Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Law #4 Lift Heavy Things as Law #3 page

  1. #1
    Paul Haines's Avatar
    Paul Haines is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6

    Law #4 Lift Heavy Things as Law #3

    Shop Now
    I have this theory. As long as you can keep your heart rate at 55-75% you can do whatever you want.

    I love to work out. I have my 2-3 brief but intense lifting workouts and I sprint once in a while... BUT, in between those workouts, during my leisure time, I enjoy picking up heavy things and putting them down. I do this all frequently throughout my day. Squat, Front Squat, Deadlift, Dips, Pull-ups, hand standing push-ups, crawl. I tend to do this whenever and wherever (e.g. gym, home, outside) and will typically be around my circle of supporters while doing this "low-level aerobic activity". I visualize myself lifting heavy things all day everyday and I end up in some weight room lifting heavy things or lighter things practicing on my form while keeping my heart rate at 55-75%.

    My question 2 U: "Is picking up heavy things and putting them down while keeping your heart rate a 55-75% count for "low-aerobic activity" Law #3 move frequently at a slow pace?"

  2. #2
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Unless you're doing hundreds of reps with super light weight and doing them at an easy-peasy pace, I don't think you're really moving frequently at a slow pace with squats and deadlifts and whatnot.

  3. #3
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    If you do it for cardio benefit, the large body movements that speed up your heart rate will need to be done for a period exceeding 12-20 min to gain the aerobic benefit. Not that picking and lifting heavy things is harmful
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  4. #4
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Yeah, I don't think so. I do my lifting in a HIT capacity so I get the "sprint" sort of benefits along with the strength, since my heartrate probably hits around 500 bpm on a max effort deadlift and then I don't rest before doing max effort chins.... ect. I know I'm trading some strength for the metabolic aspect, but I'm ok with that. I don't see how you could lift with any intensity though and call it moving at a slow pace. In that regard you must not be pushing very hard at all.

  5. #5
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I don't think so. I do my lifting in a HIT capacity so I get the "sprint" sort of benefits along with the strength, since my heartrate probably hits around 500 bpm on a max effort deadlift and then I don't rest before doing max effort chins.... ect. I know I'm trading some strength for the metabolic aspect, but I'm ok with that. I don't see how you could lift with any intensity though and call it moving at a slow pace. In that regard you must not be pushing very hard at all.
    Did you really mean 500 or was that supposed to say 200?

  6. #6
    Paul Haines's Avatar
    Paul Haines is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you do it for cardio benefit, the large body movements that speed up your heart rate will need to be done for a period exceeding 12-20 min to gain the aerobic benefit. Not that picking and lifting heavy things is harmful
    Thank u for your response. So lets say I'm crawling around a football field for 20 or so minutes will that do?

  7. #7
    Paul Haines's Avatar
    Paul Haines is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Unless you're doing hundreds of reps with super light weight and doing them at an easy-peasy pace, I don't think you're really moving frequently at a slow pace with squats and deadlifts and whatnot.
    Yeah I'll be doing hundreds of reps with just the bar and some 10 pound bumper plates for example doing deadlifts, to power cleans, to clean n jerks. My intention is that this is counting for low level aerobic activity. I'll also do gymnastics but that is tuff to keep my heart rate down...

  8. #8
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    The more I think about it, the less I think you can do these things light enough to mimic true moving frequently at a slow pace. But I can't quantify or cite sources, just my gut feeling.

  9. #9
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Did you really mean 500 or was that supposed to say 200?
    I shoulda went with 5000 just to leave no doubt that I was exaggerating.

  10. #10
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I shoulda went with 5000 just to leave no doubt that I was exaggerating.
    They need to invent a separate font for sarcasm and one for exaggeration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •