Thread: Stalls from Dairy page

dallytante is offline Member

Stalls from Dairy

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

Are there any studies that explain why dairy seems to stall weight/fat loss for certain individuals? What are possible explanations?

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I think milk is known to stimulate/increase insulin beyond the simple effect of the sugars it contains. Mark has written an article about this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy...#axzz2dCZ9LqFs

dallytante is offline Member
    I saw that article, but Mark didn't go into the glucagon response, which can also be quite high.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I don't know of any studies, but full fat dairy can really add up calories.
    Last edited by Graycat; 08-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.

hedwards is offline Member
    IIRC, a lot of the low fat milks out there contain added sugar to make them more palatable. Unfortunately, that's usually the low fat and non-fat milk that gets the most added sugar.

Not sure which dairy products the OP is asking about, so I'm not sure if that would be relevant.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Inflammation appears to be behind a lot of weight gain. If you don't fully tolerate dairy, it will cause inflammation. Might be low level and only manifest as weight gain although eschewing it for a month then reintroducing generally provokes a reaction if you're sensitive
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

slatesekx is offline Junior Member
    I don't know of any studies

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    Hey,

Are there any studies that explain why dairy seems to stall weight/fat loss for certain individuals? What are possible explanations?
    I think whey and casein are very insulinogenic (is that the correct word ?) so if you drink that all day long, you can be sure that your fat stores will not release free fatty acids easily with all that insulin floating around ...

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I have no problems with it but my hunch is that people new to shopping and cooking will come home with a pile of butter, cream, and cheese but not sure what reasonable measurements looks like. Tablespoons are our friends.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

hedwards is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I have no problems with it but my hunch is that people new to shopping and cooking will come home with a pile of butter, cream, and cheese but not sure what reasonable measurements looks like. Tablespoons are our friends.
    And that kids is why I spend a little bit more and buy so many things in single serve sizes. I hate what it does to the environment, but it means that when I do over eat, that I have a natural thought break before things get out of hand. It's just so easy to forget how much you've already consumed, and then you've got an empty 2 liter bottle of soda and realize that you've drank the whole thing in less than two days.