Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How much fruit is too much fruit? page 5

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a fat fruitarian?
    Usually more like a muscle wasting disease. Interesting thing is to look at studies that revolve around PUFA and sugar. It is rather facinating and it makes me both understand some ideas from the fruit/sugar side and refute them. PUFA without the presence of too much sugar does not tend to coorelate with liver or pancreatic disorder whatsoever. But you add in sugar and bam.... "Non-alchoholic fatty liver"...... then remove the PUFA, but keep the sugar and again you have less/no issues. So... as the saying goes.... pick your poison. Just don't choose more than one of em

^Oh, and usually we aren't talking about natural sources of either just to be clear. I really don't believe there are any studies anywhere that indicate ill health from whole food source of PUFA or carbs. My personal low carb leanings are due to theoretical benefits to longevity and health along with a preference for that sort of food/lifestyle.

But, I did have 2 oranges and a potato the other day..... grand total of about 100g/carbs I would guess. No veggies or dairy to muck up the guesstimation either. But, yeah that was a lift day and I'm not trying to lose weight....if anything just a bit of the opposite.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-31-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    That's not PUFA's only problem, but there will never be long term studies because too many variables can occur. The only thing that a "whole food" PUFA source can provide is vitamin e, which saturates to some extent the unsaturated fat. Maybe the niacin too. Though, it's not clear to what extent it protects, and I would go so far as to say not very much at all. It would still serve in your best interest to keep PUFA very low in favor of saturated fat, so that at least the ratio would help along with the vitamin e.

You know, Neckhammer, why many older societies didn't have thyroid issues? Traces of thyroid was found in nearly every part of the animal, and they ate the glands, before meat started getting tightly regulated. I would say it's probably natural for everyone to be taking desiccated thyroid gland unless they're consuming thyroid glands themselves.
    nihil

JenPoston is offline Member
    Alright. Well. That taught me a lesson. Don't ever friggin mention fruit/sugar on this forum again. :/ Apparently everybody is an expert and they all get their info from different sources. Ha!

Didn't mean to spark a debate here. The MDA pyramid says to eat fruit in moderation and I was curious about that. Eating ZERO pieces of fruit is not practical for me, I'd never be able to maintain a Primal lifestyle. I'd totally give up. Congrats to you if that works for you. I think I'll stick to what I've got going on right now, maintaining 50ish carbs a day with a couple lower sugar fruits thrown in each day to keep me sane and happy.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    @JenPoston
    If you want my opinion, if your meal is a full meal (fat / protein / carbs), adding a serving of fruit is no concern whatsoever. If now you snack on fruits in between meals, that's a slightly different story and I would say it is contextual (workout vs no workout at all, inter-prandial duration, how you feel, want a treat, etc). In general, I would say not to sweat it unless you want to do 30 bananas a day on top of your normal meals

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You can eat as much fruit as you want, don't limit it to lower sugar sources. Fruit isn't going to make you fat, nor should it only be eaten in moderation in context of a healthy diet. Fruit gets a bad reputation in alternative health circles lately, because of the same distorted, handpicked studies posted by self-acclaimed gurus. It's bad when you listen to someone without doing your own experimenting and researching into the subject.

Fruit has been consumed forever, it's the only food that clearly wants to be eaten(the seeds repopulate the tree, repopulate the Earth, eating fruit won't kill the whole plant unlike green vegetables which have toxic defense mechanisms to deter mammals from eating them). I love fruit, and feel much better when I even eat 70% of my calories from it from time to time.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
    I disagree with your fruit and raw vegan statements, having been one for years.

I was a frutitarian even did strict 80-10-10 for a year. Ended up mentally ill and with eating disorders. Kept trying to stay on it and was always failing. Took me a long while to realize on my own that I needed a higher fat diet because I noticed that with fat I wasn't as sick and wasn't horrifyingly depressed. I began doing more standard raw vegan fare and didn't worry about calories or fat content so much. But still stuck to fruit focused. I would get dizzy, could not stand up quickly, would have to hold myself up when going up stairs because of the vertigo, and actually learned how to walk and move around with blurred vision and wooziness.

Since paleo/primal this has all stopped and I'm losing body fat. Low carb, high fat, high protein.

I certainly wasn't *skinny* but definitely was sickly. Skinny doesn't mean healthy.
    Yo, i think you just didnt carb the fuck up!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yo, i think you just didnt carb the fuck up!
    You may wish to stop channeling GIR when you post.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    When you eat so much fruit that you barely make it to the toilet the next morning, then you likely have eaten too much.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
    You may wish to stop channeling GIR when you post.
    Lol! Actually i was doing my best Durian Rider impression.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JenPoston View Post
    I have 50lbs of fat to lose, so fat/weight loss is my #1 goal. I'm reading and reading and reading as much as possible as quickly as possible.

You know, they always tell you "count your calories! do your cardio!" I've never known to count macro-nutrients before. I'm slowly figuring it out. Looks like my very fruit heavy lunch wasn't so awful after all.

I'm getting there.. slowly but surely.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast