Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs a day do you have? page 21

biko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    These pics are mostly flexing shots?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Late to this thread, but FWIW I eat 250+g on training days, 100-150g on rest days. Sweet potatoes, apples, white rice, bananas, and occasional white sugar in tea or homemade desserts; I don't eat a ton of fruit because I find it can give me a bubbly tummy. The bulk of my carbs is from starch. I cook for myself (100% of the time now because of this histamine thing), I keep strict gluten/wheat-free, and I don't do well with dairy so I avoid it 90% of the time. So I guess you could call me "clean paleo", except for the rice and the general higher carb count.

I did LCHF for years; it definitely helped me lean out a little, but I plateau'd a good 20-30lb above where I wanted to be. Then when I started getting serious about training a year ago, it became clear really quickly that LCHF was not going to work for me. I added carbs back in to about 75g a day, and did better; then I did Shangri-La for about 6 months and lost 20 pounds of pure fat while maintaining strength. Definitely couldn't have done that without the carbs.

It wasn't until the past few months when I started following the Eat to Perform method that my workouts really started achieving liftoff and my strength went back to gains instead of maintenance. I should give credit where credit is due, and mention that when I first got into lifting and thought about maybe eating some carbs a year and a half ago, Choco helped me out a lot with macros and lifting schedules. So thanks, Choco.

Since I started E2P (which, since I train early AM, is essentially carb backloading), my lifts and conditioning have both gone through the roof (except my poor injured squats, but that's another story), and I've gained 7 pounds while losing 2 inches off my waist. I'm a 28yo female. I'm recomping like crazy right now and it's all thanks to carbs.

Here is my opinion, FWIW: when you are metabolically deranged, by going primal low carb, you remove a ton of crap pseudo-foods and decrease your inflammation overall. After a period like this, there is no need to continue low carb high fat if you don't want to.
    Boom. This is exactly what I think. I've been Primal five years. The first four healed my gut and metabolism. Once they were healed, I was able to start eating to fuel my workouts, and my body could handle it. I still consider myself Primal, even though I eat white rice. I don't really care if anyone disagrees. I bet I can clean & jerk more than them anyway.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I bet I can clean & jerk more than them anyway.
    As a full time cleaner and chronic masturbator, I don't think you can

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Late to this thread, but FWIW I eat 250+g on training days, 100-150g on rest days. Sweet potatoes, apples, white rice, bananas, and occasional white sugar in tea or homemade desserts; I don't eat a ton of fruit because I find it can give me a bubbly tummy. The bulk of my carbs is from starch. I cook for myself (100% of the time now because of this histamine thing), I keep strict gluten/wheat-free, and I don't do well with dairy so I avoid it 90% of the time. So I guess you could call me "clean paleo", except for the rice and the general higher carb count.

I did LCHF for years; it definitely helped me lean out a little, but I plateau'd a good 20-30lb above where I wanted to be. Then when I started getting serious about training a year ago, it became clear really quickly that LCHF was not going to work for me. I added carbs back in to about 75g a day, and did better; then I did Shangri-La for about 6 months and lost 20 pounds of pure fat while maintaining strength. Definitely couldn't have done that without the carbs.

It wasn't until the past few months when I started following the Eat to Perform method that my workouts really started achieving liftoff and my strength went back to gains instead of maintenance. I should give credit where credit is due, and mention that when I first got into lifting and thought about maybe eating some carbs a year and a half ago, Choco helped me out a lot with macros and lifting schedules. So thanks, Choco.

Since I started E2P (which, since I train early AM, is essentially carb backloading), my lifts and conditioning have both gone through the roof (except my poor injured squats, but that's another story), and I've gained 7 pounds while losing 2 inches off my waist. I'm a 28yo female. I'm recomping like crazy right now and it's all thanks to carbs.

Boom. This is exactly what I think. I've been Primal five years. The first four healed my gut and metabolism. Once they were healed, I was able to start eating to fuel my workouts, and my body could handle it. I still consider myself Primal, even though I eat white rice. I don't really care if anyone disagrees. I bet I can clean & jerk more than them anyway.
    Nice! I'm in the same boat, but 45 old male. I started recently with a lean gains style approach, lower carb and cal on rest days, higher on training days. The fat is falling off, should be sub 10%bf in 6-8 weeks. 2 years ago I was 45 lbs heavier, and lost plenty with a paleo/primal low carb approach. Higher carb works for me now I lift heavy 3 times a week. It's wonderful really.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Just an answer, no advice. I average about 70 grams of carbs per day. My main source is white rice.

Some links from Mark:

Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple - which shows a 2500 calorie day with about 55% of the calories from fat, 23% from protein, 17% from carbs, and 5% from alcohol.

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple - this is a good place to start also. At the very beginning of the post is a link to "context of calories," which might also provide some insight.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    By the way, the tide seems to be turning against ketosis. What do you guys think of this research which found that very low triglycerides may anticipate autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's and rheumatoid arthritis? It was done in Italy so most people in the States ignored it. But they found very low trigs to be a biomarker of imminent autoimmunity.

Low fasting serum triglyceride level as a precocio... [MedGenMed. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Which all makes sense to me, given how many people have their FT3 lowered upon being on a ketogenic diet. Go on it long enough and you move onto euthyroid/subclinical hypothyroidism and if you're genetically vulnerable, your TPO and TG antibodies turn positive for Hashimoto's. Then you move onto other autoimmune conditions, as autoimmunity typically comes in a cluster. Joint-related autoimmune issues come most frequently with Hashimoto's but some other conditions may piggyback.

I've long suspected this link: you stress your metabolism enough and if you have intestinal permeability -- which everyone does to some degree -- then the tipping point comes and all of a sudden you become seropositive and the symptoms show up. Now there actually seems to be a scientific basis for this. Caution here: none of the research subjects were on a ketogenic diet. So the collective low trigs they experienced seem to be an epiphenomenon and what sparks autoimmunity seems to be the lowered triglycerides themselves, not the conditions that preceded the lowering. If you're discerning enough to understand the difference, perhaps then you will realize that there probably is a J curve with regard to triglycerides, just like LDL below 50 signals problem with immune functions.

I hear Jimmy Moore and his pals in deep ketosis high-fiving each other saying their trigs are down to the 30s or even 20s now. In his latest cholesterol book, he rambles on about how low triglycerides are the best biomarker of CVD health. Up to a certain level. 50-100 is probably optimal. But not under 50. Btw, where is Sam Knox when we need him? You're all so unethical!
    This kinda sorta has me worried. On VLC, I had trigs in the 50-60 range. Now with moderate carb intake, and lower fat, I logged triglycerides of 12(couple weeks ago)! Though, I did get a best A1c ever of 5.0 even with up to 200g carb/day! (down from 9.9!)

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    As a full time cleaner and chronic masturbator, I don't think you can
    Who ISN'T a chronic masturbator? Just sayin'...

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Who ISN'T a chronic masturbator? Just sayin'...
    Someone with clearly more self control than you and I!

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Someone with clearly more self control than you and I!
    The control comes (pardon the pun) from only doing it 4 times a day when ypu could have managed a 5th

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Dude, you gotta see someone if your trigs are that low. Jimmy Moore's lowest trigs were 22 during his Atkins induction phase. It's hard to believe what you say but you don't think there is a J curve with regard to trigs? Do you think the closer you are to zero the better? Remember, LDL serves a function. So do trigs and VLDL is usually estimated as 1/5th of trigs. There isn't much literature on hypotriglyceridemia, but I would be careful if I were you. And it doesn't matter how you achieved 12, via ketosis or high carb Paleo. I would be very cautious.

A1c=5.0 at 200 net carbs is doable if you are a big guy and eat lots of fiber. Your fasting C-Peptide is probably higher than 1.5, though. Remember, when you go ketogenic, there could be physiological insulin resistance. So while you get rid of the peaks, your fasting BG is a bit higher into the mid 90s or so. When you do higher-carb Paleo like say 80-150 grams, you could actually have better A1c's especially if you restrict your carbs per meal judiciously. It basically becomes a wash. So if you're not a severe T2 diabetic, there really is no need to do a Bernstein style ketogenic diet.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    This kinda sorta has me worried. On VLC, I had trigs in the 50-60 range. Now with moderate carb intake, and lower fat, I logged triglycerides of 12(couple weeks ago)! Though, I did get a best A1c ever of 5.0 even with up to 200g carb/day! (down from 9.9!)
    Last edited by choppedliver; 09-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast