Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 starting on Sept 1 page 2

raonxwxo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    I know about the scale. It is really tough. I'm on day 28. I will be continuing on to do a Whole 45, as I feel great. I know I've lost several pounds, so I'll report that in when I'm done with Day 30.

So, if you get discouraged, check out the blog on Whole 9 which has the Whole 30 Timeline. It will make you laugh and really relate. It's amazing how close that timeline was to my personal experience.

The best part of the Whole 30 for me has been that my ability to resist unhealthy foods has moved in this direction:
    Pre-Primal: Intense Willpower - almost impossible to resist bad foods for any length of time
    Primal: Ability to consistently and consciously make better choices - major chipping away at the bad pattern
    Whole 30: No desire to eat junk - healthy eating becomes second nature

I experienced a definite "light bulb" with the Whole 30, that I was not able to completely capture by going Primal. Being Primal beforehand, did however, make the Whole 30 10x easier, as I didn't have the difficult withdrawal symptoms that many people experience. Incredibly, the structure of Whole 30 is what seems to have given me ultimate freedom. Somewhat counter-intuitive, but that's how it worked - at least for me.

So keep on going! Continue to check in and be encouraged!
    Congratulations you could do better.
    Last edited by raonxwxo; 09-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Has has everyone's energy levels been on whole 30?

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Has has everyone's energy levels been on whole 30?
    I wake up in the morning alert and not groggy. I hum along nicely all day without any energy crashes. I tackle projects mid day and into the evening, whereas before if it wasn't done early on, I wouldn't start something new.

So, while I haven't experienced huge bursts of "tiger blood" there has definitely been an improvement in overall energy. If energy is lacking, make sure you're getting enough complex carbs in the form of sweet potatoes, squashes, etc. I do find if I'm running too low on those, I get sluggish.

I have a major hike planned for this Saturday, and I'm interested to see how that works out. I'll report in on my energy results.

Farfalla is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I didn't know there was a support thread for September. I'm in! I actually started on 2 September but got sidetracked by social live, ice-cream and chocolate.

Today I am starting for real, and with accountability, i.e. with detailed posts of what I've been eating. As regards physical activity, leisure and play, I have much room (but little time) to improve. This month is a bit crazy workwise but I will do what I can.

I will post my meals later, after dinner. And I should mention I may eat some parmesan from time to time - I eat so little dairy that it doesn't make much difference, I think. Oh, I looked at the rules again and found out that I shouldn't have used that splash of red wine for cooking today. Nevermind, I guess I am on a 95/5 version of Whole30, then.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    Oh, I didn't know there was a support thread for September. I'm in! I actually started on 2 September but got sidetracked by social live, ice-cream and chocolate.

Today I am starting for real, and with accountability, i.e. with detailed posts of what I've been eating. As regards physical activity, leisure and play, I have much room (but little time) to improve. This month is a bit crazy workwise but I will do what I can.

I will post my meals later, after dinner. And I should mention I may eat some parmesan from time to time - I eat so little dairy that it doesn't make much difference, I think. Oh, I looked at the rules again and found out that I shouldn't have used that splash of red wine for cooking today. Nevermind, I guess I am on a 95/5 version of Whole30, then.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you really should follow all the rules for the Whole30 program the first time around. If you slip up during the program theres no biggie. Just jump back on the horse. But, I wouldn't initially allow things into your regimen that they tell you to avoid. This will tell you if the program is really worth to you what it claims after the 30 days. Just food for thought. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you really should follow all the rules for the Whole30 program the first time around. If you slip up during the program theres no biggie. Just jump back on the horse. But, I wouldn't initially allow things into your regimen that they tell you to avoid. This will tell you if the program is really worth to you what it claims after theDthought. Good luck!
    Ditto.

Well, this must be my fifth Whole30. I was very strict the first time. I don't eat much dairy anyway because I can't tolerate it in great quantities, but it doesn't trigger any binges in me. When there is a dish that's really better with a couple of parmesan shavings, I might add them.

I've been eating too much rice and potatoes lately so the purpose of Whole30 this time is to emphasize vegetable side dishes.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    So far I have had great energy and no big cravings at all. I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been. I am also doing some practice with IF and that is going pretty good too. Today I am eating all my food in a 4 hr window, done by noon, and then nothing until tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see how my energy level is in the morning.

I agree it is best to stick to it. No cheating. I want so badly to do this right the first time and be able to see the results without knowing that I have cheats in there and wondering how my results would have been if I had stuck to it.

Good luck everyone! We can do it!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    So far I have had great energy and no big cravings at all. I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been. I am also doing some practice with IF and that is going pretty good too. Today I am eating all my food in a 4 hr window, done by noon, and then nothing until tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see how my energy level is in the morning.

I agree it is best to stick to it. No cheating. I want so badly to do this right the first time and be able to see the results without knowing that I have cheats in there and wondering how my results would have been if I had stuck to it.

Good luck everyone! We can do it!
    I'm a believer in IF, but, if you've read It Starts With Food, IF is definitely not part of their protocol, as they emphasize the stress on the body and the hormonal rhythms.

I think it's great to do a 30 Day Challenge, but Whole 30 is very specific. Once you are not following their protocol, you are not doing a Whole 30. Same with adding a bit of this or that (parm cheese, wine for cooking, etc.).

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to everyone on your Whole 30's or your 30 Day Challenges, or whatever! We can do it!

PrimalCon New York
    OK, I need to decide between being strict and renaming my challenge.

Today:
    breakfast - none, didn't feel hungry
    lunch - beef kidneys braised in wine with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and spices
    dinner - smoked pork knuckle (specifically the fatty rind) with braised kohlrabi; a small bown of raspberries and blueberries (I don't want to eat much fruit during Whole30 but these are in season and I don't want to miss them)

Activity:
    about 1.5 hours of walking

Leisure:
    I plan to spend 2 hours reading before falling asleep

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast