Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desk job - ideas to stay active page

jodi29 is offline Member

Desk job - ideas to stay active

Primal Fuel
    Hi All

I was wondering what others do to stay somewhat active if they have a desk job and sit all day long.

I get two 15-minute breaks (which I usually don't take) and an hour lunch. At lunch, I take 15-20 minutes to eat and then spend the rest of my time walking. I can usually get in two miles in 30 minutes. I just feel terrible for always sitting. This definitely isn't how Grok lived. But there's nothing I can do about it except take advantage of the breaks I'm allowed. I will try to get in a workout before or after work as well. Also, (and this may sound a little weird) I started a daily squat challenge and there's so many of them to do (yesterday's was 235) that its impossible to do them all in one session. So when I have to use the restroom at work, I will also do some squats in the stall. It gets my heart rate up and I can get in the day's squat goal fairly easily.

Anyway, is anyone else in this situation? What do you do throughout the day to be active?

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    I have a kettlebell in my cube. I take a break every 30 or 40 minutes and do KB swings or goblet squats, etc.

KT79 is offline Member
    I put my monitor on a stack of boxes so I can stand up at my desk whenever I want. I do calf raises, squats or tricep dips when no one's looking.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I move around a lot, making sure that the staff that works for me are sitting at their desk and doing their job properly...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

Cave Bird is offline Member
    I do push ups and tricept dips against my credenza.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I walk, run, ice-skate or roller blade at lunch (our office tower is right by a park), and eat at my desk while working throughout the day. I stretch in the quiet room or an empty meeting room. I go for a circle or two around he floor. I tried working standing but that did not work well for me. I got too tired and work did not get done.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    I walk around a lot asking "What's Happening?" and about the proper cover sheet for TPS reports. Did you get that memo?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Use your breaks to the maximum. Also, do something before and after work and use your potty breaks to just walk around a bit extra.

I used to set a timer that went off and told me to do something such as climb a few flights of stairs or do some pushups. Nowadays I just say I need to walk over to the other building to deliver something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    At least once an hour I go to the furthest bathroom away from me (3 stories up, and ~100 yards over). I drink a lot of water, but sometimes I just check my hair.

If it's slow and I can get away with being away from my desk, I just walk around.

I use my lunch hour to workout. Luckily my gym is a quick drive from my office since winters are too cold to do anything outside.

After sitting for 10+ years I finally got a standing desk! Before standing, I used to stand while on the phone or whenever I could. Now I fidget a lot. I pace side to side, do leg lifts, squat, whatever to just move while standing.

ama1776 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    At least once an hour I go to the furthest bathroom away from me (3 stories up, and ~100 yards over). I drink a lot of water, but sometimes I just check my hair.

If it's slow and I can get away with being away from my desk, I just walk around.

I use my lunch hour to workout. Luckily my gym is a quick drive from my office since winters are too cold to do anything outside.

After sitting for 10+ years I finally got a standing desk! Before standing, I used to stand while on the phone or whenever I could. Now I fidget a lot. I pace side to side, do leg lifts, squat, whatever to just move while standing.
    Please elaborate on your standing desk setup. I tried with some cheap ikea stuff but never got it to my liking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast