Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Depressed page 13

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I shouldn't have said that I "am" these things. I am not, I have been acting selfish, childish, victimized, etc... I am not these things. There is much more to me than any of that. I suppose I don't have to accept that I am neurotic, I am emotional, and sensitive, but I suppose it's not always a bad thing. I have really opened my eyes to a lot of things lately and realize that there is so much that I don't worry about and prepare for that I should... and vice-versa. I am thinking more clearly than I have in a while. There is something bothering me A LOT right now, but there is nothing I can do but wait. Normally I'd be freaking out, but I'm just trying to keep calm and hope for the best for the person involved. Sometimes knowledge is power, sometimes it's torture.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    I suppose I don't have to accept that I am neurotic, I am emotional, and sensitive ...
    No, indeed. And thinking that way can reinforce any tendencies that exist. I'd not discount the value of "positive self-talk". I think even some rather kooky-sounding techniques like recording positive affirmations and playing them back into your ears while you're going about your morning tasks can help people. That kind of thing here, for example -- and cheap enough as a paperback 2nd hand:

What to Say When You Talk to Yourself: Shad Helmstetter: 9780722525111: Amazon.com: Books

To be frank, I think both psychoanalysis and pharmaceuticals as mood-treatments represent the "gods that failed". So why not some form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (what self-talk is basically a form of) since those techniques do actually seem to work?

There was a gifted doctor -- a Frenchman with a international reputation who worked for Medecins Sans Frontieres -- who wrote a book called, amusingly enough, Healing without Freud or Prozac:

Healing without Freud or Prozac: Natural Approaches to Curing Stress, Anxiety and Depression without Drugs and without Psychoanalysis: David Servan-Schreiber: 9781405077583: Amazon.com: Books

As far as dietary intervention goes, I'd take a look at Julia Ross's stuff. She has two books: The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure. Both have websites:

Julia Ross' THE MOOD CURE

Julia Ross' THE DIET CURE

She seems to get results. I've heard her speaking on podcasts in the paleo/primal/ancestral health/real food movement, and she says that she has success turning around even people with quite severe mental, emotional, or even drug and alcohol, problems. Methods her clinic was using before -- psychotherapy and drug-therapy -- had a vanishingly small success rate. But the dietary approach, she says, really does work for many people.

Sean Croxton -- a really nice and knowledgable podcast host -- also has some good interviews with the lady. Try googling:

underground wellness julia ross

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is quite a wealth of information! I will check it out for sure. I am working very hard at changing my thought patterns. I had to take a very long hard look in the mirror recently and I didn't like it. But I am changing it. A friend suggested a workout routine and I am doing it. I have let go of a lot of pain from my past, and I am actually excited about the future... and scared, but I realize that it's okay to be a little scared. It's just fear, it's just uncomfortable and it won't hurt me. Being comfortable through repetitive old patterns and being too comfortable will certainly hurt me. I can't change over night, but I can grow a little each day. I'm feeling more confident, more at peace, and more powerful.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    Wow, that is quite a wealth of information! I will check it out for sure. I am working very hard at changing my thought patterns.
    Yeah, there's actually a pretty long tradition behind that.

I think Dr. David Servan-Schreiber's point is essentially that even if "the talking cure" (i.e. Freud) could identify what was at the root of someone's problems, understanding in itself would never be enough. In truth, I think a lot of psychoanalysis is so much pseudo-science, mumbo-jumbo ... but even if it weren't ... simply understanding what the problem does not in itself deal with it, because these things lie deeper. Servan-Schreiber has an interesting and persuasive analysis of the problem. It's a long time since I read the book, but IIRC, he says there's some evidence that therapies like tapping and eye-movement desensitisation can work -- getting the patient to talk about their fears while some of these "physical" manipulations are going on can, strangely enough, sometimes "reset" the fear. The podcaster I mentioned -- Sean Croxton -- also has a podcast where he mentions a woman who killed a fear he had stone-dead by "tapping" him while talking to him about it. Servan-Schrieber was also researching, and experimenting with, omega-3 supplementation a long time ago, and seeing results. That's good as far as it goes, but I think dietary intervention has got more sophisticated and wide-ranging since then.

Anyway, to return to "changing thought patterns" -- as I say, this goes right back. There's a cross-over with meditational techniques here. By "just sitting" the idea is that you can, as it were, slow things down, and then see, and acknowledge, thoughts as they arise. The idea is that you don't stay with the thought, but nor do you try to violently oppose it, you just gently let it go. But anyone can do the same kind of thing when not actually meditating -- that's to say, when a thought that you believe to be unhealthy pops its head up, you can just quietly acknowledge it, but choose not to follow it.

There's a lot of "Eastern" stuff on this, but you don't, of course, need to go to the Buddhists or whoever for this. If you're a Christian, and even if you're not, someone like Jean-Pierre de Caussade might be interesting and helpful. Some little selection like this, if you can pick it up second-hand:

Flame of Divine Love: Daily Readings (Enfolded in Love): Jean-Pierre De Caussade, Robert Llewelyn: 9780232516234: Amazon.com: Books

Caussade speaks of letting thoughts go as you might drop a stone into water. It's a beautiful metaphor. I think there's a Buddhist metaphor of boats passing under a bridge -- you see the boats as they pass, but you don't have to follow them.

I'm not particularly good at this myself, but it does seem to have been working for people for a very long time.

I had to take a very long hard look in the mirror recently and I didn't like it. But I am changing it. A friend suggested a workout routine and I am doing it. I have let go of a lot of pain from my past, and I am actually excited about the future... and scared, but I realize that it's okay to be a little scared. It's just fear, it's just uncomfortable and it won't hurt me. Being comfortable through repetitive old patterns and being too comfortable will certainly hurt me. I can't change over night, but I can grow a little each day. I'm feeling more confident, more at peace, and more powerful.
    It all sounds very hopeful to me. And you're both younger than me and a lot prettier so I'm sure your future will be something to look forward to.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Mushrooms and LSD change thought patterns in like 4 hours. Permanently shut down old neural pathways and forge new ones based on realizations made while tripping. That's way fuckin preferable to tedious research and thinking that only touches the upper and rational layers of your brain.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm not particularly good at this myself, but it does seem to have been working for people for a very long time.
    Yeah, it's tough. I'm still exploring this stuff. I'm now looking into walking meditation. I walk a lot anyways and sitting still has never been my strong-suit (ironically this is why I need meditation).

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Mushrooms and LSD change thought patterns in like 4 hours. Permanently shut down old neural pathways and forge new ones based on realizations made while tripping. That's way fuckin preferable to tedious research and thinking that only touches the upper and rational layers of your brain.
    I've heard that it's not wise to trip w/ these substances unless you are pretty well adjusted, otherwise it can go badly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I suppose it takes a certain spiritual/psychological constitution, but "well-adjusted?" I was an asshole, loaded entirely with multi-generational terrible habits- an entirely toxic memetic inheritance. Tripping is what adjusted me.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Yeah I suppose it takes a certain spiritual/psychological constitution, but "well-adjusted?" I was an asshole, loaded entirely with multi-generational terrible habits- an entirely toxic memetic inheritance. Tripping is what adjusted me.
    I guess I wonder what constitution could take it well then. My bro-in-law claims that shroom and/or LSD trips were better for him than therapy ever was and that he's doing well or something, but the dude does not have his life together in the least and every time he gets drunk he rehashes the same old things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213