Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressed page 6

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Try a primal version of the GAPS diet, your gut bacteria are more important than you know. The mood cure can help while you are on that path. It will take time but it will happen. I was emo most of my life. GAPS was really the only thing that's worked long term for me.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend EMDR, b-vitamin complex. And if you have sinus and allergy issues, ditch the wine and beer--yeast allergy, maybe? Also, alcohol depresses the central nervous system, but it can also cause anxiety as a rebound effect. Plus, its interaction w/other meds can be unpredictable. No coffee, no alcohol--but maybe no anxiety. Might be worth a try?

primaljen268 is offline Junior Member
    Don't discount therapy. I was plagued with issues my entire life. I found a phenomenal psychotherapist who has (slowly) been helping me understand what's at the root of all of it for me. It has changed my life.

You're not over it. If you were your body wouldn't be reacting as it is.

Not all therapists are bad as some have stated. I find those who make that claim have no personal experience with it and are projecting big time.

Best of luck.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    As far as finding a better way... I am trying. My life is chaos rht now partly for unrelated reasons beyond my control. I've just got to ride this next bit out somehow :/
    You've got lots of time. For years I'd get caught in the idea that I needed to "figure it out" by 30, then 35, then 40. I'm now 45 and realize that my whole life is about figuring it out.

As far as life partner, I'm going to say something a little un-PC (or something): you're an adorable gal. The universe may have given you a bad card with the car wreck, but it also gave you a great card with your looks. Play it. Boys are going to want to be with you, despite you're being batshit crazy

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primaljen268 View Post
    Don't discount therapy. I was plagued with issues my entire life. I found a phenomenal psychotherapist who has (slowly) been helping me understand what's at the root of all of it for me. It has changed my life.

You're not over it. If you were your body wouldn't be reacting as it is.

Not all therapists are bad as some have stated. I find those who make that claim have no personal experience with it and are projecting big time.

Best of luck.
    +1
    I met a therapist who was good for me, and now I wined a lot of freedom and wellbeing.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Give L-Theanine a shot.

L-Theanine

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Katharina is offline Member
    Without having read any of the other replies, here's my own experience with anxiety.
    I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since I was 13 (I am now 22), that made me drop out of school and I've only just been able to finally start my education 3 weeks ago.
    I always thought that I just had to get to the root of the problem, and my anxiety would go away forever.
    I've come to realize though, that that won't happen, and all I can do is manage symptoms for the rest of my life. This isn't as bad as it sounds.

Things that has helped me extremly much:
    Human contact (almost) everyday: Don't isolate yourself. I did it for years, and it only made matters worse. In the end, I forgot how to feel "normal" amongst people, and it only created more anxiety to get up and about.
    Watch out with sugar and fake sweeteners: This may not apply to you, but if I binge on non-primal foods, i often go for milk chocolate and coke. This is usually a bad move, as I feel more vulnerable emotionally the next few days to come, I'll cry much more easily and feel more stress for no apparent reason. So if you eat non-primal things, find things you love, but that doesn't affect you emotionally.
    Manage your stress: Meditate and do yoga. Everyday, if possible. Just for 30 minutes. This may seem like alot of time to invest every single day, but this is one of the best things you can do for yourself. In complete silence and with no interruptions, do a yogasession, some mindfullness and/or meditation.
    Take long walks: This is very calming. Listen to music, or think through things that doesn't bother you, when you think about them.
    The next one may not at all apply to your situation, but it did to mine (and still does): Come clean with people. Even if it happened years ago, try to have a conversation with them about how that particular situation you went through back then, affected you. I don't mean speaking to people that damaged you out of pure evil, but people that may or may not have known that they had an influence on you. Don't take this last advice to heart - it is extremly individual how people need to deal with situations or memories that gives them anxiety attacks.
    Lastly, you need to get in dialogue with a psychiatrist, or a district nurse that is under the supervision of a psychiatrist, and go to weekly or monthly conversations untill you have settled on the correct medicine and correct dosis. I was an opponent of medicine for a long time, and it took me years to find a medicine that helped me, without giving me sideeffects. Even after a while of taking this medicine, I had to stop, to see for myself what it really did. All of my anxiety came back within months after stopping, and I wen't back on a slightly smaller dose than I had been taking, before stopping temporarily. A few months later, my anxiety went away, and i contribute it to these things: Medicine, stress management and growing mentally and emotionally.

Also, go to bed an hour earlier than usual and read a good book. Read yourself to sleep.

I hope you'll feel better.

Katharina
    Last edited by Katharina; 09-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    You've got lots of time. For years I'd get caught in the idea that I needed to "figure it out" by 30, then 35, then 40. I'm now 45 and realize that my whole life is about figuring it out.

As far as life partner, I'm going to say something a little un-PC (or something): you're an adorable gal. The universe may have given you a bad card with the car wreck, but it also gave you a great card with your looks. Play it. Boys are going to want to be with you, despite you're being batshit crazy
    I am going to respond to all of the posts because they were all so amazing and supportive, but I'm getting ready to go out. I had to respond to this. One, thank you. Girls always love to hear that. And two... lmao! I am definitely bat shit crazy, hahaha. That was awesome. It put a giant smile on my face! So far it's driven all the guys away, but I'll find a tough one some day, thank you!!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    Without having read any of the other replies, here's my own experience with anxiety.
    I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since I was 13 (I am now 22), that made me drop out of school and I've only just been able to finally start my education 3 weeks ago.
    I always thought that I just had to get to the root of the problem, and my anxiety would go away forever.
    I've come to realize though, that that won't happen, and all I can do is manage symptoms for the rest of my life. This isn't as bad as it sounds.

Things that has helped me extremly much:
    Human contact (almost) everyday: Don't isolate yourself. I did it for years, and it only made matters worse. In the end, I forgot how to feel "normal" amongst people, and it only created more anxiety to get up and about.
    Watch out with sugar and fake sweeteners: This may not apply to you, but if I binge on non-primal foods, i often go for milk chocolate and coke. This is usually a bad move, as I feel more vulnerable emotionally the next few days to come, I'll cry much more easily and feel more stress for no apparent reason. So if you eat non-primal things, find things you love, but that doesn't affect you emotionally.
    Manage your stress: Meditate and do yoga. Everyday, if possible. Just for 30 minutes. This may seem like alot of time to invest every single day, but this is one of the best things you can do for yourself. In complete silence and with no interruptions, do a yogasession, some mindfullness and/or meditation.
    Take long walks: This is very calming. Listen to music, or think through things that doesn't bother you, when you think about them.
    The next one may not at all apply to your situation, but it did to mine (and still does): Come clean with people. Even if it happened years ago, try to have a conversation with them about how that particular situation you went through back then, affected you. I don't mean speaking to people that damaged you out of pure evil, but people that may or may not have known that they had an influence on you. Don't take this last advice to heart - it is extremly individual how people need to deal with situations or memories that gives them anxiety attacks.
    Lastly, you need to get in dialogue with a psychiatrist, or a district nurse that is under the supervision of a psychiatrist, and go to weekly or monthly conversations untill you have settled on the correct medicine and correct dosis. I was an opponent of medicine for a long time, and it took me years to find a medicine that helped me, without giving me sideeffects. Even after a while of taking this medicine, I had to stop, to see for myself what it really did. All of my anxiety came back within months after stopping, and I wen't back on a slightly smaller dose than I had been taking, before stopping temporarily. A few months later, my anxiety went away, and i contribute it to these things: Medicine, stress management and growing mentally and emotionally.

Also, go to bed an hour earlier than usual and read a good book. Read yourself to sleep.

I hope you'll feel better.

Katharina
    Thank you. I agree with your advice. I am definitely dragging my feet on getting therapy. I'm not hearing great things about the ones in town and I haven't found any that have hours outside the 9-5 range. I still need to find a way to go though. Human contact is key. I spent all weekend with friends and it was nice. It also made me appreciate coming home to be alone as well instead of being sad about coming to an empty apartment. I need sunshine and exercise and friends! The coming clean part doesn't really apply to me... I'm pretty much an open book. I don't lie very often and I try not to hurt anyone.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Jena, have you tried Cranial Sacral? It's really good for dealing with past trauma to the body. How it works? I have no idea. Does it work? Has worked for me on various things, yes. What's involved? Laying down and being touch at certain points on your body and a bit of a chat about what's going on. I'm having a session today. Google it, see what you think. I'm a convert.
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast