Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who likes really hot weather? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Who likes really hot weather?

Primal Fuel
    For my whole life, I've enjoyed it. I'm basically unaffected by heat until it's like 105, and I'm exerting myself strenuously. I could probably be comfortable in 110 if I was just laying down. This is a great mystery to me.

For one, everyone complains about heat all the time, especially where I'm from. I think I've met one or two people in my life who might enjoy (or survive) heat as much as I do. Is there anyone else here who is with me?

For two, what would predispose me to good heat regulation? This is not the typical Google question, so quality websites are not popping up. The best I can find is that the hypothalamus in the brain decides how the body regulates heat. Could it be a very healthy hypothalamus that works for me?

Let me know what you think...

primalhorsewoman is offline Junior Member
    I don't know that I LIKE heat and humidity, but one thing I have noticed lately is that unless it is really miserable (95 and humid), I seem to be handling the heat pretty well. The other day I was outside and looked up and saw that it was 87 degrees and I was perfectly comfortable.

I do OK in the cold, although I STAY cold after being out in it all day. It seems to take me a little while (a couple of weeks) when the seasons change to regulate my temp.

How do you handle the cold? As well as the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you. I love the heat and always have. So much that I have yet to discover a threshold. In other words, it can't get too hot for me. When it's really hot you'll find me outside all day - doing yard work, washing our cars, gardening, playing, or just plain laying out and soaking up some rays. But eventually I need a way to cool down. Such as going inside where there is A/C or taking a dip in a pool or other body of water.

We're having a heat wave right now here in Iowa and we gets loads of humidity with it. Heat index of 105 yesterday. I much prefer the dry heat (which I've only experienced on vacation since it doesn't exist here) but I'm not going to complain because at least it's still hot.

Fortunately for me my wife is the same. We are total oddballs around here, though we have met others who like the heat but it's extremely rare. On the flip side we hate cold weather. We don't do anything outdoors in the winter.
    You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have. - Ron Swanson

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Living in New England we get both extremes, very hot and very cold and sometimes in the same day.

I like to be outside when it's hot that doesn't bother me at all. Though as I get older I hate when it's hot and humid inside so the central air gets kicked on when it get sticky.

In winter if I'm outside a long time I dress for it. Inside due to oil costs I keep the thermostat at a balmy 63.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalhorsewoman View Post
    I don't know that I LIKE heat and humidity, but one thing I have noticed lately is that unless it is really miserable (95 and humid), I seem to be handling the heat pretty well. The other day I was outside and looked up and saw that it was 87 degrees and I was perfectly comfortable.

I do OK in the cold, although I STAY cold after being out in it all day. It seems to take me a little while (a couple of weeks) when the seasons change to regulate my temp.

How do you handle the cold? As well as the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I like humidity from what I've experienced with it, but at least I can understand why some might not like it. If it's overly humid, your body can actually lose it's ability to cool down via sweat due to the condensation of the water in the air on your body.

As for cool, I started snowboarding/skiing in 4th or 5th grade. I've always been comfortable in those conditions with a decent amount of clothes. Down in the valley, it won't snow, but it will be 40-45 for a portion of the year. I'm the oddball wearing shorts and a tank top at that time. I also take showers with the hot water set to zero, meaning the water is it's temperature straight out of the ground (I have a well). Overall, I take the cold well, but I don't enjoy it like the heat.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I'm with you. I love the heat and always have. So much that I have yet to discover a threshold. In other words, it can't get too hot for me. When it's really hot you'll find me outside all day - doing yard work, washing our cars, gardening, playing, or just plain laying out and soaking up some rays. But eventually I need a way to cool down. Such as going inside where there is A/C or taking a dip in a pool or other body of water.

We're having a heat wave right now here in Iowa and we gets loads of humidity with it. Heat index of 105 yesterday. I much prefer the dry heat (which I've only experienced on vacation since it doesn't exist here) but I'm not going to complain because at least it's still hot.

Fortunately for me my wife is the same. We are total oddballs around here, though we have met others who like the heat but it's extremely rare. On the flip side we hate cold weather. We don't do anything outdoors in the winter.
    I'm thinking about making "heat enjoyment" my number one dating criteria for a minute to see if I attract like-minded people.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am a spring/fall kinda girl. Do really badly in heat and extreme cold, moved to Vancouver 3 years ago for that reason.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Mrs. B is offline Junior Member
    I hate the heat, always have. It's a good thing I live in snow country.

60 degrees is where I like it, both outdoors and in. We never set our thermostat over 65 at the max, or it feels too hot to me. I came of age during the Jimmy Carter turn-down-the-heat-and-put-on-a-sweater years, so that's probably why I'm used to the house being cool.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Interesting question! I live in the uk, where we can get several seasons in one day and traditionally have rubbish summers. This year we have had 8 weeks of lovely weather with a lot of that being 25C+ (hot for uk!). But with 90% humidity also most days, rising to 95%.
    I have coped well with it, though I have a well ventilated house I am out a lot but naturally seek shade most people I know have complained a lot.
    Having said that, I like cold weather too, I just layer up well. Maybe some of us are just sensible enough to dress for the weather and use common sense?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, desert heat is the best kind because it cools off overnight, giving you a break from it. Areas of deep shade can also remain cool even with open sun areas are blazing hot. I like warm and humid, such as 80-85 degrees and humid. It's a sensation you rarely get in So Cal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast