Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Behavoir Question page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Social Behavoir Question

Shop Now
    People invited to dinner exhibit different behaviors. At some homes, the women gather together in the kitchen, the men somewhere else. At other homes men and women group together, sometimes splitting into 2 groups or so.

Is there a 'normal'? What is normal for you? What behavior is most common in your geographic location?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Pre-game the women hang out together and gossip. The men hang out and tell each other lies about the fish they caught. When the game starts everyone gets together and screams at Mathias Kiwanuka for missing a sack on Romo.

GO BIG BLUE!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    People invited to dinner exhibit different behaviors. At some homes, the women gather together in the kitchen, the men somewhere else. At other homes men and women group together, sometimes splitting into 2 groups or so.

Is there a 'normal'? What is normal for you? What behavior is most common in your geographic location?
    Me surrounded by women...

Usually big get-togethers are mostly split by age group. It's more split by the sexes when the party starts, and it's mostly mixed by the time it's cooling down. A redneck party is my kind of party, but I've been to posh parties full of attorneys too (among others), and they all seem to work that way. In my opinion, the least socially dysfunctional groups are the rednecks.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Most of the parties I attend involve all of the women dancing in the center of the space with all of the men forming a ring of eyes around them.

At family gatherings it is common for the women to clean up and chat in the kitchen while the men entertain the children in the den or outside but there is always comingling which does not seem to be breaking any code of conduct or anything.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Party? What is this "party" you speak of?
    At family get togethers, the cooking inclined folks tend to gather in the kitchen to help prep food, while the non cooking folks congregate around the telly. Once the food's ready, we all either traipse outside and sit in a huge group, with conversations going every which way, or sit at the table, with conversation going every which way. Once the food's done, the hunting/ drinking/ geek inclined folks tend to congregate around the fire pit, while everyone else congregates once again by the tv.
    At our usual Saturday get together, everyone congregates in the living room until we figure out a game plan, then we either split up to go to the computers or all traipse into the other living room to watch anime.
    Beyond that, I got nothin'.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I always feel uncomfortable at dinner parties because I feel more at ease hanging around and talking with men than hanging around in the kitchen with the women. Unless the men are into sports and then I just feel like I want to go home.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    We could probably brainstorm some algebra based on the function of rhythm and volume of music as it relates to the proximity of compatible genitals
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    I think the kitchen congregation is because of the counters. You can lean on them.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I think the kitchen congregation is because of the counters. You can lean on them.
    I thought they were for making sandwiches.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    This is where intoxication comes in... because social situations require lubricant. And I assure you, I am well-lubed before I deal with any other human beings.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast