Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast...yes? page 2

piggy is online now Member
    Primal Fuel
    I make breakfast every day and take it with me at work. There, I will eat it any time I fell hungry' this can be as early as 8:00 and as late as 12:30. In really rare occasions, I will eat it as soon as I make it (around 6:30). I for and it easier to have no hard rule since quality is more important for me over schedule, habit or convenience.

So, technically sometimes I skip breakfast and have (breakfast for)lunch.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It is very different for different people. If I IF, I end up overeating at night, and can't stop. If I start with a significant breakfast, and a good sized lunch, I don't eat much at night, and tend to lose weight.

BUT a HUGE amount of people can IF without binging at lunch and eating endlessly at dinner.

I also find that when I eat bigger meals, I start getting hungrier and hungrier and more obsessed with food and expectation of a meal. Grazing seems to work better for me. I am not at all annoyed by eating 5+ times a day like some people are. They feel liberated if they get to eat only once or twice a day and they easily get enough food in to hold them over for many hours.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-29-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I don’t eat breakfast and I don’t snack so lunch is my first meal of the day. One of the reasons I don’t eat breakfast is because I am not the least bit hungry in the morning. So why eat? On the rare occasion that I am hungry in the morning, then I will eat a light breakfast, such as 3 eggs. Also, all meals are “important”, regardless of timing. Do what works for you.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I haven't had AM calories for years. Last time I was invited to breakfast dining I could only down a side salad and iced tea.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

hedwards is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is very different for different people. If I IF, I end up overeating at night, and can't stop. If I start with a significant breakfast, and a good sized lunch, I don't eat much at night, and tend to lose weight.

BUT a HUGE amount of people can IF without binging at lunch and eating endlessly at dinner.

I also find that when I eat bigger meals, I start getting hungrier and hungrier and more obsessed with food and expectation of a meal. Grazing seems to work better for me. I am not at all annoyed by eating 5+ times a day like some people are. They feel liberated if they get to eat only once or twice a day and they easily get enough food in to hold them over for many hours.
    Sounds like there's something going on there. When you break the fast, you should be hungry, but not so hungry that you devour everything in sight. The advice handed to me, and it seems to work, is that some supplementation can be useful. Coconut oil or fish oil at the beginning and end of the fast. And if you get really hungry midway, then there's always metamucil or citracel to give you a bit of fullness.

It's worth noting, that with these recommendations, the intention is that you're still eating a proper amount of calories on a daily basis. And that you're not doing long fasts more than once or twice a week.

I've been at it for nearly 2 weeks, and I'm going to be taking tomorrow off from it, and just eat sensible 3 squares.

Just realize that there are health benefits that come from short fasts on a regular basis. Things like increased increased growth hormones in the brain. And, oddly enough, increased metabolism.

I took (and keep taking) glucomannan and I tried coconut oil in the Shangri-La protocol, drunk broth - and no matter what I did, in the end, after a few days of even mild, 14-16 hrs fasting window days, I binged and started to gain weight. It is not a character flaw, it is just that I do well on smaller, more frequent meals nowadays, both physically and psychologically. It actually allows me not to eat when I am not hungry. When i fast, I start exhibiting abnormal behaviors described in literature for the individuals who are derived of food. I hoard, plan meals, cook and shop for food obsessively, dream of food, crumble food in the tiniest bits, and can never have enough once I start eating. When I don't fast, I become a normal person who thinks cooking is a chore, and food is food, and have no problems stopping eating... because you know, i can always eat again if I am hungry, even if it is 8:48 am.

Katharina is offline Member
    I can't stomach breakfast, and for a while I tried, because I didn't think I could go to school and stand + walk around a kitchen for 5-6 hours without a good breakfast in me. I then remembered that when I was younger, from around age 10-18 (I'm 22 now) I actually never ate breakfast, and sometimes I'd even skip lunch without a problem if I hadn't brought food or money to school. Before I ever heard of primal. So I decided to try it skipping it again. I quickly realized that bringing a big lunch was too much as well - I simply function better on little food in the first half of the day, and a bigger meal (not even that big - I struggle to get enough calories in a day, so I enjoy chocolate and fruit in the evening sometimes) in the evening. When I'm in the school, and food is cooking on the stoves, it's random when I have breaks, so sometimes I'll eat my tiny lunch (2 eggs, a carrot and a banana) at 9:30 and sometimes at 13:30. It's all about personal preference, as others have stated, as long as you don't feel deprived of energy! I'm more energetic when my body isn't busy digesting food (but that could be due to my body not handling alot of food too well - I started primal because of IBS and gut issues. Off topic tho hehe).

So, basically, just listen to your body

hedwards is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I took (and keep taking) glucomannan and I tried coconut oil in the Shangri-La protocol, drunk broth - and no matter what I did, in the end, after a few days of even mild, 14-16 hrs fasting window days, I binged and started to gain weight. It is not a character flaw, it is just that I do well on smaller, more frequent meals nowadays, both physically and psychologically. It actually allows me not to eat when I am not hungry. When i fast, I start exhibiting abnormal behaviors described in literature for the individuals who are derived of food. I hoard, plan meals, cook and shop for food obsessively, dream of food, crumble food in the tiniest bits, and can never have enough once I start eating. When I don't fast, I become a normal person who thinks cooking is a chore, and food is food, and have no problems stopping eating... because you know, i can always eat again if I am hungry, even if it is 8:48 am.
    I never said it was a character flaw, but it does sound like there's something going on there, as you shouldn't be getting that hungry that soon. The reason why I'm bringing it up is that 14-16 hours of fasting is a really short period of time in which to be having these sorts of problems. Blood glucose shouldn't even be dropping to a meaningful degree until 18 or so hours out.

Around here people commonly eat at 6 or so in the evening and not again until 7 or latter. Which means a normal 12-13 hour period of time without eating. And on the weekends when folks tend to sleep in, that period is somewhat longer.

Not that it's really any of my business, just food for thought. It just sounds like there's something abnormal going on here.

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    If I eat a big dinner and go to sleep reasonably early, I am not hungry in the morning. If I don't, I am.

Not that it's really any of my business, just food for thought. It just sounds like there's something abnormal going on here.
    It's not abnormal. Just different folks have different metabolic and cycadian patterns. It is great to experiment, but in the end, going with what makes you thrive rather than suffer is a good idea. A person who can't look at food early in the morning, should not stuff herself; a person who feels that the clock will never strike noon, is probably better off with eating first thing and not worrying about time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast