Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakfast...yes? page

BigBipper is offline Member

Breakfast...yes?

Many days I find I just not hungry enough to eat in the morning. I have a sedentary job and rather eat lunch first. Some mornings I am hungry and I eat, but I'm afraid I am just consuming calories because a clock is telling me to.

But, is breakfast still the most important meal of the day? Does that 1950's slogan still apply?
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    It comes down to personal preference. There's nothing magical about eating breakfast, and there's nothing magical about skipping it.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

BigBipper is offline Member
    Ok, I thought maybe I was doing a disservice to my day by foregoing the first meal.
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

hedwards is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    Ok, I thought maybe I was doing a disservice to my day by foregoing the first meal.
    Prior to my current experimentation with Intermittent Fasting, I had the same belief. But, for me, I feel better when I go without breakfast.

Well, I guess technically that first meal is break fast, but that's rather pedantic.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You cannot avoid breakfast. Of COURSE it is the most important meal of the day. It is when you break your fast.

Iwami is offline Junior Member
    recently I noticed that I tend to eat more on days where I have breakfast, like breaking the seal kind of mentality. When I wait and have an early lunch instead, I seem to eat less and don't have nagging feeling to snack and eat between meals. I am not sure if it is all a mental thing or there is some kind of science behind it, but there you have it. (It's probably mental... I have a lot of deprogramming to do :P)

slatesekx is offline Junior Member
    It comes down to personal preference.
    Last edited by slatesekx; 08-29-2013 at 02:46 AM.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwami View Post
    recently I noticed that I tend to eat more on days where I have breakfast, like breaking the seal kind of mentality. When I wait and have an early lunch instead, I seem to eat less and don't have nagging feeling to snack and eat between meals. I am not sure if it is all a mental thing or there is some kind of science behind it, but there you have it. (It's probably mental... I have a lot of deprogramming to do :P)
    I seem to remember that I read something about it, eitehr at gnolls.org or caloriesproper.com or some other geekish site. What I remember is that eating breakfast first thing in the morning has on average the effect you describe. I don't think every one will experience the same, but that is what the study referenced on the blog was concluding.

As a French, I am not good at breakfast, actually the whole country has little breakfast culture. It's only a recent thing that kids have cereals, or even ham and cheese slices to imitate our German neighbors. The day kids eat beans and fried eggs, I will know France has been re-conquered 100% by the Brits

When I was a kid, my brakfast was : a bowl of tea or café-au-lait, and some piece of bread with butter or a croissant. That was not much at all, and we had a real lunch, with a 2 hour break ... As a grown-up, I had black coffee and a croissant or 2 until I went wheat free and just kept the coffee. I feel no hunger until 2 or 3pm, in which case I will eat either some beef jerky, slice of cheese, a couple of green bananas for the resistant starch basically, some pumpkin seeds (I love that stuff!) and sea salt. That keeps me going until dinner where I have a real big meal. I think it is very similar to something called the Warrior Diet.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I eat a small breakfast when I'm hungry. If it's not real hunger, a cup of coffee takes care of the hunger pangs. If I still feel hungry, I just eat something small to tide me over till lunch. It's different every day.. I just go with it.

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying Intermittent Fasting at the moment (on my 6th day) so I'm not eating in the morning and my first meal is at the lunchtime around 1.30 pm.
    But normally on my weekday I would have a very light breakfast anyway - some yoghurt with berries and cup of green tea or coffee. Before primal I used to stuff myself silly on fruit for breakfast :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast