Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressed page 5

BenP is offline Member

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btownshreds View Post
    I thought the scientists were coming out more and more with research showing fish oil has no benefits....kinda bums me out if its true.
    I believe the study was specifically aimed at reducing heart disease. One study.

Our brains are 60% fat; including up to 20% is DHA in the cerebral cortex. DHA/EPA are very important to our brain health and eye health (retina is maybe 60% DHA). I am certain high dose EPA/DHA helped my toddler with language development after he regressed onto the Autism Spectrum Disorder at 18 months. No doubt in my mind. These are called Essential Fatty Acids for a reason. There are a few epidemiological studies showing the lowest rate of depression in the parts of the world with the highest fish consumption; and inversely the highest rates in the parts of the world with little fish consumption and high Omega 6 diets. Not proof, but certainly part of a compelling argument for eating clean fish.

I do think we need to be careful about our sourcing of fish oils, though. High quality oils and use them up quickly so they have less chance of becoming oxidized or rancid (which is why they add the Vitamin E). Better yet, eating a lot of wild caught salmon!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    I'm not sure if I ever had sleep apnea, but I snore and grind my teeth. I got this mouth piece that pulls my lower jaw forward slightly and no more snoring... unless I'm sick. Pulling the lower jaw forward opens the throat. It's worth a shot at least
    My husband uses this! For me, no more partner snoring so loudly absolutely helped my depression. Sleep is critical. For him, it is purely a structural issue. Chin collapses into this throat when he relaxes. No depression for my man, though. Mr. Happy.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    I do benefit from the drugs. I wish I didn't need them, but right now I do. Despite how I may sound on here I am a positive person. When the anxiety attacks came back suddenly was one of the happiest times in the recent past. And BAM! Out of seemingly nowhere they were back. They started a year or two after recovering from a very traumatic car accident. I was hit by a drunk driver and fractured my C1, C2, and C3. Shattered my ankle and literally had my forehead peeled off of my skull. I spent a month at the hospital and another couple laid up at home. Dozens of surgeries, hell basically. When I had to resume some surgeries a couple years later is when the anxiety began. That was such a long time ago, I was only 19, and I have gotten over it physically and mentally, and that's all I can really do. But now the anxiety can creep up a while after a stressful time passes. Or if I don't sleep well, or plenty of other things. Thank you for defending those of us that take medication. It does not mean I'm weak or negative. It means that I have been unable to stop this without the meds. I really appreciate your responses.
    Have you had an MRI? Head injury can leave hard to find damage that could be part of the problem.

I know this isn't a miracle cure, but try upping the fish oil to 2g/day. To save money, buy the liquid and force yourself to take it off of the spoon. Or eat clean salmon a lot if you can afford it. It won't harm you, and it could be a beneficial 6 month experiment?

Don't give up on relationships just yet. It might not be going by your original plan, but happiness comes in many shapes and sizes! Hell, I'm settling for contentment now. I also had to readjust my idea of what happiness was... it isn't being that gleeful person that everyone flocks to when they enter a room. It is an inner feeling of peace. I won't be the center of attention and you know what? I'd hate it anyway!

If you have extra cash floating around (hah), you might want to explore Hormone Testing adrenal cortisol dhea E2 Pg T DS Cx4 Thyroid TPO TSH T3 T4 Vitamin D IGF-1 PSA prostate They have some neurotransmitter saliva tests, I believe. I have done their cortisol test before and it was pretty accurate if you base it on the fact a second one done by a naturopath revealed the same results. Homeopathy is another path that many find helpful. I haven't spent much time figuring that one out.

I wish you tons of success!

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Fish oil never did anything for me, but amino acids ala. The Mood Cure's protocol got me off SSRI's and now I'm not on anything.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkeePhoenix View Post
    I'm going to get on my soapbox here...just a little bit. Do you believe that people are spiritual beings? That they have a life and consciousness beyond the physical body? If you do, stop and think... The chemicals in your brain can not CAUSE your mood... They are generated by your mood.
    Hear, hear. We live in a computer age and that's influenced how we think about the human condition -- you're brain's an organic computer, we're programmed by selfish genes, it's all chemistry,etc...

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Sorry - but you are just wrong. I get really sick of people thinking that clinical depression is a form of sadness or dissatisfaction with life. Biochemical depression and anxiety are soul-crushing and don't give a rats behind if your life is perfect or hell.
    The problem is that we have a false choice. Our culture still stigmatizes depression, anxiety and such. People suffering from such are told to "get over it" or "stop thinking so much" or are called lazy or self-pitying.

So doctors come along and say "see here, it's a chemical thing, they can't help it". And that provides the suffering person some justification for their state.

The problem is that neither of these is correct. Neurotic people are a product of their environment, their family, their society. They're not choosing to be depressed or anxious. Chemical/clinical explanations are soothing because that means we don't have to look inside or at our family or at society. And of course they're profitable.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    My diet is okay. I eat a lot of meat and veggies. I eat fruit sometimes. And about once a week I'll have a bad item. Tacos, pizza, ice cream... something like that. I eat cheese, no milk, Greek yogurt (plain with strawberry purée), eggs. I buy lunch out most days during the week. I work in a lab and we walk to the neighboring hospital to eat lunch. Sometimes I will be weak and get something bad, but I usually have a chicken salad, sometimes white rice (which I'm not opposed to eating weekly anyway). I have coffee for breakfast with cream and Splenda. I get it at McDonalds. I want to switch to making decaf (to lessen the anxiety) at home with coconut oil. And maybe some kind of sweetener. For dinner I have meat and vegetables. Usually a fattier selection, chicken thighs with skin, ribeye, 80/20 ground beef, salmon (not so much lately... I need to get back to it) I tried to eat sardines... I just can't do it. The veggies are pretty boring. Sliced cucumbers, brocolli, sautéed kale or spinach, zucchini. I don't drink pop, I mostly just drink plain iced tea and water. I drink wine, red and white, and beer sometimes. I almost never drink liquor, maybe the occasional margarita. In addition to the Zoloft and Wellbutrin I take Allegra and suddaphed (I have terrible allergies). That's pretty much the extent of my diet. Goal: stop using artificial sweetener. My gut health is probably shot. I have taken a lot of antibiotics! I used to get sick a lot when I was a child, and now I get multiple sinus infections. I try to fight them withouth the antibiotics, but they just come back. I probably should see an ent. I use a netti pot, which helps, but I'm guessing there is something structurally wrong with my nose. I don't get any other kinds of infections, my immune system is pretty good according to my bloodwork. I don't know, now I just getting more overwhelmed thinking about everything, lol. I do notice that at work the anxiety gets worse throughout the day peaking around 3:00-3:30 and slowly tapering off and I'm usually okay by the time I get home. This is not including the acute panicking during the day. Anyway that's about it... for those who asked. Thanks for asking, btw... "talking" about it helps and I don't have too many people to talk to right now. And ZERO that can be objective.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The problem is that we have a false choice. Our culture still stigmatizes depression, anxiety and such. People suffering from such are told to "get over it" or "stop thinking so much" or are called lazy or self-pitying.

So doctors come along and say "see here, it's a chemical thing, they can't help it". And that provides the suffering person some justification for their state.

The problem is that neither of these is correct. Neurotic people are a product of their environment, their family, their society. They're not choosing to be depressed or anxious. Chemical/clinical explanations are soothing because that means we don't have to look inside or at our family or at society. And of course they're profitable.
    I agree completely. And I am neurotic, even on a good day. I've always been a worrier, someone that is easy to stress. I am also someone that will never give up though. I definitely don't want to be on these meds and I know there is a better way. I am not sure they are even working, I was so anxious at work today that I practically bit a hole in the side of my cheek. I'm going to give it more time though. As far as finding a better way... I am trying. My life is chaos right now partly for unrelated reasons beyond my control. I've just got to ride this next bit out somehow :/
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

OkeePhoenix is offline Junior Member
    Your life, obviously has been filled with trauma, both physical and emotional. Your need for support certainly does not indicate weakness, in fact your recognition of your need and your search for help is actually a sign of strength. Remember, however, that your greatest source of strength will always be within... We all falter and fall short of what we could do if we were the "perfect" human, but the strength of the human spirit will always be the greatest source of healing power. Take help where needed, but the help provided by drugs and even our loved ones is, at best, temporary. Only your own spirit can provide permanent healing. Be strong, be faithful, be compassionate, these things will bring healing into your life. Don't give up on your meditation, it's the key to understanding your mind and your spirit. Read "Make Your Mind an Ocean" by Llama Yeshe.... Readily available. Read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.... Change the way you think..... And you will change EVERYTHING.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring....

Florida, USA.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast