Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressed page 3

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Hey Jena, just wanted to say that you're doing a great job. I was on a cocktail of drugs (SSRIs and similar pills) for most of my life, and two things I never could have done were talk about it on an open forum and care about my health enough to go primal -- so believe me when I say that you impress the hell out of me.

In your journal you said that you're eating for health right now, which is something that I want to applaud you for. Healing yourself can be hard enough on the body and mind as it is, and the last thing that you need on top of that is a restrictive diet (not to mention that you look damn fine in your pictures).

You mentioned that you might be able to switch docs in a few months to a better one. I wish you the best of luck in that, as I know there can be some really crappy ones out there who just like to slap drugs on it to make the problem go away. It could be worth consulting with your doctor (current or future) about going off the meds -- as long as you consult with your doctor. It's possible that the pills are a contributing factor to the depression - SSRIs and their kin can be really scary things. Although it may seem odd to view it in this light, I think it's a positive that you went on the meds for something that was the result of an incident, and not for a birth condition. Sometimes you just need time to heal, and just because the meds were necessary then doesn't mean that are now.

In conclusion, I really want to give you a hug right now, but my computer won't let me do that. So have some cute animals.

Attachment 12810
    Attachment 12811
    Attachment 12812
    Made my day sweetheart. Thanks.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    I went through a lot of anxiety when I was dealing with the end of my first marriage. One key thing I noticed was that caffeine was a major trigger for me. If I had caffeine, then I'd tend to get much more nervous and anxious about things than when I didn't. I also would take kava kava if I was feeling particularly anxious, and that tended to help greatly.

Getting sleep is one of the most important things you can do. Sleep deprivation will make any kind of depression or mood problems way worse. Sleeping pills can help if you're really desperate to sleep, but it's the natural unmedicated type of sleep that's going to really help the most.
    Caffeine is definitely a trigger for my anxiety! I try to try to avoid it. But I do love my coffee.

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Jena, how are thing going for you?
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulrunner View Post
    Jena, how are thing going for you?
    I'm hanging in there. I went to the doctor and she upped my dose of Zoloft and added Wellbutrin. I'm not thrilled about being on more medication, but I can't seem to get past the anxiety. Everyday is a struggle at work to keep the panic attacks under control. Which is a shame because I enjoy my job and love the people I work with. I'm just trying to be grateful for the good things in my life. I'm struggling to let go of past people and mistakes. But I'll get there... I hope. I've been doing better about what I eat and getting some exercise so I'm hoping that will begin to help my outlook soon. Thank you for asking

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I got myself off of Effexor (SNRI) back in 2004 by taking high doses of EPA (fish oil). I mean grams per day for 6 months before I weaned myself off of the drug. I never had an issue with the older classes of antidepressants and withdrawal, but Effexor was hell to stop. I feel better off of the meds than I felt on them for the 17 years I messed around with trying to find the right one. I think at one point they helped, but I never really got the feeling they were working like they were supposed to work plus I found them horribly constipating. I doubt my success is 100% attributable to the fish oil (I am also older and in a more stable part of my life and I got control of an eating disorder).

Try looking at the work of Andrew Stoll from Harvard and fish oil. He used it successfully to treat bipolar disorder.

No sugar is huge for my moods. I have not had episodes as deep as you describe, but I have lived with a low-moderate level of depression and anxiety for as long as I can recall. I am now 48, and trying to stay sugar free for the past 6 months. It is very tough. Eat healthy fats.

Exercise saved my life. Cycling in college up until I had my children. After that, more like cross fit. At times I've used it to excess, but it sure helps my mood.

You could also investigate Histamine Intolerance. I used to live on parmesan and other hard cheeses which are super high in histamines. I swear I have had few to no rapid heart rate episodes since I've stopped eating parmesan cheese. Anxiety is apparently one of the possible symptoms.

I am sorry for how you are feeling. I hope you can find some answers that work for you. Meds or no meds. A combination of meds and diet and exercise. The power of positive thought. The power of prayer. Whatever works for you!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Thank you Phaselow. I do take fish oil in small doses, I will have to try upping it. I did successfully stop taking Zoloft about a year ago, the withdrawal was terrible, but I felt great. Then the anxiety came back about 6 months later. Being off of the Zoloft was great once I adjusted. I am stuck right now. The next few months are going to be difficult. There is a lot of uncertainty right now, so depending how I feel after all this stuff settles I may think about going off the meds. I can deal with the depression. I can force myself to do things and pull myself out of it usually, but it is definitely harder this time. The anxiety is what is getting to me. I get so anxious at work that I feel like I'm going to have a seizure or a stroke or something. I know in my head I won't I have had different tests repeatedly for 10 plus years and I am healthy physically. I am now using my breaks at work to take a 15 minute walk and I walk to lunch, take the stairs, etc... I know it's small, but it's an improvement. I used to work out after work, but I am so tired after fighting anxiety at work all day that its all I can do to keep my eyes open when I get home. I know I have to force myself and I'm trying. I get really sad and lonely, but I also don't want to be around my friends. I miss my ex and am pretty certain I will never find anyone that can stand me and my mood swings. I'm 33 and have given up on having a marriage, children, even a successful relationship. I need to find a way to be happy without any of these things. I just feel like I get knocked down at every turn. Yeah, I know boo hoo. I don't feel sorry for myself. Nearly all of my troubles I've earned, but I've been paying for mistakes for a decade, literally and emotionally. I'm tired.

btownshreds is offline Senior Member
    I thought the scientists were coming out more and more with research showing fish oil has no benefits....kinda bums me out if its true.
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

OkeePhoenix is offline Junior Member
    I'm going to get on my soapbox here...just a little bit. Do you believe that people are spiritual beings? That they have a life and consciousness beyond the physical body? If you do, stop and think... The chemicals in your brain can not CAUSE your mood... They are generated by your mood. If your consciousness is not reliant on your body for it's existence, then the drugs can't change your mood... They can only approximate the conditions that result from a change in your mood. To change your life, your mood, you must execute a shift in your consciousness. The change in brain chemistry will naturally follow. Your brain chemistry does NOT cause your moods, but is caused by them. They false sense of well being brought on by pharmaceuticals is a trap set by drug companies and "mental health" professionals to milk you and your insurance plan out of your money. Yes... There are people that do benefit from them, but very few are actually ill enough to NEED them... But relying on them rather than understanding the true cause of your anxiety and dealing with THAT will make you ill enough to need them! Don't fall into the trap.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring....

Florida, USA.

Diego is offline Junior Member
    I have sleep apnea and I've had anxiety for a couple of weeks about falling asleep with fear that I can't breathe. It's horrible and I'm not getting any sleep. Anybody else deals with sleep apnea? I don't want to use the cpap mask. I imagine grok never had sleep apnea.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkeePhoenix View Post
    I'm going to get on my soapbox here...just a little bit. Do you believe that people are spiritual beings? That they have a life and consciousness beyond the physical body? If you do, stop and think... The chemicals in your brain can not CAUSE your mood... They are generated by your mood. If your consciousness is not reliant on your body for it's existence, then the drugs can't change your mood... They can only approximate the conditions that result from a change in your mood. To change your life, your mood, you must execute a shift in your consciousness. The change in brain chemistry will naturally follow. Your brain chemistry does NOT cause your moods, but is caused by them. They false sense of well being brought on by pharmaceuticals is a trap set by drug companies and "mental health" professionals to milk you and your insurance plan out of your money. Yes... There are people that do benefit from them, but very few are actually ill enough to NEED them... But relying on them rather than understanding the true cause of your anxiety and dealing with THAT will make you ill enough to need them! Don't fall into the trap.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring....

Florida, USA.
    Sorry - but you are just wrong. I get really sick of people thinking that clinical depression is a form of sadness or dissatisfaction with life. Biochemical depression and anxiety are soul-crushing and don't give a rats behind if your life is perfect or hell.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast