Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Body By Science? page

SupermanRedSun is offline Junior Member

The Body By Science?

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and figure this would be a great place to ask about the Body by Science. I've been reading a few things on-line about it and so far I think it sounds good however I wanted to ask everyone here who has tried it or at least knows about it and ask what you think about it?

Are there any studies or research done on it or the concept that shows results? Anything else that you could add in would be appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to reading what you write back!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I got into bodybuilding when I was 19-20. (Turned out I was an easy gainer) I over trained and got injured doing Franco Columbu's Winning Bodybuilding. Nobody heard of steroids in those days (1976). I guessed that's why Franco could handle the volume better than a natural like myself. I had to layoff for a year. When I got back to lifting I began reading Mike Mentzer's High Intensity Training (HIT) stuff. I had really good results with it. A workout week consisted of about 40 minutes four days per week. The body workout was split. I still over trained if I wasn't careful.

Then a friend and I did Ellington Darden's High Intensity Bodybuilding. Mentzer and Darden were from the Author Jones camp. So is Dr Doug McGuff. Anyway, the two of use worked out on a very high intensity, full-body workout 3 days per week. We got the workout down to 40 minutes. Before then, I didn't think it was possible but I gained 2lbs of muscle per week over a period of about 6 weeks. My body weight went from 202lb to 216lbs. My friend, being taller, gained more muscle than I did. There was no special diet. I was in my late 20s at the time. Even though I was only bench pressing 1 set per workout (3 sets total in a week) I finally got over the 300lb mark as my best bench. A the end of those 6 weeks we were shot and fatigued. We had to lay off.

I get into my late 40 (circa 47 years old) and cut back to lifting once a week per body part. I was working out chest, shoulders, triceps on Monday, Legs and abs on Wednesday, and Back and biceps on Friday. My bench press went to 365lbs. I was warming up with 300lbs. I can't tell you about squats or deadlifts since I don't max them. Goes back to the low-back, overtraining injury I got at 19-20 from doing Franco's high volume training.

About that same time Mike Mentzer was doing personal training and keeping detailed records of his clients. Some of them weren't gaining. He thought they were putting enough intensity into the workouts and they were recording their diets. The only thing he thought he could tweak was rest. So he added days between workouts and his clients began gaining. Doug McGuff follows that same format and relies upon more recent university experiments.

I basically follow the same format as Body by Science but will do more than the five exercises he recommends and I will often do more days per week. If you are doing BbS I don't see anything wrong with lifting two days in a row and then taking the required days off to recover. I mix things up. I like to do 30 minutes of P90x but sub weightlifting for some of the bodyweight exercises .
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Hey thanks for responding back! How about in regards to body weight exercises? How would or could The Body By Science work for that?

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    If you are into the HIT concepts but still want to try a bodyweight workout then check out Drew Baye's articles.

I'm a huge HIT fan and always will be !

I think it'd pretty tough to do a HIT bodyweight workout unless you are pretty week. Pullups I can see. The whole point about HIT training is to exhaust the muscle/body's glycogen reserves in a short amount of time. By far the best way I know to do that isn't with weightlifting but having a competitive team tug-of-war. Get about a half dozen people (six or more on each side), a 1 1/4" diameter rope, some deep sand or dig deep footing so you can't slide, and get after it. Tug-of-war like this is brutal. I've run hard 15ks and 10 miles. At the end of those runs I felt drained and hypoglycemic. Tug-of-war will do that to you in under 5 minutes of competitive straining. I think more than once per week would be too much. But that's about what you are trying to accomplish in the weightroom with Body by Science. That type of training isn't for everyone but in my experience it's the most effective. Just like tug-of-war uses the most amount of muscle at one time exercises like squats are more effective. They're more systemic.

If I had to do it over again, though, I wouldn't go for muscle bulk. I'd take more of Mark Sisson's approach and lift heavy, maybe, on Mondays followed by long walks or tossing a Frisbee with someone, some wind sprints, etc. Probably the best shape I'd ever gotten into was when the same weightlifting friend (that I mentioned above) would do a workout and then for the fun of it (play) we'd toss a Frisbee in the parking lot for an hour or so. The goal would be more towards athleticism. P90x with some weights seems to me to be a pretty good mix. I'm lucky enough to have a shop with a TV and weights were I can easily mix the two together. For example, instead of all pushups I'll set up for bench press and mix that into the workout.

Along the lines of Primal, in the 80's when bodybuilding drifted away from the 1960's and even 1970's builds (such as Frank Zane's http://img5.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/...1_0?1371898451) to what you see today I asked myself a basic question: If these guys had to survival in a tribal environment they couldn't make it. It takes too many calories and effort to maintain those builds. If you look at what men and women find the most attractive in body builds what I think someone is looking at is an ideal hunter/gatherer build. I think our genes push us to prefer one build over another as a survival/health strategy. What I did was adjust my perspective to that type of build, a balance between endurance and strength. It didn't dawn on me at the time to think in terms of paleo diet. When I finally looked at Paleo/Primal diet it was like "Duh". Instead I followed CW and struggled keeping my % of bodyfat down to where I wanted it.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Right on and I agree with what you are saying about how it wouldn't work with body weight exercises ( except for Pull Ups ).

Now what about running? In particular endurance running? I ask that because I need to be able to run 2 miles in no more than 16:36's and am wondering now how it would play into Body By Science?

Oh and also as far as using free weights which is what I plan to use what are the advantages and disadvantages of using dumbbells/kettlebells over barbells?

What are you training for? 2 miles in 16 minutes is an 8 minute mile. That should be doable if you are reasonably fit. Let's say you do B by S on Mondays, I'd run the 2 miles beginning on maybe Wednesday with maybe some wind sprints at the end. But to get the time down on the 2 mile run I add speed work (intervals) on, say, Friday's, 2 mile runs to get your times down.

At the end of a Body by Science workout you should feel a little lightheaded. But you want to guard against overtraining the rest of the week's workouts. Find somebody to go to the park everyday to toss Frisbee (or football if you prefer but I think Frisbee adds more options). Use that as an active recovery. It should be fun, not a workout.

I don't have an opinion on kettlebells since I never used them. Barbells and dumbbells depends on what exercise your using. If I had to make a choice I'd go with the barbells. I can use more weight and be more controlled doing compound exercises, like squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    What are you training for? 2 miles in 16 minutes is an 8 minute mile. That should be doable if you are reasonably fit. Let's say you do B by S on Mondays, I'd run the 2 miles beginning on maybe Wednesday with maybe some wind sprints at the end. But to get the time down on the 2 mile run I add speed work (intervals) on, say, Friday's, 2 mile runs to get your times down.

At the end of a Body by Science workout you should feel a little lightheaded. But you want to guard against overtraining the rest of the week's workouts. Find somebody to go to the park everyday to toss Frisbee (or football if you prefer but I think Frisbee adds more options). Use that as an active recovery. It should be fun, not a workout.

I don't have an opinion on kettlebells since I never used them. Barbells and dumbbells depends on what exercise your using. If I had to make a choice I'd go with the barbells. I can use more weight and be more controlled doing compound exercises, like squats.
    Here are the following 5 compound exercises I'm going to be doing for Body By Science

The Lat Pull Down and/or Pull Ups

Floor Press

Squat

Deadlift

Overhead Press

Now obviously the first one in that list doesn't count because it will be on a machine and/or a bar but for the other four what should be used dumbbells or barbells?

Also for the squat any particular variation?

Same with overhead press any different kind of variation?

The reason I need to pass the 2 mile run in that time span is because I might have to take a physical fitness test in the somewhat near future and need to be ready for it.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BBS likes to focus on machines, much better off with free weights or bodyweight in MHO
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast