

greengardengirl007 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!: Caloric deficit impossible with this much fat!

Hi All, (please see below in bold where I have added to this post in order to clarify.. I AM VLC!)

I just gained five pounds from eating around 3000 calories day. I am trying to eat the 50+ grams of protien per meal. 65 grams of salmon is 600 calories! That's before my avocado and coconut oil!!!!!

How does one eat 3 a four tablespoons of ghee and coconut oil--- which are 120 calories each- plus all this meat and manage to lose weight???

In order for me to feel full and not starving on Paleo I have to eat so much food that I would need to work out 3 hours a day!

And because I dont have the energy from the carbs, I am getting more fat.

BUT, if I lower my fat intake I get hungry!

I am a female weighing 270 pounds- trying to lose 117 pounds and I guess I will just have to go hungry because drinking all this coconut oil is just too many calories.

I am going to have to have smaller Paleo meals in order to continue to lose weight. I guess some of us will just have to feel like we are starving all the time as the price to pay for a major weight loss right?

I can't eat more fat-- its too many calories! What other options does an insulin resistant obese person trying to lose 100 pounds on paleo have?

Options:
    *lower fat and protien intake and feel hungry and angry all the time- but achieve caloric deficit for weight loss
    *Keep eating how I am eating and find the energy to excersize 3 hours a day

Anyone ever been thru this?

PLEASE READ! I am adding this after reading some of the replies to my thread. I am insulin resistant and do NOT eat any starches. All of my carbs come from non starchy veggies (avocado, zucchini, greens, daikon, herbs) I do not eat corn, potatoes of any kind, and if I want I will have a tiny bit of carrot. It is imperative to my health that I keep my carb count at no more than 50g per day. I am using LC-Paleo to keep myself from developing full blown T2Diabetes. My refernce to carbs in this post was to give an example of how I would not have energy to exersize because I was not eating carbs.... This is because I dont think my body has made the switch to burning fat for fuel yet. So I am in a "energy limbo" right now. I hope this clears things up a bit. Thanks for all the replys! Its been motivating, educating and fun to read!!!
    Last edited by greengardengirl007; 09-01-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Need to clarify a point about my carb intake!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'd say you are gonna have to do option one with the tweak of actually increasing your protein.... i.e. eating more meat.

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Drinking coconut oil is kind of a red flag.

Use added fats to cook with or as dressings. Don't fear, but don't eat by the spoonful either.

Upping my protein helped my satiety. Eating more meats and eggs helps.

Try not counting calories if you can help it. Learn what true hunger is for yourself. Your caloric needs will change as you lose weight.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I can easily gain 5 pounds in a day, mostly water weight, and then gone in a day or two. No big deal.

Never lower your protein. Protein is what fills you up and redesigns your body. You can play with fat and carbs, but even if you have to get all 2000~ish calories from protein, do it. As long as there's enough fat to metabolize the meat, like eating the salmon skin, eating the fat at the edge of the steak, etc, you're good in the short term.

And of course, don't forget to supplement electrolytes to replace those lost with the water weight whooshes.

Stop exercising so much for now. Just eat right, your body wants to be awesome. Just do a few push-ups and chinups or something similar, maybe some walking for now. Once you lean out, then look at more intense fitness programs. Exercising while overweight is very dangerous for your joints and your heart, you could do irreversible damage to your body. I mean, yeah, do SOMETHING maybe every other day, but 3x a day is just silly.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Hunger is not a simple fuel gauge--there could be any number of non-energy deficiencies or behavior cues driving it. Focus on maximum micronutrients (eggs, organs, shellfish, vegetables) and the appetite should normalize. If you choose to budget calories, they'll go a lot farther if you allocate them onto attractive meal plates instead of oil shots.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You also might be eating too often.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Glass0wl is offline Member
    I would in this instance put up my protein, and if you feel hungry have some protein. When I started my diet I would snack on a plain roast chicken breast between meals. I had to do this for about a month until my appetite stabilised. I still lost weight. The fat I ate was either on the food - salad dressing or butter to cook with or as my treat which was cream on 50g of blueberries each day.

Best of ck

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Have you been diagnosed as insulin resistant, or just something you're guessing/assuming based on being "obese"?

If you have to stay low carb because of it, consider having some other lean meats rotated in. It's not a fat-gorging feast, because yes you'll still gain weight in a caloric surplus. (I'm sure saying that will cause a bit of a war but whatever, one is surely bound to break out in here anyway)

Bulk up your meals with vegetables so you'll feel satiated that way, with the volume. You can have some fatty meats like salmon but yes, they "cost" a lot of calories. Protein is important, so if you can hit your targeted number of it while also staying at or under your target calories, that will be the ticket.

I gained weight with a high-fat diet while not checking my calories. You have to find what works for you, but if you're seeing that what you're doing right now doesn't, then it's time to change it up.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Up the protein.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some people feel that fat staves off hunger, but I really don't think that applies to everyone. I love fats, but they do little to help me feel satisfied. When it comes to a filling meal, I go for leaner cuts of meat such as chicken breast, lean sirloin, pork loin, etc. I have a large side of some filling complex carbs such as sweet potatoes along with other non starch veggies.

For example, yesterday, my lunch consist of about 12 ounces chicken breast, 14 ounces sweet potato, a cup or so of broccoli and cauliflower. By volume, this was a huge meal with my plate being completely full with almost 2 pounds of food, and total calories was about 750-800. If you don't like sweet potatoes, then just swap it out and have 2-3 large pieces of fruit for dessert.

Three huge meals like this one, and you are still in a caloric deficit, with room to even add in a little butter or oil. A little, meaning, a tablespoonful or less per meal. Definitely do not eliminate fats, but keep them within reason. They play a vital role in your health and hormones, but keep in mind they carry a heavy caloric load. By reducing the fats, you can replace them with bulkier nutrition that keeps you fuller.

Thus far, this has been my best strategy to lose fat. I stay full, don't get crazy from cutting carbs, and it helps my workouts as well.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast