Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal friendly countries. page

mammal is offline Junior Member

Primal friendly countries.

Shop Now
    Hi folks, I am saving money in order to travel long-term. Food is one of the things I am concerned about, since it would be much more difficult to be in control of what goes into my mouth in a foreign country. I assume most people would have the same problem, so I would like to know how other long-termed travelers deal with this issue. I am also curious to know, in your experience, which has been the most primal/fathead friendly countries.
    I have heard, for instance, that in Australia and New Zealand grass fed meat is the norm, but I discard those countries as they are fairly expensive for a budget traveller.
    According to this article (Raw Milk in Romania - HandPicked Nation) Romania seems a nice country for primal enthusiastsbut I have never been there.
    Thanks for considering my post.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Cannot recommend Malaysia or Brunei. They love canola oil, rice, sugary drinks and nearly everything is imported, the concepts of organic or even free range are pretty much unheard of.

But......I think you'd be missing out on a huge portion of the world if you only travel to Paleo friendly places, and only eat paleo friendly foods. I can get by over here, but I have to make a few sacrifices with my diet. And you can bet that when I go to a local restuarant I'm not going to restrict myself or try to translate my food preferences to Malay, I'll be tucking into the Mee Goreng and the Sweet and Sour Chicken and the Butter Crab with absolutely no thought to what oil they used, or wheat vs rice noodles or what sweetener they put in the sauce. It's all part of the experience of travel.

There are paleo friendly options here for sure, you just need to spend lots of time shopping and then cooking your own food mostly. There are almost always at least one good option at every restuarant, salad or a curry minus the rice. You just need to lower your expectations a little and have room for compromise.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I don't think you should be traveling in order to survive (eat primal). I think you should be traveling in order to *live*.

Well, I didn´t mean to say I was gonna travel *only* to paleo friendly countries. But because I won´t be able to visist every country, I´d rather visit cheap and primal friendly first. By which I mean places in which you can buy grass-fed meat and dairy easily.
    For example Spain (where I came from) is definatly a non-primal friendly country. Surely, meat is eaten liberally -although the vegetarian frenzy is catching up- but it is grain-fed, the concept of grass-fed doesn´t even exist.
    Is Malaysia that bad?. I´ve never visited Malaysia, but I thought it was quite easy. This family lives in Malaysia and they are eating grain-free -there are several recipes in the archive. Soul Travelers 3: blog

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mammal View Post
    For example Spain (where I came from) is definatly a non-primal friendly country. Surely, meat is eaten liberally -although the vegetarian frenzy is catching up- but it is grain-fed, the concept of grass-fed doesn´t even exist.
    I travelled in spain last spring (on the camino francés) and wasn't able to remain primal

For grass fed meat and raw milk, you have to go to northern countries (where it rains !) Maybe Ireland ? (I love Ireland and I remember butter and milk were so tasty.
    I live in the south-western France and we don't have grass-fed meat neither. In fact, we don't have enough grass and rain.

Well, I used to live in the Basque region (which is very rainy and green, so grass is abundant) and still cattle is raise on grain, not grass.
    I am quite excited that I´ve just found an expat paleo blogger who lives in Russia. It seems like grass-fed can also be found in that country. Expat Paleo: Food for Life -

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I live and work in Egypt and if your willing to look a bit deeper, Egypt can be pretty primal. But the normal Egyptian citizen is pretty hooked on sugar, bad oils and processed food. Fast food is becoming more and more common. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere and there is a Pizza Hut and KFC within 10 minutes drive.

But beyond that, you can buy raw milk, grass fed beef and lamb, free range chickens and lots of veggies and fruits. The only pork you can get is imported from Germany and pretty pricey.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    We found fantastic fresh chicken in the markets in Mexico, and buying roast pork sliced straight off the bbq for us. But the produce wasn't safe for consumption without being washed in a steriliser first. And while the tortillas were amazing they're certainly not primal

Thank you, for that. That was the feedback I was waiting for. Is Egypt dangerous right now?.
    I´ve also heard that meat in Egypt is expensive, but since the country is rather cheap I hope it is not unafordable.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mammal View Post
    Thank you, for that. That was the feedback I was waiting for. Is Egypt dangerous right now?.
    I´ve also heard that meat in Egypt is expensive, but since the country is rather cheap I hope it is not unafordable.
    Egypt can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. Fast-food prices are almost the same as the USA. If you go to one of the major markets and want only imported food, it is very expensive. But if your willing to get off the beaten path a bit, it gets cheap very quick.

I'm not far from Suez and I can buy a kilo of BBQ lamb there for about a 1/10th of what it would cost in the USA and it is excellent quality. The roadside fish markets are also very cheap.

Imported meat is expensive, the local stuff is not. At least not by US standards for grassfed meat.

Here is a link to Rougayah's Ranch which delivers to Cairo to certain locations, weekly.

Prices are in Egyptian pounds and the exchange rate right now is just under 7 EGP to the USD.

Prices - Rouqayah's Ranch, a different experience of Egypt
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast